Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

good source for running rigging?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• My dad and I are in the final (and most difficult) stage of restoring a Prindle 19, having gotten most of the parts we need. Now, we are searching for a good source for all of the sheets and rigging needed. The boat was left uncovered outside for about 10 years so all of the old lines are now mostly decomposed. I was wondering if anyone on here can refer me to a good but low-cost source for the lines we?ll need. Thanks!

Barberhauler - 1/4? (6mm) x 18? (487.7cm) - White New England V-100 or Yale Crystalyne

Batten Ties - 3/32? (2mm) x 22? (55.9cm) - White (11) Marlow Excel Pro or Excel Racing

Downhaul - 1/4? (6mm) x 15? (457.2cm) ? White New England V-100 or Yale Crystalyne

Jib Block Adjustment - 1/4" (6mm) x 9' (274.3cm) White New England Sta-Set or Samson XLS Extra

Jib Clew Bridle - 3/16? (5mm) x 6? (182.9cm) ? White Yale Vectrus 12 this is an uncovered 12 strand line

Jib Halyard - 5/32? (4mm) x 22' (670.6cm) - Black (2) Marlow Excel Racing or New England Spyder Line Yale Vectrus 12

Jib Sheet - 5/16? (8mm) x 33? (1005.8cm) ? Color Maffioli Swiftcord, Yale Conception, New England Sta-Set, Samson Trophy Braid

Main Halyard - 3/16? (5mm) x 61' (1859.3cm) ? White Marlow Excel Racing or New England Spyder Line

Mast Rotator - 3/16? (5mm) x 5? (152.4cm) ? White Marlow Excel Racing or New England Spyder Line

Rudder Pull Up - 1/4? (6mm) x 5? (152.4cm) - White (2) Marlow Super Pre-Stretch or Marlow Excel Pro

Trapeze Adjustment - 1/4? (6mm) x 3' 6" (106.7cm) - White (4) Marlow Super Pre-Stretch or Marlow Excel Pro

Traveler - 5/16? (8mm) x 10? (304.8cm) ? Color Maffioli Swiftcord, Yale Conception, New England Sta-Set, Samson Trophy Braid

• murray's catamaran accessories on line is a good company, west marine carries line if you have one local or they sell online also.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • west marine has the WORST selection of line i have ever seen. you will not find all your needs there.

I use JSI for most of my lines (newjsi.com)

also rick white's site sells line (catsailor.com)

There is also http://www.apsltd.com/ - they are great

and http://www.saltydogmarine.com/product_info.php?products_id=3152
  • Your 1/4 in lines can all be downsized to 3/16. Unless you are heavy then you may want the trap lines 1/4.

Main Halyard, Jib Sheet, Downhaul, Barberhauler and mast rotation are all at the mainbeam controled by the crew, don't do all white, it's hard to tell which line to pull.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • yea, but i can walk into west today if i need it today, otherwise you can shop it.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Checkout http://www.sailrite.com. They have a pretty good selection of line and it's cheaper than West Marine and Murrays.
  • Check http://www.apsltd.com great selection. Check the Rack for great mark downs on spool ends.

edited by: beachsailor, Mar 03, 2010 - 02:13 PM
  • I needed to replace everything, the kit from Salty Dog (Andrew listed the link above) was very well priced.

Milwaukee Rigging has great prices on Sta-Set products.
  • careful. i think that link was for a P16.
  • Thanks for the feedback, folks. I have always had great service from APS, and their prices are very reasonable. I put together a spreadsheet to compare the different types of line and their price. I bolded the least expensive in most cases, but I might splurge to Yale Crystalline on the sheets so save some wear on my hands.

This is of course just FYI - I thought it was interesting to see the price difference and how it adds up with the different lengths.

APS Cordage Site

My spreadsheet on Google Docs
  • I love the dynema blends for sheets. soft on the hands, bite for the cleats and some are reasonably priced (salsa, robline racing, etc)
  • Finally placed my order with APS over the weekend. Here's what it looks like:

Marlow Excel Pro for most of the miscellaneous adjustments
    Marlow Super Pre-Stretch for the halyards
    New England Bzz Line for jib/main/traveller sheets
    Marlow Excel Pro for Barberhauler and Downhaul
    Yale Vectrus 12 for Jib Clew Bridle
    New England Sta-Set for the Jib Block adjustment.

Came to about $150 for the complete package.

Any opinions?
  • It's going to be sweet to have all new lines on board.

Be sure and give us a review on how your choices do the job, how they feel etc.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I would use 3/16 for the rudder control lines.

I had trouble getting the 1/4" line through the holes in the tiller arms. 3/16" line worked better for me.

I have a P16 and not the P19, but I think that they are the same. icon_confused

edited by: kinlawk, Apr 26, 2010 - 02:46 PM
  • I'll have to see how it works out; may need to drill out the hole a little bit if the Excel Pro is too big. Actually thinking about ditching the rudder lines anyway and going with the locking pin mechanisim discussed in other parts of this forum.

I'll definitely post my findings on here once I get it rigged up.
  • I ordered all my new line with APS in January. The have an annual 25% off sale on rigging and cordage in January. They were super helpful and fast! We will have to compare notes to see what works the best.

My order broke down like this:

Yale Vectrus 12 1/4" Tramp Lacing and Jib Wire replacement.
    New England VPC 10mm (3/8") - Main Sheet
    New England VPC 8mm (5/16") - Jib Sheets
    Samson Ultralite (5/16") - Barberhaulers
    New England VPC 6mm (1/4") - Jib halyard,downhauls and rudder controls
    Solcor 5/16" - elastomer for rudder kickup
    New England Finish Line 1/8" - batton ties

A you can tell, I like the vectran blends. In hindsight the VPC line may be a little slippery but not any worse than sta-set. It will likely be fine after it breaks in a bit. I also got a pile of shrink whip, the stuff works awesome to finish the ends. Turns out they are just heat strink tubes for electrical wires and you can get them cheap at the local hardware store!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Great thread. With your advice I ordered lines today from APS (their mis-cut, spool end sale area is great):
    8mm Robline Racing Sheet 40' Jib Sheet red
    8mm Robline Racing Sheet 8' Traveler blue
    9mm Robline Racing Sheet 38' Main Sheet blue
    4mm Swiftcord Main Halyard tail 32' green
    Hopes this works, my first time measuring twice.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • kinlawkI would use 3/16 for the rudder control lines.

I had trouble getting the 1/4" line through the holes in the tiller arms. 3/16" line worked better for me.

I have a P16 and not the P19, but I think that they are the same. icon_confused edited by: kinlawk, Apr 26, 2010 - 02:46 PM

I agree, but don't skimp on quality here use good line for your rudders.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Stock lengths of running rigging are as follows
    Jib Sheet 38' pf 5/16" (40' is perfect)
    Traveler 10' of 5/16" (8' is enough, maybe just a tad short but you should still be able to travel to each hull)
    Main Sheet 40' of 3/8" (38' is enough)
    Main Halyard (no idea but the mast is 30' so 32' should be fine).

Sounds like you did good. All my running rigging comes from the APS sale bin.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Wolf,
    Thanks, I was a bit worried; have not sailed her to know if the current lengths were appropriate.
    Was there a stock length document you got those from? Could you point me there? I have lurked around the manual but couldn't find these. Or should I just start from the beginning and read through.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.