Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Quick release clevis pins....  Bottom

• Any one use them? I will have my boat with the rigging up this year on Lake Winnebago (Oshkosh, WI) but trailered it in the past two and found it to be a real pain trying to fine the clevis pin retainers on the pavement at the launch. I friend I sail with suggested quick release pins but I don't know how they work or a good source for them. He indicated that they are fail safe as far as releasing underway but I'd like to have other opinions.

Thanks,

Kevin-

• I have used them on the jib sail and main sheet blocks and have not had them fail, I would not use them on the standing rigging, I don't know if I trust them that much.
    Try E-bay

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • Clevis pins are solid and quick release pins are hollow. You be the judge
  • I agree, I use them on just about everything except what keeps the mast up. I have them on my boom connections and main block connections, but not on my shrouds.

I did use them on my H16 forestay since the tension was removed from it with the jib halyard. That made it easier for my inexperienced crew to get the forestay pinned.

I am not worried about the pin releasing, I am worried about it bending since it is a hollow thinner walled tube instead of a solid pin. I have seen bent solid pins before, so would imagine the quick pin would have bent more.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i would not use them in a high stress area

they are know to seize up if not removed and cleaned often

i would never use them on a clew plate of any sail (esp a h18 boom) .. the brass plate will worm a larger hole and you will lose that sail at the worst time (dont ask me how i know)
  • Just curious are you completely de-rigging the side stays and everything each time? My side stays and trap lines go on at the beginning of the season and pretty much stay put til the end of the season. I coil them up and tuck em under the hiking straps and attach them there with some nifty velcro fasteners. I try to leave as much together as I can get away with in order to make setup time shorter. I'd even leave my rudder assembly attached if I thought I could rig it to be safe and secure for trailering.

The only thing I have with rings each time are the pin that holds the boom to the mast and I am looking for a quick pin for that. and the ring on the mast step hinge pin and I don't even use that half the time a just a put bolt thorough it with a wing nut on the end.

edited by: Quarath, Mar 22, 2010 - 10:36 AM

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quote I would never use them on a clew plate of any sail (esp a h18 boom) .. the brass plate will worm a larger hole and you will lose that sail at the worst time (dont ask me how i know)

How is the quick pin any different then a pin and ring on this application? I use a quick pin on my clew plate to boom on my H18. Just curious how the same diameter quick pin is different then a pin and ring connection. I will make sure to monitor my clew plate condition though.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
    How is the quick pin any different then a pin and ring on this application? I use a quick pin on my clew plate to boom on my H18. Just curious how the same diameter quick pin is different then a pin and ring connection. I will make sure to monitor my clew plate condition though

extreemly good point... i see little difference except the ring-ding on the end.. which isn't gonna do squat ...

i am fairly certain this is a good spot for a shackle vs a pin.

a little more story behind my "incident"... i learned this lesson when trying to tack (right next to a seawall/bridge) when the clew plate hole decided it was to big and the pin crapped out (or crept out). i quickly learned a flapping main = no steering and I was being blowin into the seawall. my crew was able to re-pin (or find a shackle) when i was about .0000005 inches away from destroying my h18.

the brass on a clew plate is MUCH softer than the Stainless Steel of a pin or shackle
  • As I stated before one is hollow and one is solid, in my opinion quite different. I only sail in the Atlantic and try and take any precaution against failure that I can, sure things can still happen. If you are 15-20 miles from home or 5-6 miles off shore small things can mean a lot. I have been sailing beach cats since the mid 70's and have had quite a few things happen. I learned early on to try and prevent what ever you can and put the highest percentage of safety on your side.
    smfinley
    Quote I would never use them on a clew plate of any sail (esp a h18 boom) .. the brass plate will worm a larger hole and you will lose that sail at the worst time (dont ask me how i know)

How is the quick pin any different then a pin and ring on this application? I use a quick pin on my clew plate to boom on my H18. Just curious how the same diameter quick pin is different then a pin and ring connection. I will make sure to monitor my clew plate condition though.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.