Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie Cat--- Trapeze and Rudders  Bottom

• Hey I just bought a Hobie 16 without a trapeze. What would the the approximate cost for adding one to the Cat? How exactly is it attached?
    Also, the Hobie came with some old rudders that are chipped. One rudder is cracked. CAn I fix these or should I buy new rudders?
  • there are basically 3 bits to a trapeze

1. the wire from the mast hound
    2. the loop you hook on to and the rope+bungee to the hull
    3. the harness that allows you to hook on

1. come in pairs so you'll have to decided if you want 1 pair or 2 pairs. the length is pretty important so you'll need some from or made up for a h16

2. the loop/dog bone, rope and bungee etc also come in pairs but they can come from petty much any boat so can range from brand new and expensive to very cheap 2nd hand

3. harnesses also big range in price. i'm happy with a 2nd hand wind surfer harness with spreader bar i got for $10 (have had to re-sew it though as the non-slip on the hull wore out the seat) or you can up to $300 for a new full harness

start looking on ebay and download the murrays pdf catalogue to your computer and go through that

rudders
    old hobie 16 rudders made from the plastic stuff break all the time. and often in a big blow 1 can break after the other..........so be careful if sailing at sea

fibreglass ones can be repaired but are more expensive to buy
  • the cheap plastic ones are vinyl .
    they can be repaired if the brake but basically they get brittle with age and if they break 1 time, they probably will again... i would spend the 130(each) and replace or even better ... upgrade

as per the trap gear/ people sell used hobie equip all the time on this site and others... you should be able to find that gear used...

but you may also want to hold off on more expense a little while and hone your sailing skills before you add the extra challenges of the trap (unless you sail in big air.. and then you will want/need the extra weight to hold down the hull)

Its not that hard.. but takes practice

edited by: andrewscott, Sep 19, 2009 - 04:03 AM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.