Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast Step Link/Spring - Hobie 16  Bottom

• Just bought my 1st H16 Thursday and had its maiden voyage Sunday. wOW! I couldn't believe the pull on the tiller and the lovely whirring sound at the rudder. NE-ways the mast step link was bent when I bought it, so I hammered and formed it back into shape in order to get on the water, however the spring seems to be shot and I should replace the link since it started to crack. I noticed on some replacement step links that the kit no longer includes the spring. Does the spring do anything? I noticed that when stepping mast, that the mast tends to "pivot over center." In other words, the mast goes up fine, but it seems the front of the mast base (male) tends to get caught up going into the mast step (female) once nearly upright. I then have to pull the mast back a bit for it to seat. 1) is this normal 2)is this probably just because the link probably wasn't bent to factory angle (I tried my best hammer & vise skills) 3) does the spring help prevent this and if so, why doesn't the new link kit #21380001 not include the spring?
  • Welcome to the club of cat sailin.... If yer link started to crack~~ REPLACE IT, they don't have springs in them anymore. I used to take my step link off after I raised my mast... so if you turtle (upside down) your cat the link won't get busted... I've had that trouble before with the mast base not lining up, but I just lived with it but I do live on the lake so I just left the mast up untill fall/winter, then took the cats out for the season. If you raise & lower the mast each time get another step mast link

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • The old style step hinge causes the mast to overshoot the step if you don't manually guide it in. You were lucky to catch this. I broke my mast base off twice before I realized what was happening. Throw that hinge away and buy a new one.
  • since the hinge works on the h14 and the h16 (with different holes) there is "play" in it. you must make sure it seats.

I had someone help push the mast (or at least hold it in place) as i stepped my h16mast to make sure it was correct.

I agree with both replace the unit and to remove it after stepping.. besides a capsize.. it can get flipped up and cause damage under sail
  • Thanks. The new mast step link has arrived (less spring). I'll keep you posted as to whether it helps with the slight pivoting over center. I would have never thought to remove the link after stepping, but will do so from now on.
  • You could also try a small bungy to hold it down. Most sailing days it will stay down with gravity, but when you flip or in moderate to heavy air where the boat is bouncing fairly well is when you need to worry about it getting caught on something.

When I would raise a H16 mast it always took a little pull back on the bottom of the mast to get the mast the seat properly. I would get it most of the way up and then put my left hand lower on the mast and give it a pull backwards towards me to get it to sitdown in the base. After doing it for a while I didn't even realize I was doing it until someone else would try to raise the mast and ask what the problem was. So hipefully the new step link solves your problem, but don't be surprised if you still have the problem at least a little.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.