Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Installing a self tacking jib and spinnaker on a Tornado  Bottom

• I'm refurbishing a 1973 Panthercraft Tornado. Planning on adding a self tacking jib from Harken.
    And custom making a Spinnaker kit from a windsurfer mast someone specified 13'1" hope that's right since I already cut the mast to be the new pole. What I'm looking for is maybe someone to send me some pictures of the lines and cables on one that's really set up right meaning max performance etc. Like where to install the various blocks cables lines etc. Otherwise I'll be guessing from various photos and drawings I've found. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Great boat. My email address is seakayak2@yahoo.com Thanks - Mike

P.S. Found that raising and lowering the mast is a cinch with temporary side stays (cables using the jib halyard attached to the front cross bar.) and a temporary hard floor made from using 5 2 by 4's and 2 2' by 8' plywood sheets Works great in case someone could use the suggestion sometime. Nothing quite like a bent mast to screw up your day. Works perfect.

edited by: strategy, Aug 11, 2009 - 12:30 AM
  • i dont think there are to many T guys here...

you might get more responce at a Tornado forum..

i would try either catsailor.com or www.tornado.org
  • Did you complete the project? Was thinking other would be nice to do the same. I will post over on the yahoo board too.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • 13.1 is the correct lenght for a "T"
    John, feel free to ask any questions here... i'm sure I can answer (or some of the others)

Quote making a Spinnaker kit from a windsurfer mast someone specified 13'1" hope that's right since I already cut the mast to be the new pole.
  • I have a self tacker unit meant for an F18 infusion... it's got the car (no block). Haven't posted it because it's got a slight crack a couple inches from the end. I don't expect it would ever fail. Would sell it cheap if someone wants it for $150. Todd@nacrasailing.com
  • I've used windsurf masts for spin poles on a variety of 18 and 20 cats, and have broken a few in the process. At 13 + feet, consider mating two lower (larger dia) mast section together to get that length. Using 13' of a tapered carbon mast might be a bit wimpy for the loads a spin for a 20' boat will generate.
  • I've used windsurf masts for spin poles on a variety of 18 and 20 cats, and have broken a few in the process. At 13 + feet, consider mating two lower (larger dia) mast section together to get that length. Using 13' of a tapered carbon mast might be a bit wimpy for the loads a spin for a 20' boat will generate.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.