Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Repairing holes in sail  Bottom

• A mouse ate through the sail, making a few holes, one about 2 inches long. How should this be repaired? It's difficult to near impossible getting Dacron patches in this location. I was thinking of using material from an umbrella for patches on both sides and get it sewed. Maybe glue it as well?

Over here, they know nothing whatsoever about sewing sails (and neither do I--haha), so some recommendations for the type of stitches are also highly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • You can order dacron sail repair tape from West Marine, cost is about $12 it is adhesive backed. Cut 2 pieces (one for each side of the sail) just a little larger than the repair area, and round the ends, peal the backing off and put one on each side. I have found that dacron sail repair tape holds the best.
  • You could see if a local awning/canvass repair place could do the reapir. Failing that, tape patches for the season and then ship them to a place like Melges in WI for repair.

Keep that sail box closed! (Happened to me long ago!)
  • Tape will only last so long... you should have patches sewn in. Any canvas shop should be able to help,
  • Don't forget to shoot the mouse... icon_eek

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.