Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is there a PFD-Trap harness out there?  Bottom

• And why Not? It seems like a great product? If there is, please give me the link.
  • I owned one in the mid 1980's and I bought it from Murrays. I have not seen any in a very long time. They were not very popular.
  • you'd think there would be.. a life jacket and harness, id buy one.

edited by: thtsjon4u, Jun 07, 2009 - 11:55 AM
  • We find that Paddling Vests for WW & Sea Kayakers work really well with Harness. Might want to try those. Other plus is that they have lots of adjustments and pockets. They are however pricey 70-100.
  • Extrasport vests work well with a harness. They used to make a vest similar to the Genoa (but shorter) with an off-center zipper that doesn't interfere with the trap hook at all.

Found one here:
    http://www.rei.com/product/768485?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-768485&mr:trackingCode=F034D5C0-521A-DE11-B4E3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA
  • We have several different Extrasport vests and like them all very much. You might also try the Extrasport Chica for your wife or female crew. It has padding designed to be more comfortable for women then most vests, with voids in the padding for their breasts. My wife is not large chested but still noticed the difference.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I have a Astral Bouyancy Tempo 200 taht I bought to paddle my kayak. The vest is designed to ride high enough to clear a spray skirt on a kayak, but low enough to clear your arms. I feel like the Michelin man when I wear it, but it works well with the 1980's trap seat I have. I thnk the challenge in having an all in one PFD/ trap seat would be the bulk and the location of the bouyancy......The thickness of the vest in the wrong place...like the bottom or where the hook is. IDK maybe it would work...
    Google Astral bouyancy...good copmpany, environmentally conscious, etc.

--
    Birdlaw
    H16
    --
  • the real issue is getting a pdf to be USCG certified (requirement in the USA).

Even companies with some cash behind them (Zhick) don't want to go through the cost and process... so they simply are not legal (for racing or even regular recreational use)...

the cost is unbelievable* to get certification and prohibits many manufacturers from developing new ones. Even if you simply change the color of a PDF it needs a new cert.

i will GUESS that adding non-flotation items to a pdf would/could hold up or stop the certification.

Harness's don't need USCG certification.

*From Layline.com
    My latest quote from USCG is that it would cost between $150,000 and $225,000 to APPLY for the approval process. I would have to sell a ton of PFD's to recoup that cost. On top of that, if we make any changes whatsoever, the process and fees have to be repeated.

The rest of the world is attempting to define an ISO standard that would make the PFD's legal in all countries, meanwhile the USCG is actively resisting this movement.

• Yup! That is what I thought the answer to this conundrum was... We have got to protect the stupid, no matter what the cost.

Thanks Mr. Scott for the truth.

(I went through all of that stuff when I went to market on one of my inventions; It cost me a 1/2 a mill. but, was a good education... I guess?)

It still would be a very handy item though, I'll think about it...
  • 1/2 a mil....I'll give you lots of bad advice for a lot less.
  • You missed your' calling Rich! Sorry?

You should have gone down the soulless path of:

Patent Attorny($50,000 U.S. only), Fire Marshall,(Local and State,God knows how much they charge... it's variable?), Under-Writers Laboratory (Super Rip-Off); Electrical Approval, Fire Test,ergonomics,non-english placarding and assembaly informaton,(for what ever Country that you might want to market this in? Pick your' Planet?)

Mr. Rich,I would have taken your offer; if I'd of known?... Just keep sailin'! it's alot more fun.
  • That sucks Steve.

Damn vultures everywhere.
  • Hey? has anyone tried a rock climbing harness?

What is interesting about them is: They are light, distibute the load between your hips and thighs and seem to be easy to adjust(to layered clothing) and get-on and off, and they are built very well, (for about $60.00 bucks +).

They also have hanger "thing'es" that you could attach stuff to... or cut-off?

I don't know? Just a thought...
  • Trap harness's offer back support.

this is needed. the angle of your body while on the wire is completely different than rock climimg (i have to assume)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.