Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H17 questions  Bottom

• Hi, all i'am wondering if some of you H17 owners or previous owners could give me some insight on an H17 not a sport or SE just a H17 with wings good shape everything works has been taken care of.I also own a H16 and have owned other cats but am curious as to the difference i will notice from a H16 to a single hander is this going to a faster boat does it ride better,i quess how will it compare to my H16 overall.Thanks ahead of time everyone,much appreciated.Thanks Brad.

edited by: brjonair, Oct 02, 2009 - 04:16 PM
  • presumably it will be easier to solo as it was designed as a single hander and has less sail area

less sail area will generally mean not as fast

if not the SE or sport then it is uni-rigged?

if so expect to have to brush up on your tacking as lazy tacks will send you into irons

without the jib force feeding the back of the sail you will have to play the traveller a lot more on reaches for best speed

those are the bad bits

the good bits are that having experience on an over powered 2nd handed cat that the solo cat will be less intimidating and a more relaxed sail. so you may find yourself sailing more in a wider range of conditions kicked back on those wings

edited by: erice, Oct 03, 2009 - 06:05 AM
  • The 17 is different from the 16, it is a one man cat unless you have a light-weight with you for a short ride... it will take 2 but it like 1.... The 17 is faster and does ride better, (not so bouncy)... If you can pick up a jib sail, get it... it makes a world of difference. I think you live in Mich. so yer sailin season should be just about over?? When you take the seats out~~ cover the holes with a good tape... you don't snow & water going down there, it will freeze & crack the seat-holes and they're hard to repair~~ I have the same issue from a previous owner... I have a SUPER jib on mine. I have picts of it the the 'photo members area'~~ look for 'popeyes place' icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.