Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Adjusting dolphin striker  Bottom

• On my P18-2 there is less up and down play than the 1/4" described in the manual; all the same I thought of adjusting it a tad tighter.

However, the thing won't budge, tapping it with a hammer at the same time won't do it. The screw on the bottom cannot be removed either. Any suggestions?

I definitely want to avoid breaking the part as I'm in a remote location. Making a replacement out of bamboo and fishing line is not my favorite option icon_smile Worse even if it should break off inside the thread of the mast base...

Thanks,
    Dan
  • I wouldn't touch it. Where are you?
  • OK--won't touch it again for a while.

I'm in the Philippines, Subic bay. Wind is pretty ok; 6 to 8 knots nearly everyday between 11 am and 3pm.

Dan
  • Hi Dan, have you tried spraying it with PB Blaster or similar rust remover?

PS i had orders to Cubi Point in 1990 and was looking forward to all the mugunda women there.. but the base closing changed my plans.. i had many friends who were there, and many brought home wives...

Glad i didnt go... i would have gotten in alot of trouble at "adult Disneyland" and would have had to work my ass off with base closings.. I think it was much easier to just go to desert shield/storm :)
  • Less than 1/4 inch play should be okay. When there is more play you have a chance of the front crossbar breaking. When the boat goes over waves or chop the mast weight and shroud tension all end up at the dolphin striker bar, and if there is too much play it could cause the front crossbar to fail. I have seen it happen before to a boat under sail. The mast went straight down, and the hulls without a crossbar to hold the front together were forced to spread out and ripped them from the rear crossbar, Not a pretty sight.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.