Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P-18 weather helm port vs. starboard  Bottom

• I have been doing some tuning on my P-18 to get the correct weather helm. I have leaned the mast back and adjusted the rudders out a few turns. Now I have what feels like the correct helm on a Starboard tack but on the Port tack I can turn loose of the tiller and drink half a beer before heading up. Any ideas why this might be? I can't see anything different port vs. starboard.

Bill Beach
  • maybe you drank to many beers first? *kiddin)

shroud tension the same (even) on each side?
    spreader tension the same?
    spreaders bent upward on one side?
    rudder pinching in (toe)?
    one rudder raked under more than the other?

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 19, 2009 - 03:02 PM
  • Shroud and spreader tension are the same on each side. I will take a look at the spreaders. The rudders are not pinching and the rake looks the same on each side.

Bill
  • Make sure the rudder blades are angled correctly. also it's VERY easy to mount the tiller assembly/blades wrong...ie; the left blade on the right side. The casting has a "L" on it.

I ran into this a couple of times with my P-18. I would remove the entire assembly/blades while trailoring. I would end up with weird handling problems and discovered that I had swung the blades around when re-mounting everything.
  • nesdogMake sure the rudder blades are angled correctly. also it's VERY easy to mount the tiller assembly/blades wrong...ie; the left blade on the right side. The casting has a "L" on it.

I ran into this a couple of times with my P-18. I would remove the entire assembly/blades while trailoring. I would end up with weird handling problems and discovered that I had swung the blades around when re-mounting everything.

I will check it out this weekend. Thanks
  • Make sure both shrouds are the same length, not just in the same hole in the adjuster. One side might have been replaced.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.