Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Black Telltails  Bottom

• All,
    I have been trying to find some black telltails but haven't had any luck. Does anyone know where to find them? I tried Murray's and West Marine but all they have are orange ones. I am thinking of coloring orange ones with a black magic marker but I am afraid the color may bleed onto my sail.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • I couldn't see red telltails very well against my orange sails. I got black ones from Murrays. I believe there are five pairs in each set. Part number is 10-1002 at $6.95 per set.

edited by: sunvista, Oct 22, 2009 - 02:17 PM
  • i wouldnt "paint" the red ones black.. they will surley bleed.

red is typically used for starboard side, black for port.
    keep looking, they are around.

PS Doyle (sail makers) put homemade ones on my sail when they did a repair. they were much fatter than the store bought type. they were very loud (compared to the regular ones which i never "heard") but they were easier to see and read (even through the main)
  • Any sailmaker should have them
  • Has anyone used VHS video tape? If so, does it last?
  • I use cassette tape on my bridals as wind indicator (pretty sure its basically the same thing)...

magnetic tape does not last long. it has no UV protection and all the "rust" will wear/fall off within a few sails.
  • The "Black Beauty" Tell Tales in the Hobie catalog are very good, easy to see and durable.

You can get them from your local Hobie dealer or if you don't have one call Key Sailing 877-932-7272

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Can't you cut them using the cloth of an old umbrella?

Dan
  • Take an ice pick and make a small hole in the sail where you want the tell tail. You want to push the threads apart not cut them. Work a black piece of yarn through the hole. The cloth of the sail will tighten up around the yarn and hold it in place. These don't stick to a wet sail as bad as the ribbon ones do. My sails are Dacron.

edited by: skarr1, Oct 23, 2009 - 08:15 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.