Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beachcat - Hobie 16  Bottom

• I bought for some years ago the 2 hulls of a Hobie 16,
    I need all the rest to start sailing it.
    I live in Phuket in Thailand and normaly we have light winds.
    Would it be possiply to make the hulls longer and also put a longer mast and more sails on it?
    If I decide to do this, should I then make it wider ?
    I can not have it to heavy since I might have to haul it up the beach alone.
    Or would it be a shame to change a Hobie 16 ?
    I have difficult to find Hobie parts in Thailand.
    Thanks for any answer. Bo
  • don't shame the hobie, find parts(all).

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • It depends on what you want to use it for. The Hobie 16 is great for one or two people bombing around fast. It is simple and light and fast. You can take more than two people but it won't perform well. If you regularly want to take more than two out sailing, maybe you could lengthen it, but be sure to keep the length/beam ratio at about 2/1.

There should be more Hobie 16 parts out there than any other catamaran parts since the Hobie 16 is by far the most common beach cat out there.

Honestly you will probably spend more money getting all the parts than you would finding a complete catamaran somewhere else. The cost of all the parts add up.

• So Phuket is a tourist spot right? There must be a fleet/clubs there and with fleets come "bone yards" from which you might cobble the parts together. Might not be however given the tragic events of a few years back. There is a lot of boat missing if you have only the hulls.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.