Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

~~18 Hobie mast leak~~  Bottom

• Hi guys... I have a problem & question icon_confused You already know the problem--LEAK, I have a comp. tip Hobie 18 mast and the only place where water is coming out is where the comp joins the metal mast, and it leakin at the grove/channel where the sail slides... Is it possible to fix the leak there or would I have to try to take the comp tip out?? How far does the comp slide into the mast?? ETC ETC ETC ~~~ Any info would help alot....
    Thanks~~Paul

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I think I have the same problem, but I am using my all aluminum mast, for now. I'll look for this thread to get answered.
  • Check gasket on the bottom of the mast for leaks.The mast rotator is prone to creating a larger hole in the mast due to movement. Also check every pop rivet to see if it is water tight. Use rtv Silicon to repair if necessary.

Baillie
    Hobie 18 Magnum
  • I didn't know Hobie's carried water in their mast. Is it for drinking or to help turn turtle?

edited by: skarr1, Jun 10, 2009 - 09:12 PM
  • I checked all rivets and everything else... I'll make some phone calls today... icon_rolleyes

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • The comp tip slides in approx 18"-24". The comptip should be put in with epoxy (was yours). I have put together quite a few new boats for a local Hobie dealer and they all come with a package of epoxy for this purpose.
  • You also might want to go to the Hobie Cat Forums, as the have a thread on just 18's, lots of good information
  • I bought this a couple of yrs ago, so thats the way it came.
    I would have to say that it is epoxy, but I'am not going to try to take it apart... As far as I know it's only leaking from the one spot~~ right where the comp is in the sail track... Right now I have it tilted to drain the water out, then after it's all out, I'am going to use a straw on the tip of the tube of 5200 and have a go at it... it sure beats trying to rip it apart. Thats the only spot where water shows up..... everything else is good!!!

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.