Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Buying a NACRA 5.2  Bottom

• Avast me hearties!

I'm going to check out a 1980 NACRA 5.2 on Monday. I think it's a pretty good deal, but I'm new to multihulls and have no idea what to look for as far as wear, missing pieces, ect.
    I know Hobie 16's are kind of notorious for soft hulls, but is this something I should be concerned about with the Nacra?
    Any advice on what to look for when I go to inspect the boat?

Thanks in advance-
  • A 1980 Nacra shouldn't have delamination problems like a Hobie 16. There is no foam laminated into the fibreglass (no foam at all really). that being said the deck shouldn't flex a lot. If you push on the side of the hull it will flex quite a bit (oil can), that is normal because the hulls are relatively thin fibreglass. Look around the beam straps and the tramp tracks for stress cracking. Look for cracks in the daggerboard wells (a crack in the lip at the front of the well is normal). Look at the bottom of the hulls for cracks and excessive wear from beaching.

Also look at the mast step system. If it is originally the ball will be 1 1/4" in diameter. The newer system uses a beefier 1.5" ball. It is simple to replace the bottom casting on the mast and the step rod/ball but will cost about $150.

Check out this buying guide:
    http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

There is a good checklist near the bottom of the page on the 5.2.

I just got a 1981 5.2 this year and LOVE IT!!! They still make replacement parts for everything except the hulls and I have seen many of those for sale used. Really easy to sail even single handed, tacks well, very forgiving and FAST. I prefer it to my old Hobie 16 in almost every way except the dagger boards are a bit to get used to and the rudder system is different (a 1980 likely doesn't have the popup rudder system but it is relatively inexpensive to add).

If you get it an have any questions feel free to e-mail me any time at snowdogarmoury@yahoo.ca and I will try and point you in the right direction.

Regards,
    Dave Bonin

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
    I'm going to check out a 1980 NACRA 5.2 on Monday. I think it's a pretty good deal, but I'm new to multihulls and have no idea what to look for as far as wear, missing pieces, ect.
    I know Hobie 16's are kind of notorious for soft hulls, but is this something I should be concerned about with the Nacra?
    Any advice on what to look for when I go to inspect the boat?

Did you end up buying the 5.2 or? I'm considering purchasing one ('81 model)

Chad

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.