Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Lynn "Oley" Olson Passed Away December 11, 2009  Bottom

• I just got news that the beachcat world, and the world at large, has lost a great sailor and companion. Oley Olson improved any regatta he attended with his positive nature and excellent sailing skills. All season he had been suffering what he thought was a minor back injury which caused him considerable pain, but he still competed in demanding spin boat (F16 class) regattas.

Here is the email from Joanna, his long time crew announcing the Memorial to be held in Chattanooga, TN on Jan 2, 2010.

-----
    Hello All-

For those who may not have heard Oley passed away on Dec 11th.

He was diagnosed with an aggressive advanced cancer soon after we returned from the Global Challenge. This had been the cause of his back pain. The disease and progression was quick and he did not want people to be worried about him.

In respect of his wishes there will be no formal funeral plans. We will have a memorial here in Chattanooga. The thing Oley asked is for people to have a beer in his honor.

He will be missed. His love of sailing and life was infectious.

Memorial/Celebration will be held at the Privateer Yacht Club (privateeryachtclub.org) in Hixson,(Chattanooga) TN on Jan 2nd, between 4PM and 7PM EST.

If you have any photos you would like to share or leave for his sister to cherish please bring them along.

Three local hotels within a few miles of the club are:

Country Inn Suites
    423-308-2333
    5105 Hwy 153, Hixson TN 37343

Hampton Inn
    423-877-3100
    1920 Hamill Rd, Hixson, TN 37343

Holiday Inn Express
    423-877-6464
    4820 Hixson Pk, Hixson, TN 37343

If you have any questions or notes you would like to share with family please send them to

jdlquilts

@hotmail

.com.

Please forward this e-mail to whoever you know that I have missed-

Thank you-
    Joanna

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • my condolences to the friends and family, cancer is a silent, sneaky killer and deserves to be kicked squarely in the nutz. over the same time period my wife had emergency brain surgery to remove a tumor that caused a rapid loss of function to the left side of her body. thank god and dr. roger smith at ochsners hospital in new orleans for saving her life and restoring function to what was lost. we were the lucky ones and my heart goes out to those who lost someone. the night before her surgery i realized how lucky we are to sail beachcats, everone that i have ever brought out on the boat absolutely loved it. this season, i plan on taking out as many people as possible(cancer patients and other people who could use a great time). i urge all of you to share this great sport, it might just be the best time of someones life!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • My sympathy and prayers go out to the surviving family and friends of Oley Olson.

I never knew him, but he sounds like he was a good samaritan, well a natured chap and a great asset to the sailing world. I'm glad to hear that he had the pleasure and passion of sailing to make his life in this world a enjoyable one as well as the enjoyment he brought to others.

I'm sure he'll be missed by many.

Jim

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.