Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Oversized trailering  Bottom

• Has anyone here legally trailered a catamaran that is over 8' beam?
    I know the fee is like $10 for the permit and you only have 72 hours to use it.

I cannot find the requirements if a "lead" car is required etc.

I did have this boat disassembled and trailer retracted in to legal road width. It is not something I would like to go through again. I would rather assemble and trailer as "wide load", only about 15 miles of back road and some US 9 in NJ to deal with twice a season (boat kept on floating dock).
  • Most people with wide boats (tornados, 18sq, etc) use a tilt trailor (one side tilts upward so the width is only 8 ft). I would look into converting your trailor to that. Not sure how much of a pain it might be though.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Unless the NJ police are really anal, I wouldn't worry about it. I've trailered my H21se at full width to both Miami and Key Largo from Titusville without any problems. But I do drive later at night when there is less traffic. If this is a one time thing you may want to loosen the tramp and pull the taper pins and slide the hulls in to the 8' width. Be sure to adjust the trailer width too, which the TrailerX trailer is designed to do, or it will all be for nothing.

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • Just to clarify what is likely an oversite, most state regulations for trailer widths allow 8'6", not 8' . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • I agree with trailering it full width. You are talking about it sticking out 3 inches per side. Just make sure you lights are working, tag is in order, flag on the mast and use your turn signals when required. I have never been stopped with my nacra 6.0 or my P-19 when I was traveling, but I always made sure everything was in order and did not speed. I did get stopped one time when I was trailering a Hobie 16 with a Toyota Corrola and the cop told me that I needed full view mirrors. I recall that it was in Va or Md
  • The Hobie 21 SE is almost 10 feet wide. I think you are thinking of the SC which was 8'6". If you tailor the SE flat you could run into problems, if you pass the police along the way. It is really noticeably wide.

You likely woudn't have problems actually doing it, unless your roads are really narrow, but it is illegal without the proper permit and the fine is likely ridiculous.

Or you could just move up here.:) I've seen some people towing crazy things on our roads! Last year I got stuck behind someone towing a trailor with a complete 20' wide octagonal gazebo on it! The stupid thing looked like it would collapse at any second even though he was only going about 15 MPH. Now that was dangerous. I had to pass on the gravel shoulder on the wrong side of the road.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I have a friend that trailored a 21SE expanded behind a 3/4 ton pick-up with a big slide in camper in the back of it. Behind that the wide load 21SE didn't look like a wide load. Also seen them pulled behind RV's and again don't look overly wide. I think if your tow vehicle is 8'+ wide the foot the boat sticks out each side really isn't noticable. If you are towing it with a sedan or compact pick-up it would look huge back there.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • if you only move the boat twice a year, then i would get the permit and ask them what you need to do. easier than breaking down boat and trailor not to mention peace of mind(no huge ticket if caught). there may also be some liability associated with oversized loads. 10 bucks sounds like a bargain.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • These last two races that I participated in, most of the other boats are broken down completely; including removing all shroud lines, rudders, tramp, crossbars....everything! Pulling the taper pins seems relatively simple compared to this!

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • Beware of mail boxes.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.