Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Loss of a great sailing advocate in Texas  Bottom

• David Luckenbach of Sailing Texas has lost his battle with cancer this week. His website was a great source of information for research on types of craft to "how to sail" videos as well as his "for sale" listing service that was free. He was a great advocate of our sport and has introduced many new faces over the past years to the joy of sailing. His wife Alison is planning on the continuation of his beloved site, which is wonderful. I will miss seeing him at regattas.

Cheers to you David!
  • Oh, I hate to hear that. I never met David and sorry to say I haven't been in contact with him for some time, but in the earlier days of TheBeachcats.com and SailingTexas.com we used to exchange emails often and spoke by phone several times, comparing notes on website issues and talking about sailing.

I know that David spent an incredible amount of his time working on his website http://www.sailingtexas.com and helping fellow sailors.

He was a special guy, he was only diagnosed last May 2009 with brain and lung cancer and managed to completely document his fight over the next ten months right on his website. Pictures, xrays, hospital videos and all! Even closeup pictures of the 34 staples that put his skull back together after brain surgery last May. He did it hoping to help someone else in the future by showing the treatments that are possible these days.
    http://www.sailingtexas.com/Cancer/cancer1.html

If anyone is in contact with Alison, please let her know that I would be glad to help her with any web related stuff that comes up while she is coping with everything. I'll send an email but I'm sure she is covered up with them.

RIP David Luckenbach

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • cancer sucks and i hate it. over the past year my wifes brain cancer came back with a vengance. after reading david's story it sounded much like hers except hers is limited to the brain and not life threatening, she's one of the lucky ones(thank god!)but this silent killer is constantly taking names. my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends who loved him. rest in peace david.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Damon I have sent word to her her as well. Being in Central Texas, we tend to run in the same circles. I would volunteer my servies at regattas and would always run into David and Alison. I even found a video of myself sailing on their website from an area lake. Funny Stuff. I will seriously miss seeing him. Thanks for being a great guy too.

Here is a link to his tribute page:

http://sailingtexas.com/Cancer/tribute.html

edited by: turtlecat, Mar 01, 2010 - 10:02 AM
  • QuoteIf anyone is in contact with Alison, please let her know that I would be glad to help her with any web related stuff that comes up while she is coping with everything.

I have made contact. She said she will be in touch with you directly. Thanks!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.