Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

parts help  Bottom

• Just bought a 1980 Hobie Cat that is in great shape, with a couple of exceptions. The hulls are in great shape, and the rigging is all fairly new. However, there's a wear hole (maybe a power line burn hole) near the top of the mast. Should I just put a plate over this hole? It's about 1/2 inch at his longest opening.

Also, there's what's left of a compass aft of the trampoline. I can't seem to find anything like it on the web. Anyone have any experience replacing this compass?

Can't seem to figure out how to upload and link pics. I'll find a way soon, though.

thanks!
  • Congrats on the new boat. Hope you enjoy it, I know I enjoyed my first H16. The Compass aft of the trampoline would have been an aftermarket add on. So it could have come from anywhere.

Does your mast have a fiberglass top section or is it solid Aluminum all the way up? The newer masts have the comptip and many of the older ones were converted to a comp tip. If you decide to patch the mast, make sure you seal the hole and make the mast water tight. That is needed for when you flip the boat, to make righting the boat much easier.

Enjoy you new toy.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Here's a pic of the hole in the mast. Is this from rub? ...or power line or lightening strike?

All alum mast, btw.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=71299

edited by: iSaint, Dec 17, 2009 - 01:13 PM
  • Here's a pic of said compass. Doesn't look aftermarket to me, but that's why I'm asking you experienced sailors!

http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=71318
  • That compass was not original. That location at the rear would be right where you often sit. Seems like you might try to find a better location for a compass if you need one. I have never needed a compass since I am always in view of shore when sailing. I would opt for a GPS in my PFD pocket before using a compass to navigate, but that is just me.

Not sure where that hole in the mast would have come from. Make sure it is filled somehow and water tight before you ever flip your boat. Might be able to use epoxy or something similar to seal the hole.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Nick,
    I see you are flying the OSYC burgee. Have we meet?

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummpNick,
    I see you are flying the OSYC burgee. Have we meet?

Possibly. I had to drop out last summer due to family issues. I helped Steve C get the kids summer classes going and learned a lot about sailing from him.
  • congrats on the new cat!

the mast..i dont know how that hole was made.. but it looks like a relatively easy repair for any spar shop.. i hate to say this but i have had bad experiences with going to welders that don't know marine welding.. so i recommend a spar shop.. should be less than $150 to weld (guess).. you could try marine tex or some other epoxy or something before welding BUT you really really should follow the advice of sealing it PRIOR to sailing (IMHO).\

That compass is not standard (stock) on any hobie... and looks like a poor location (as noted). Murrays.com sells a few.
  • QuoteI have never needed a compass since I am always in view of shore when sailing. I would opt for a GPS in my PFD pocket before using a compass to navigate, but that is just me.

This picture is from this past sunday.
    visibility went down to about 30' and i was following my friend who had his gps out.. otherwise.. i was about 50Degrees off where i thought i was..

We saw at least 4 powerboats completely out of the channel, could hear 1 aground somewhere and saw 2 or 3 boats FLYING around (probably with radar, but scary to see a powerboat at the last second coming close)

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs095.snc3/16264_199859618601_530203601_3053371_7110951_n.jpg

Last years Hangover Regatta had every weather condition possible (minus snow) and we had 15 boats sailing in the gulf of Mexico COMPLETELY LOST. at least 6 boats huddled together and disagreed on what direction land was for over an hour.. and lost a few boats after that (from their group) and couldn't re-group.

ALL of these guys now carry a simple $2 compass somewhere on their boat.. (I DO TO in my emergency bag). I have an Iphone with a GPS and HOPE to never get caught in sea fog in the gulf

Started to clear up here a little
    http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs095.snc3/16264_199859653601_530203601_3053372_5465307_n.jpg

This is 45 minutes before the fog rolled in (clear as glass) but you can see the fog in the background.. we were about 5 miles south of "home". most cats stopped 1/2 way and waited 2 hours or more to let it clear.. It didnt and they hit the beach (in the fog) around sunset.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs095.snc3/16264_199858228601_530203601_3053296_2930899_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs115.snc3/16264_199859443601_530203601_3053348_947125_n.jpg

edited by: andrewscott, Dec 17, 2009 - 03:27 PM
  • I would be scared poopless to sail in 30' visibility in the ocean.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI would be scared poopless to sail in 30' visibility in the ocean.

It is not all that fun. I had a very good friend/sailor and his 5 year old onboard.. it was "all eyes on the lookout".
  • whats up nick? bill here, we live in hattiesburg and sail out of biloxi(launch next to biloxi y.c.). had big fun this summer on the '78 p-16, doing some repairs and cosmetics now. let us know when you get her on the water, i'd like to make the horn island trip with some other boats(last solo adventure a little too much adventure). i've got a project h-16 that i'm looking for parts, if you know any good parts boats i'd appreciate it(mast sails, blocks, etc.). take it easy, bill

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I can't wait for my first Horn Island trip! I'll try to be more active here and let you know when I plan on going out.
  • oh yeah, WHO DAT!!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.