Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What should I get?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I love sailing solo, and I've decided that while I CAN do it, sailing my 5.7 solo isn't much FUN. Often times, I feel like I'm just managing the boat, rather than relaxing on the trapeze, and enjoying the wind on my face like I used to do on my H16. As a result, I've decided that I'm going to get a smaller boat.

Here's my list of qualifications, from most important to least important:

- RESISTANT TO PITCHPOLING!

- BOARDLESS

- Good solo boat for someone who weighs ~165, but won't have trouble holding two sometimes.

- Has both main and Jib

- < $2500

The Nacra 5.0 seems like a good choice, but I'm sure there are other good options out there. Many of you are much more experienced sailors than I am, so I would appreciate your suggestions on what I should get!
  • nothing is imune to pitching if you push it hard enough... but cats with lots of volume in the bows are the most resistant.

I would suggest
    MYSTERE 5.0. or 4.3!!!
    or
    Dart 18, nacra 5.0 or 5.5 (skeg version),
    Prindle 16

or

why not go with what you had and liked???? H16? yes they may be a little prone to pitching, but it sounds like you want a relaxing ride... so no need to push it so hard the bows are stuffing (which is what i live for) :)

PS i never pitched on my h16
  • Those are some good ideas. Are the MYSTERE 5.0 and 4.3 boardless? If so, I'll definitely add those to my list. I hadn't thought about the 5.5, but that might be a good option too. If I'm remembering correctly, the mast is set further forward on the 5.5, so it tacks better if you want to go mainsail only, right?

I thought about getting an H16 again, but I've already become accustomed (spoiled) to how forgiving my Nacra is when I'm jibing or running, or even when I'm just on a broad reach. I don't think I could give that luxury up now that I've had it.
  • Keep what you have and get a nacra 5.0 set of sails and use them when it blows hard. I had a P-19 when I lived in Maui and we all know that it really blows hard there in the summer 25+ most afternoons. I bought a set of P-16 sails, yes I said P-16 and had a great time. Some of the H-16 guys took off the jib and reefed the main when it was really blowing. Still, in my opinon the best windsurfing on the planet.
  • That's an interesting idea hullflyer. I really might try that. Do you just use the halyard to hold the sail up at the top?

Andrew, is part of the mystere of a Mystere that you can't find one? haha jk, Seriously though, where do you find a Mystere? I just finished checking all of the normal places I look for boats, and I only found one.
  • The nacra 5.5 is not a skeg boat like the 5.7, 5.0 and the 460, the only difference is it has a 8'-6" beam originally
    made as a uni boat then they added a jib and bridle foil and
    made it a sloop rig. it does have daggerboards.

Best of luck - My opinion keep the 5.7 icon_cool

--
    Gordon
    Nacra 5.5SL
    --
  • rhuntbachThat's an interesting idea hullflyer. I really might try that. Do you just use the halyard to hold the sail up at the top? I made a pigtail, the size is the difference in the luffs of the mainsails. I attached the one end of the pigtail to the mainsail and the other end to the main halyard and pulled it up as normal.

Andrew, is part of the mystere of a Mystere that you can't find one? haha jk, Seriously though, where do you find a Mystere? I just finished checking all of the normal places I look for boats, and I only found one.

• rhuntbachMYSTERE 5.0 and 4.3 boardless?

yes, there also are 3.5's that are boardless... but thats probably only good for munchkins.

THere is also a 5.5 Mystere FUN that was boardless

edited by: andrewscott, May 13, 2009 - 03:34 PM
  • rhuntbach Andrew, is part of the mystere of a Mystere that you can't find one? haha jk, Seriously though, where do you find a Mystere?

Since they went out of production in 2006/2007 they are becoming harder to find.

There is a big 4.3 fleet in Minnesota (i think) We have 6 or so regulars here in Dunedin Florida and several others that are local but in hiding. This is because they were first sold here (first in the US) and there was a sailing school sponsored by mystere (or at least supported by).

There still is limited support from Canada for parts from École de voile Sansoucy (the designers sailing school in Canada) - http://www.ecoledevoilesansoucy.com/

But you just gotta keep an eye out on the boards (ebay / this site / craigslist). Recently there was a 4.3 with 2 mains and a spin for $1200 locally., i almost bought it just to play with it...

edited by: andrewscott, May 13, 2009 - 03:42 PM
  • rhuntbach Do you just use the halyard to hold the sail up at the top?

Depending on the size differences... you may need to make a pig-tail... and you may need to flip the boat over to disconnect it... but maybe not...

many of us have high wind sails. usually we use a pintop (vs our usual square tops) and often they have much less sail area.
  • Wow $1200 sounds like a sweet deal. Driving to Florida or Minnesota from Utah doesn't sound too good though. haha I wonder if I could find one in California maybe. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

Also, I found a nice looking 5.0 on craigslist that's not too far from me. Looks just like my 5.7, only smaller. Same sails and everything. I'm thinking about heading down to check it out this weekend, and maybe I'll pick it up.

edited by: rhuntbach, May 13, 2009 - 04:05 PM
  • does it have boards? (i think they made 5.0's both ways)
  • Nope, it's a boardless model. I wish I could get something with boards that kick up, like the rudders do. Tacking a boardless boat is such a pain. Do you know of anything that has kick up dagger boards, that's old enough to be in my price range?
  • Prindle 19 fits your criteria and has centerboards.

--
    Philip
    --
  • The Tornado is also a centerboard boat that requires very little water for the boards. I wouldn't suggest soloing a Tornado with the jib up and righting it alone would be a problem.
  • Rich, a Tornado would definitely be cool... I don't think I'm that good of a sailor yet though. :)

Andrew, I've been doing some research on the Mystere 4.3, and I'm really starting to think it would be a good fit for me. It seems like it's small enough that I could just relax and sail the daylights out of it, but it's still big enough that I could take a buddy along without feeling like it's going to sink. Does that sound like an accurate assessment to you?

edited by: rhuntbach, May 14, 2009 - 12:41 AM
  • mummpPrindle 19 fits your criteria and has centerboards.

Do the dagger boards kick up on a P19?
  • Ryan,
    The center boards on the P19 pivot up, so yes. Understand that a daggerboard and a centerboard are two different things. Daggerboards pull up/down in their trunks, while centerboards pivot in their trunks.

--
    Philip
    --
  • rhuntbach
    mummpPrindle 19 fits your criteria and has centerboards.

Do the dagger boards kick up on a P19?

one of the main features that convinced me to purchase my Mystere was kick up center boards...

After peter-paining after burying my H18 dagger boards several times... i wanted to get away from dagger boards.

Scrambling to the low side to get my boards up was no fun (especially in heavy air). not to mention they would get "stuck" often and i capsized more than once fighting with them to lift them.

That being said.... on my boat the center board wells are paper thin and super delicate. i have ruptured them 2 times now. the last time was due to a shackle falling in there and i didn't know it... when i set the boards it broke the well wall... luckily it was in a place i could reach.... if not... you need to CUT OPEN THE HULL to access it....
  • Ryan,

It is good that you know your limitations. The Tornado is a big boat to handle.

The P19 is also pretty fast and will be a significant performance upgrade over your Nacra 5.7. The P18-2 may also be a centerboard boat.

Portsmouth Ratings:
    Nacra 5.7 2-up N5.7 72.6 75.5 74.8 72.2 68.6
    Prindle 19 P19 66.4 71.7 68.9 64.5 62.3

You would also be adding 17 ft2 of sail, 25 lbs of displacement, 6 inches of beam and 8.25 inches of length.

This kind of goes against the smaller, more relaxing boat idea (so does the Tornado).

The Nacra 5.0 is a nice boat, but I don't know that you are gaining much by dropping from the 5.7.

Have you tried sailing the 5.7 without the jib when you are alone? I realize that this will make tacking more difficult, but it removes a few controls as well. The 5.0 is going to have a similar number of lines to the 5.7 and does not have the performance potential.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.