Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

washing ropes and sails  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• hello
    was wondering if i could throw my rope in the washer in a rope bag, and how should i wash the main and jib sails, just soap and water or something special
    thanks
  • That is always a tough proposition.

I'm not sure ropes are easily washable.

Sails should be washed very carefully various soaps can dissolve the resin out of the dacron. They can be cleaned on a relatively flat surface, say a driveway, using a very mild soap (specific sail cleaner is best) and a stiff brush. And definitely don't walk on them while cleaning!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • lines can be soaked in a bucket of hot water to release any built up salts. they can be rinsed and soaked in fabric softner overnight and they should be good as new.

There are different oppinions about washing your sails. most sailmakers suggewst you rinse and THOUROUGHLY dry your sails after every use. some say this is silly and build up salts dont "scratch or hurt the sails". I personally try to rinse off my sails if i capsize, or after a few dozen uses.

i would suggest you simply attach your sails to a cloths line (or rope tied from tree to tree) and spray then down with a garden hose. leave em out to dry and your done. DO NOT PUT SAILS in a washing machine... (imho)

If you put them on the ground on a rough surface be careful not to drag them around as this could wear on any thing it touches.
  • I have washed my lines in the clothes washer in a mesh bag, it worked out fine.
    I have sent my sails to Sailcare.com twice now (once my old MacGregor sails and now the Prindle sails), they come back really clean and very stiff. My jib cost $50 and main $90 for cleaning and re-resining. They do great repair work too.

edited by: kgatesman, Feb 09, 2010 - 03:38 PM
  • What is re-resining?
  • soaking ropes in a bucket of water diluted 5% - 10% with bleachbrings back the clean, rinse and soak in fabric softener. Sails........http://www.wash-safe.com/…qj5ZLKpp4CFQoeDQodz2ahmw

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • interesting product Turbo.. last line says "Not for use with nylon sails." (isn't dacron a polyester? is that the same thing?)

PS they recommend you use a hot tub? hahah.. i prefer to wash my car in the hot tub! :)

edited by: andrewscott, Feb 09, 2010 - 12:34 PM
  • Re-resining is what Sailcare calls restoring the stiffness after they clean your sails.

From their website:

There are 100,000 sails in use today that have been given new life with sail cleaning and re-resining, sail repair and modification, and custom graphics by Sail Care.
  • I've washed climbing ropes in a front load washer with great success. Recommended practice for those is to daisy chain them first and use a very small amount of a woolite type detergent and then just hang dry. Don't know how different sailing ropes would be.
  • Just a quick note:
    A rope is only a rope when it doesn't have a purpose, such as still being on a spool. Once it has a "purpose" such as being used as a haylard it becomes a line. Thats from a swordfish boat captain on Cape Cod who use to teach classes with chewing tobaco in his mouth and swallow the spit. I never questioned it beyond that icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
  • My understanding is: A rope is a rope, but when it is for a control (main/jib/spin/ halyard?) then its a sheet :)

so your downhaul is a sheet, but your tie down for your cooler is a rope :)

It does get confusing if you tie up your gf, as it may be considered a "controlling" action

edited by: andrewscott, Feb 10, 2010 - 09:46 AM
  • I have washed several ropes/lines/sheets. DO NOT just toss them in your agitator washer, DO NOT DO IT. Don't ask how I know this, just don't do it!
    If you have a front load toss them in with some regular detergent, just make sure there are no shackles etc still attached. If they are really dirty soak them in a bucket with soapy water overnight. The front loads will spin nearly all the water out of them, & they will dry outside very quickly. It is also amazing how much better they will look.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ah, someone who has broken the agitator in their washing machine. Betcha got yelled at!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Worse than that Dave. The damage to the agitator was not evident at the time. It was on the next load, where my young brides fancy bras got twisted into pulp between the drum & agitator!
    To add insult to injury bras do not even make useful pretty coloured rags! I thought I was saving what was at the time a $100 climbing rope, should have just bought a new rope.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Oh no! That hurts on so many levels and can't even fathom it! Broken machine, mad mate, granny bras from now on and you didn't even get any rags out of the deal! And they say men don't have as much emotional baggage as women! Hah.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Oh man, bras are way expensive too, it does not take to many bras to equal one good line.

edited by: kgatesman, Feb 11, 2010 - 12:56 PM
  • 10$ buys a moo moo that can cover up 400 pounds of buffet busting fat woman, 40$ buys a handful of material to cover a few square inches of boob thats already cover up. i guess thats how victoria's secret got rich and you never hear about watoosies house of moo moo.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Hey Coastrat, that $10 is not nearly as pretty as that $40 deal. How good are the lines you buy? I'll bet they feel really good as they pass through your hands.
  • victoria's secret needs to make a sexy line of line. that way you get you hands on there product even more, they could have a sale: buy 2 bras get 40' 7/16" "angel satin" racing line for 10 bucks! if they sold cat parts in there then its the greatest store ever(maybe sell cold beer and ice, bar-b-que,bait/tackle,boat registration site, you know,gas, cheesy poofs, stripper outfits and stuff...YOU LISTENING VICTORIAS SECRET?

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • You had me at CHEESY POOFS!!!! :)

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.