Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 or Prindle 19?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi everybody. I am planning to change my dear but old P18 and I would like to know your suggestion. I mix some racing with friends with family rides, and I still don't know what to choose a classic P19 (not MX) or a Nacra 5.8. They're obviously used boats.
    Thanks from Chile. icon_smile
  • I guess it depends on a few factors.

Coming from a P18 the learning curve is likely not a big deal going to a P19. I also like the Prindle for the kick up centreboards. The 5.8 has the advantage of still being in production with a very large fleet. There could be some problem getting a couple of the the parts for the Prindle, although most are still available.

The 5.8 is a slightly more modern design with the wave piercing hulls but the Prindle can still hold its own speed wise. I'm not sure which is better behaved for family, but I suspect the Prindle is probably less of a beast. I would look more at condition and price than anything when making the decision unless you like the looks/layout of one better than the other.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Dave is right, condition, condition, condition if the prices are close to the same. I have owned both and they are truly fast boats. A few differences are the P-19 has a 8'6" beam as the 5.8 is 8', centeboards verus dagger boards, the P-19 has a 4 way jib lead system the 5.8 does not. I believe the nacra 5.8 has a better system for putting the rudders down. I found that both boats were quite fast but I think the nacra was better going to weather in a very stiff wind and the P-19 was faster off the wind. The pre 1983 nacras were glass layup insted of foam sandwich construction which would be a concern to me. Let us know how you make out.
  • If you like to race is it just against friends or in fleets? If so does one boat have a more active racing group in your area?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thank you very much Dave and Hullflyer for your clear and fast answers. I will ponder all of your comments. I?m slightly inclined to buy a Nacra.
    Answering Scott I tell you that races are between friends. My experience with fleets is that racing fast cats could be very dangerous; you don?t have much time to react as in a Laser and some people takes it as a battle for winning.
    Here we have much more Prindles than Nacras. The competitive fleet is about a 10% of Hobies, 60% Prindle and the rest Nacra and Tornado. I realize that in terms of supplies and possibilities to resell the boat, choosing a Nacra would be an issue to consider.
    Regards,
    Rodrigo
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between the foam sandwich and fiberglass. My 1981 Nacra is just fiberglass with no extra floatation. Besides the disconcerting tendancy for the hulls to oilcan when you walk on the sides while righting I haven't had any real concerns. Easier to repair if needed also.

If there are lots of Prindles locally, that may be the way to go as far as the social and know how aspect.

edited by: Wolfman, Jan 19, 2010 - 09:04 AM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Sounds like you have two good options and it may come down to the right boat and the right time and price. Probably can't go wrong with either in your situation. Best of luck and enjoy your new (to you) boat once you find it.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Here is an excerpt from the Ultimate Catamaran Buyers Guide: Interesting that they are reviewed in sequence.....I love my 5.8NA so I'm biased but I'd say condition would be the determining factor. Ease of trailering would favor the 5.8.

The NACRA 5.8NA is an incredible machine with virtually unlimited inshore and offshore performance. Spinnakers and reachers can be added to make these boats competitive in the PRO offshore races. The NACRA 5.8 has been around since the about 1982 when the boats were built of fiberglass with no foam core sandwich construction. This made the boats quite a bit heavier than the current production versions. A pre-1985 NACRA 5.8 is fifty or so pounds heavier and quite a bit less expensive than more current models. They are quite a bit slower though downwind. A NACRA 5.8 of say 1984 vintage is worth approximately $2200 while a 1986 has a market value of $3400. The foam core boats are much stronger and more durable. NACRA's unique hull design makes it an outstanding boat in rough offshore conditions and in very light conditions. The newer boats have mylar mainsails and high quality dacron jibs. One of the best features for the consumer is the lack of items subject to failure on these boats. All harken blocks mean you have a lifetime warranty on your blocks. The rudder system is so simple there is very little to wear down or break. The trampoline is made of polypropylene material and is vastly superior to vynal There is a strong California fleet with State Championships held every year. A strong and active dealer network in Southern California continues to make this fleet grow. If the NACRA is not quite the look you like, then consider the Prindle 19.

The Prindle 19 was patterned after the International Class Tornado. The rotating centerboards and general hull shape are very similar to the Prindle 18-2 but the sail area is quite a bit larger. This makes the Prindle 19 the perfect boat for two good size people to sail on. The boat will accommodate up to 400lbs of crew weight and still be competitive on a National level. The sails are the newest technology mylar and dacron. The Prindle 19 is similar to the NACRA 5.8 in performance. Neither boat should be purchased by the first time sailor as it is very powerful and can be very intimidating to a novice. The Prindle 19 has an outstanding fleet in Southern California and boasts the fastest growing fleet of any manufacturer in the US!

• Larry, when was that published (as prices/values may have changed).

If you sail in an area with lots of shallows.. centerboards that will (hopefully) kick up are a great thing to have..
  • Thank you Scott, Larry and Andrew. Great insights for a decision. I?m really impressed with your fast and fully committed answers. No matter how far we may be, cat sailors have a unique stamina, a common passion that goes far beyond our boats. I?ll share with you my decision. My only lost with this change is that my children love my current mainsail, full of colors. I?d need lots of creativity to bring colors to white boats and sails.
    Regards,
    Rodrigo
  • QuoteLarry, when was that published (as prices/values may have changed).

pre 2004 I think. I like it for its quick review of the boats but agree values have changed
  • Personally I don't see why anyone who has such a boat for recreation and fun rather than competing in races would want daggerboards. Even kickup centerboards can get damaged at that speed if you hit something, but imagine the destruction it will do to daggerboards and box.

Dan
  • i don't race (often).. but there isn't another boat on the market i would prefer than my mystere.

there is no other boat with the hull volume, tramp area, ability to bury the bows in heaavy air, and tacks well without boards.
  • Quotethere is no other boat with the hull volume, tramp area, ability to bury the bows in heaavy air, and tacks well without boards.

I don't like the daggers much. The #**!!!!! beach pebbles get stuck in the boxes all the time, although I will be fixing that this spring by opening them up a tad. I'd like em even less if I had tides and sandbars to contend with. That said I agree with Andrew and apply this to Nacra as well. We love the ability to sail high into the wind, the hull volume, the ability to drive hard without pitchpole.
  • Larry, what about adding some gaskets to the bottom of the hulls? this MAY help (esp when ashore). we mystere guys use 3" center slot tape and adhere it with contact cement. if your problem is while sailing (hard to believe you get rocks in there while moving.. ) you can trim the tape around the board... just an idea (perhaps a bad one, but sounds like i might try that before modifying your hulls)
  • Quotecat sailors have a unique stamina, a common passion

Funny my gf says the exact opposite (just kidding)
  • QuoteLarry, what about adding some gaskets to the bottom of the hulls? this MAY help (esp when ashore). we mystere guys use 3" center slot tape and adhere it with contact cement.

Andrew...Can you send a pic? My problem, finally figured this out when I bought a second set of boards from the factory, is that the previous owners glassed in the trunk bottoms in the belief that this would reduce drag. The pebbles get caught in the narrow gap. Obviously my current boards are also modified which means I'm screwed if I break one. My dealer suggested carefully sanding the boxes back to original shape. (removing the extra material) I'd like to see your solution however.
  • sure

edited by: andrewscott, Jan 20, 2010 - 07:45 PM
  • So what did rodrigo/pintue get a P19 or else? I did go for a P19 I love the boat and for the shallows like here in Tampa bay I did not wanted daggers so center boards, the P19 was the decision...
  • Hello everyone
    At last I bought a wonderful P19. The boat is in an incredibly good shape; hulls, sails, mast. My family doesn?t get used to a full white main sail, I think it?s just a matter of time. I have many questions about tuning up the boat. The main one is which could be the proper way to assemble the barberhauler. I?d been looking for some scheme, picture or draw in the web, but I couldn?t find anything. Please if someone have an idea, I appreciate your help.
    Greetings from Chile
    icon_smile

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.