Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ocracoke Island NC  Bottom

• Has anyone taken their cat to ocracoke Island North Carolina? Me and my girlfriend are planing a trip in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to decide if i should bring the Prindle 16.

I'm kind of nervous about taking my cat on the ferry, but I know that it would be awesome to have it with us at the beach.
  • never had my h16 to ocracoke but ive had it in hatteras and frisco. you shouldnt have any problem taking your boat on the ferry, people take trailers and rvs and all sorts of stuff on them. i dont know about taking your boat on the beach down there. ive tried taking the trailer on the beach on hatteras island and the wheels act more like anchors in the sand then they do wheels. the only way i think you could get your cat to the beach is carry it from the parking lot on the north tip of the island or sail it around the south end from the boat ramp. when are you gonna be down there? ill be in frisco june 12-19.
  • Ocracoke is pretty small, I have been there twice without a boat, but do not recall much access to the beach by vehicles. The ferry is a breeze. I recall on Hatteras that there may be a spot north of the light house where you might be able to get a vehicle on the beach... normally there are dunes blocking the shore from the highway. For the most part, you never see the beach as you drive for miles and miles.

You might want to call someone there before risking a long towing trip.
  • you can drive four wheel drive vehicles along all of ocracoke island there are several ramps to get to the beach. the problem is that your gonna either need to have a powerful 4X4 or some people to help push/lift the trailer to help get it through the soft sand down there.
  • I have a set of wide tires that will fit the trailer that should work in the sand and a very strong 4x4. I will be taking the ferry from swanquarter not the one from hatteras. I just worried about the other drivers on the ferry running into my boat because it is kind of tight on that ferry.

I just heard that they had closed a large section of the beach down there because of some kind of bird laying eggs.

We are looking to go down around the 4th of july.

edited by: kinlawk, Jun 04, 2009 - 02:01 PM
  • yeah the dumb bird has been closing beaches evey where down there. i hadnt heard of them closing the beaches on ocracoke yet but i wouldnt doubt it. there should still be plenty of beach open. as long as you get through that soft sand up higher on the beach you should be good.
  • It's been years since I traveled to Ocracoke (1981) but back then they charged by the foot and dragged a tape measure from the front bumper out back to the rudders. I didn't even get a chance to take them off before they were collecting the fare.

As for other North Carolina coastal options, Beaufort/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach is where I've been sailing since 1981.
    Probably the best place to launch from is 11th Street in MHC.
    Use to be, you could back all the way into the water but they limited that now and you have to utlize beach wheels or just drag it the distance.

At the end of Radio Island -between MHC and Beaufort- down by the aviation tanks there is a spit of sand that you can back into the water at. You could camp there but it's not a "camp ground" by any means.

You could pack up your camping gear and sail out to either Shackleford Banks or to Cape Lookout and spend the night.

Mid-May I spent a week in MHC and will be back for another week over and after Labor Day.

Great place to sail, as if it's too big in the ocean there's plenty of Sound side sailing in protected waters.
  • snowcat58239It's been years since I traveled to Ocracoke (1981) but back then they charged by the foot and dragged a tape measure from the front bumper out back to the rudders. I didn't even get a chance to take them off before they were collecting the fare.

As for other North Carolina coastal options, Beaufort/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach is where I've been sailing since 1981.
    Probably the best place to launch from is 11th Street in MHC.
    Use to be, you could back all the way into the water but they limited that now and you have to utlize beach wheels or just drag it the distance.

At the end of Radio Island -between MHC and Beaufort- down by the aviation tanks there is a spit of sand that you can back into the water at. You could camp there but it's not a "camp ground" by any means.

You could pack up your camping gear and sail out to either Shackleford Banks or to Cape Lookout and spend the night.

Mid-May I spent a week in MHC and will be back for another week over and after Labor Day.

Great place to sail, as if it's too big in the ocean there's plenty of Sound side sailing in protected waters.

Where do or did you launch your boat in atlantic beach?
  • no where!

I've launched at the Anchorage Marina back in 1981 - sound side.
    My Crew's family had property there but it's not exactly Cat friendly.

There is a beach access a couple of blocks west of the circle in Atlantic Beach, but you would have to use Beach Wheels to get to the water.

There isn't anyplace in Atlantic Beach that you could drive onto the beach and launch Ocean side.
    I don't think that there is anywhere on the entire island to launch Ocean side without using beach wheels.

There is a kayak and windsurfing shop down towards Indian Beach on the sound side that they might let you launch, but I'd give them a call before heading down Salter Path.
    I don't recall the name of the business but if you do a search you should be able to find them.

There are three Public options launching on the Crystal Coast.

1- Morehead City Wildlife Ramp next to the Community College.
    Concrete ramp that you launch from then walk/swim your boat over to a sandy beach.
    Lots of powerboats utilize this ramp and parking can be tight on the weekends.

2- 11th Street MHC
    use to be able to back all the way into the water, but this year they've limited you to beach wheels, dragging the boat or pushing your trailer the last 50 yards to the sound.
    a couple of cats are left on the beach with some local weekday racing of V/15, Lasers, 420's and Sunfish from this location.

3- the West end of Radio Island down by the Aviation Tanks
    Radio Island, between Morehead City and Beaufort use to be the location of choice until things got out of control in the 90's. Too many three & four wheelers running all night long, add in some massive 4X4's and the local government put an end to all motorized access. Use to be able to drive on to the beach on the West side of the island, but that access has been closed off.

Coming from MHC headed towards Beaufort, take the first right after coming over the high rise bridge at Radio Island Marina. DO NOT CROSS OVER THE RAILROAD TRACKS, run parallel to the tracks towards the Aviation Tanks. Right before you get to the Tanks turn right and there's a spit of sand you can back down to the water and launch from. You may have to ask some of the locals to move their vehicle while you launch but this is the best access in the area, at least for me as I single hand and tend not to like to use my Beach Wheels or drag the boatvery far.
    Take heed to what the tide is doing, it can be easy to get a 4X4 stuck.

I reside in Naptown these days and get back to the Crystal Coast twice a year.

• Thanks for the information I'm heading down there on july 19.
  • kinlawk

did you make it to the Crystal Coast?

I'll be headed that way from Naptown over Labor Day.
    Arriving September 3rd, departing September 13th

snowcat aka straycat

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.