Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Whats the difference between a P18 and a P18-2  Bottom

• Curious as to what the difference is between the Prindle P18 and The P18-2.
  • Completely different boats. The 18 is a boardless asymetrical bannana hulled all around boat, the 18-2 is a higher performance boat that some fans call a mini-Tornado since it has similar lines and centerboards.

Prindle 18

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=30162&g2_serialNumber=3

Shows Prindle 18 flat sided asymetrical hulls.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20226&g2_serialNumber=6

The Prindle 18-2 and 19 are so much alike they use the same assembly manual.

Need some good pictures of the 18-2, couldn't find any in the albums that show the hull shape and centerboards.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=35455&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Did they both have or come with multi-colored sails.And what does the 2 stand for,Thanks for the info it's nice when i can learn something new daily.
  • All the 2 means is that it is not the same as the P-18. Since they are both 18ft Prindles but are completely different boats like said above.

I have no idea what sails they both came with but mine has Tequila Sunrise and is a P-18

edited by: Quarath, Apr 29, 2009 - 11:08 PM

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • brjonairCurious as to what the difference is between the Prindle P18 and The P18-2.

The two are like night and day! I sail an 18-2. It's a Prindle 19 that's 1 foot shorter in length. Rotating centerboards, symetrical hulls, no deck lip, not prone to pitch-poling, lots... make that LOTS of floatation up front in the hulls! I've plowed head-on into 8-foot waves and the bows just pierce through. But it also means that your crew will be sitting literally on the front crossbar. Crew weight must be forward on the 18-2.

It's a fairly fast boat, but a little heavy at 375lbs. Certainly no F-18 or Inter or Tiger, etc. I bought it because it's very forgiving and easy to sail. I often solo sail mine. Lots of sail control lines. For what it is - it's a fast boat. No "serious" racer, but one of the fastest of "family cats". It'll do circles around Hobie 18's and 18 magnums.

Downsides with the 18-2: The stock downhaul sucks. Set it and forget it. That's the first thing to be upgraded. No stock roller-furling jib and factory sails have no windows in them. Stock mainsail isn't square-topped like the 19MX. The biggest downside to the 18-2... If you want to race, you'll probably always be open-class. There aren't a lot of them and certainly no one-design fleets like a Hobie 16 or Wave.

http://www.trinewbies.com/phorum2/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=4493

• Thanks for checking in, good to hear from an owner.

Great info... except the part about sailing "circles" around Hobie 18's! icon_eek Must be some slow H18 skippers in your neck of the water! icon_lol

Just kidding, sort of, the 18-2 is slightly faster than the H18

<code class="prettyprint">Portsmouth ratings
    P18-2
    69.1 72.6 71.7 68.7 65.1

H18 and H18 Magnum
    71.4 76.8 73.5 69.5 66.8</code>

You have a substantial advantage in extremely light air. (less than 3 mph) but after that it's pretty close.

<code class="prettyprint">F18 numbers for comparison
    62.4 65.4 63.9 61.3 59.5</code>

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Actually 'damonAdmin', you are RIGHT! It IS all about the sailor! Maybe that is the reason why I'm always sailing circles around other cats with ratings so close, if not better, than that of my boat. And all this time I thought it was in the boat. Silly me!
  • Doug-p182-590It IS all about the sailor! Maybe that is the reason why I'm always sailing circles around other cats with ratings so close, if not better, than that of my boat. And all this time I thought it was in the boat. Silly me!

Absolutely! I sail a lot of Portsmouth regattas with a mixture of boats, once you seperate out the spin boats it's anyones ballgame.

Maybe you are just good? icon_wink

I've been beat boat-for-boat by excellent Hobie 16's and I've beat faster rated boats. Who gets around first on triagles has a lot more to do with not making mistakes and sailing the correct course (finding the wind and keeping the boat moving).

On long distance races the faster bigger boat will usually prevail if it's not carrying too much weight. (which is usually my problem)

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.