Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Brand New Hobie 18 Hulls from Hobie  Bottom

• Here's something interesting I just received from Hobie 18 guru Stephen Cooley.

Read the Article and pass the info on to anyone who might be interested.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/Article330.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • After listing a perfectly good set of white H-18 hulls including crossbeams for $400 on L.A.'s craiglist for over a month this summer and for lack of storage finally cutting them up for the dump, I can't imagine anyone coughing up $6950 plus another $1000 for tax & shipping for H-18 hulls. Pete
  • Pete,
    Did you not put an ad on this website? Your hulls would have found a home. What a shame . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • pbegleAfter listing a perfectly good set of white H-18 hulls including crossbeams for $400 on L.A.'s craiglist for over a month this summer and for lack of storage finally cutting them up for the dump, I can't imagine anyone coughing up $6950 plus another $1000 for tax & shipping for H-18 hulls. Pete

That's sad, those would have found a buyer here. You needed national (international) advertising for those hulls. Unfortunately very few beachcat sailors in LA.

There may be more beachcat sailors in that other LA (Lower Alabama) than in Los Angeles. icon_evil
  • Shipping a hull would be the problem. I would have to drive 4 hour round trip just to buy the box (& pay for it), then another 4 hours to ship it. The decline in cat sailing in So. Cal. is largely due to escalating storage cost. Picked up a Prindle near Long Beach airport last month as owner was facing $170/mo storage costs. Mast up storage at Marina del Rey for same boat is $150/mo. Pete
  • It's true shipping is a problem for hulls, but you'd be surprised how far people will drive to get the boat or parts they want. I personally know someone who drove 1,500 miles for a single replacement hull.

The new Hobie 18 hulls will go to Hobie 18 fans who would like to have a "new" Hobie 18 even though they are discontinued.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The proof of my previous post is the nearly new '82 H-18 in Lake Tahoe listed on eBay for $3299 without one bid and only two days to go. Pete
  • I just drove 2.5 hours, each way for replacement H16 hulls. They were cheap, but better than what I had....
  • Wow! 2.5 hr drive, insane huh? I drove from my place up to Traverse City MI to pick up a H18 I won on e-bay, 12 hr drive, I get there and the guy does not have the trailer ready for the road, I wait 4 hrs for him to get the trailer lights working and when that fails, I turn around and drive 12 hrs home, empty-handed. Then I find a H16 here on this site in Stephens Point WI, 10 hr drive, but I come back with an awesome boat, 78 H16 and the hulls are solid. She cleaned up real good.

So please stop with the nancy-fits about distance. If you're dedicated enough, put in the effort. I live in a sailing dead-zone and am prepared to drive, I'm dedicated, or insane, not too sure which...... icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • One of my friends this spring drove from California to Michigan to pick up a H21SE. He found the right boat and drove a long way to get it. I drove 8 hours each way once to get a H16. Took a new trailer light kit with me just incase the current ones were no good, which they weren't.

That sucks Turbohobo that you drove that far and didn't get the boat.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteI'm dedicated, or insane, not too sure which......

so many ways to go here..... but i will take the high road...

(your insane) :)
  • Quote(your insane) :)

Thanks Dude!....(approval from the most venerated one from the village of Dunedin, I must prove worthy, I will press on gallantly....bravely....I will slay dragons....I will sail unchartered seas... icon_cool

QuoteThat sucks Turbohobo that you drove that far and didn't get the boat

Maybe a good thing, I saw later that the boat was sold as a parts boat to HobieMill out of OH, perhaps it was a lemon

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • LOL... the MOST venerated??? that might be a slight stretch... perhaps most verminated.. :)
  • I've lurked this site for a while but finally had to register just to say as an H18 sailor from "the other LA(Lower Alabama).....I nearly shed a tear reading about a good set of hulls being chopped up and dumped.

They were too far away for me anyway, but H18 parts are getting harder and harder to come by. I plan on spending my winter (aka January around here) fixing some pretty bad soft spots in the side of my port hull.

I took my boat out yesterday trying to get a little wind off hurricane Ida that's coming in today, the wind was pretty tame, but the water was rough and the spray was cold.
  • About a month ago I spotted a forlorn looking H-18 next to the road outside a resort town in NW Wisconsin. Hulls bleached but solid. It was a consignment sale thru the little bait and liquor store, the guy shared a lot of stories about it's owner who is selling because of health problems. Didn't ask about the sails or running rigging but I thought dang that boats got some sail left in her but I had just bought a H-16. Tell you what though I got the phone # and am going to drive up there in spring and purchase that boat if it's available, road trip to buy a boat, didn't think twice about the distance and I felt I could get parts thru beachcats or other sites. I think it's about 800 miles round trip.

--
    eddiecat

Nacra 5.0 (destroyed in storm)
    Hobie 16 (restored)
    Nacra 5.5- amalgam "Franken Cat"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.