Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Required/Suggested Gear for N20 sailing  Bottom

• Hi all. Appreciate the responses on my last post regarding broken mast base casting. Here's the next one:

I am new to catamaran sailing. What type of gear should I get (or need to get) in order to sail my N20 (safely). Just trying to compile a list. I'll be sailing in the Chesapeake Bay, MD. Mostly short races for a while.

I'm thinking a PFD, harness, and dry or wetsuit are a must, but I've been told GPS navigation/radio is highly recommended. Any other suggestions from more experienced racers out there? Thanks
  • You really want some good gloves and a righting system that you are comfortable with.
  • Safety gear has been discussed numerous times here, and other forums. I think the key is really what the environment you are sailing in is. If you are mostly doing short racing you are likely out with other sail boats and support boats so survival gear is less important then say if you were sailing in the open ocean without other boats around.

I agree with gloves and righting system. I also always carry a whistle, a VHF radio, and cat-tool in my pfd, plus a small bag of spare hardware on the boat. I would consider those the bare minimum and add gear depending on what you are doing. I have whistles in my spare pfd's also so crew has them as well. On a small inland lake I wouldn't both with the VHF.

When racing you might pack a lunch and some water depending on how the races are organized.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • you should do a search on this site as there was extensive discussion and lists...

PS a whistle (or other audible gear is actually a requirement of the coastguard). that is also another good place to look for suggestions, and a boater safety course can save you money on boat insurance and who knows.. maybe a life (even your own) :)
  • I always carry a pair of those extendable paddles and a throw bag (both requirements for a marine vessel in Canada). Certainly a PFD for each person (wear it!), small first aid kit could be handy.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Also, its the ability to practice. Have you ever righted a cat? Probably don't want your first time to be out of necessity in a dangerous situation with loved ones aboard. A righting system is always a great idea, but the knowledge and pratice of using it is priceless on a bad day. Besides, on those hot days with little wind, a practice flip can be pretty fun :)

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.