Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 rudder line replacement.  Bottom

• Hi everyone,
    this is my first post, but I wanted to say this is an amazingly informative site. Thank you so much for posting all of the information on here!

now for my question. I recently got a 1980 prindle 18, and while it is in good condition the lines are not. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what i am going to need to do to run new lines through the rudders. Thanks!
  • I had to replace the rudder lines on my P18 when I got it as well. I just purchased some relatively cheap 3/16 or 1/8 line (don't remember) from my local sail shop, taped it end to end w/ the current line using a little electrical tape, and fed it through the sheaves and rudders by pulling on the original line. Tie it off and done. It just takes a few minutes.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Rudder pull up, pull down lines 4 pcs 1/4" by 4 feet each. I also use a very very small screw driver or something with a sharp point to push the line behind the rollers when needed.
  • You will be much less frustrated with the Prindle rudder system is you use a high quality low stretch line for this and not just any old rope. I think it is 1/4 in as well but maybe 3/16. I would not use 1/8 way to small and will not be fun when trying to lock rudders in the up position. If you have the round pulls on your current setup the rope should be just the right size to barely slip through the hole and tie off. You should have one round pull for the lock down line on each rudder and one Tube or T shaped pull for each for the lock up line.

I tried the taping them to the old rope thing as well but only had limited success. I would study how the old ones are on very carefully just in case. I also color coded my lines makes it easier to tell which is which quickly.

Black line for UP and White line for down but whatever you can find in a high quality line. I would give these lines as much consideration as you would for your main halyard.

edited by: Quarath, May 29, 2009 - 04:20 PM

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I took the size that I posted from the Prindle parts catalouge. I have had success in using whipping line and sewing the old and new line together and pulling them through. I butted the ends together and then sewed, do not overlap. This method works very well when replacing a main halyard as you do not have to lower the mast or tip the boat on its side.
  • HULLFLYERI took the size that I posted from the Prindle parts catalouge. I have had success in using whipping line and sewing the old and new line together and pulling them through. I butted the ends together and then sewed, do not overlap. This method works very well when replacing a main halyard as you do not have to lower the mast or tip the boat on its side.

Pretty sure 1/4 in is what I have as well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thank you so much for all of the informative help! For some reason I never even thought of trying to feed it through the old line, and I think I will attempt the stitching them together idea.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.