Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Supercat 19 questions  Bottom

• Hello everyone I just started sailing last year on a sunfish then I tried the windrider 17 tri-hull and although these have been fun the catamaran has caught my eye! I live about an hour away from the beach Freeport, TX and have been really considering buying a cat to take my friends sailing in the gulf. I found a Supercat 19 for $1200 thats looks taken care of, my problem is there is very limited info on this cat online. I would like to add that some of my buddys are on the heavy side and this boat looks like it would float a small army.
    Any opinions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Try www.aquarius-sail.com
  • HULLFLYERTry www.aquarius-sail.com
    I did google it and found info as to who built it but no reviews from owners or useful info like rigging guide etc...
  • Opinion: That is a lot of boat. the mast is enormous and very heavy. the sail is huge. that boat gets very wet and overpowered. if you are not a seasoned sailor,... i would consider a smaller cat.

PS - Thats the manufacturer. if you need info, they have the info. you may need to call them
  • Thanks Andrew. It does seem like a big boat with lots of power
    and I admit that make me think it would be a blast under the
    right conditions. Someone also has a Nacra 5.2 for $2500 is
    that a better size? I just think I will outgrow a Hobie 16 quickly
    and it will be to small as I weight 230 and my friends are the
    same or more.
  • I think that 2 people 230# each or more is too much weight for a nacra 5.2 and if you guys are that size you can certainly raise and lower the mast easily and right the boat with no problem if you flip. With that much weight 460-500 pounds on board you should be able to handle the boat. Most Super Cats have a roller furling jib if you really need to depower the boat, and the boat is a boomless rig.
    There were 2 Super cat 19's the original one had the same mast as the 17' which was 28' 9" the later version the Super Cat 19XL had a huge mast 33' and the boat was widened to 8'6". Do you know which one the person is selling?
  • I pretty sure it's not the XL. I can call today and find out.
  • There isn't a lot of info on line about SC19s--they are a pretty rare boat and there are a few people sailing them. I would join the forum on Aquarius' site to hit the largest focused audience.

With that said, I have owned a SC20, 19, a few 17s and a 15. I think they are great boats, but some aren't for beginners. The 19 is a beast and is very overpowered. You are right that you can get a bunch of people on it, but you will find is sails better with only 2. The drawbacks are that it has daggerboards and it is heavy. Daggers are one more thing to have to worry about when launching and landing , but the boat can be sailed without them--you just have to sit forward and dig the bows in like you would on a 17 or 15. One big drawback is availability of used parts. If you break a mast--forgetabout it. You'll be buying a new one. Rudders and steering are expensive and hard to find used. If you get the boat, buy the first set of steering you find used. You can get rigging aftermarket for a fair price, but the trampolines are very expensive from Aquarius. I have never seen a used set of 19 sails for sale.

Now for the good stuff. The 19 is a sick crazy fast boat that points REALLY well--like it is sailing in it's own wind. The hulls are MASSIVE, so it tends not to pitchpole. OK, it is resistant to it, but anything pitchpoles with the right nut on the tiller. The mast is huge, but buoyant, so it doesn't turtle. It also has a custom righting system that makes it 'easy' to right. When the thing gets going, it is like a freight train and the spray coming off the leeward hull is like a firehose. They are very sturdy boats and very comfortable. The hulls are rounded, so trapezing is really comfy on the feet.

$1500 for the boat is a great price if you don't have to replace the trampoline and the sails are OK. I got a great custom tramp for my 15 from slosails. Check with Aquarius to see if they have anything used. They have an inventory reduction section that used to have 19 stuff. I got a great main from them for my 19 a few years ago. They are only listing used 15 parts, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Now, those are some of the pros and cons. I would not recommend a boat like this to a beginner because it is a lot to handle. Perhaps a smaller boat like the Hobie 16, Nacra 5.0 or something similar might be a better launching pad solely for the reason that they are more manageable. They are still a handfull and are not easy boats to sail for the novice, but you aren't wrestling a monster.

• Don't get me wrong... I love supercats. I have sailed several. I have capsized the 19' (XL).

BUT

"a big boat with lots of power and I admit that make me think it would be a blast under the right conditions."

OR A NIGHTMARE UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS (PLUS 4 MORE MPH)

i would also consider a h18, p18 and or a nacra 5.5 or similar. these are still big powerful boats but should be able to handle that weight.
  • MAN UP buy the Super Cat
  • Dan thanks for all the great info on the SC 19 it's sound like a beast!
    I am not sure if hullflyers comment is coming from the soft or cold shoulder it's cool either way. I am going to look at it and will post my decision.

take a look at the beast so thanks for the info I will post back if I decide to try and take on the beast.
  • I thought it was a funny response. Looking back at your weight requirements, it may be the boat for you. 5-600lbs of crew is a lot to keep it down. You might be looking at something over 18 feet, anyway. The only other
  • I was just joking, but there is another cat sailor forum that you can check out. www.catsailor.com These guys can give some of the best information available. They are from all over, USA Europe Australia South Africa and beyond. They can get as specific or scientific as you want or they will answer any or all questions by new sailors. A great source, many thanks to Rick and Mary for keeping up the site.
  • Hullflyer I thought your comment was on point.
  • I talked to the guy today and he said with the trailer
    the boat is 25' and the trailer is aluminium so no
    affordable way to put a swing tongue on it so
    it won't fit in my garage.
  • Hello Lubber!
    Did you end up getting the Supercat 19? I have one that I restored two years ago. A wonderful boat. LOTS of tramp space for riders and a very very smooth boat. I hope you purchased her!
    The best!

PS: That's my first cat on the pic...a Nacra 5.2. I also sailed/raced a Nacra 6.0 for years. Been boatless for some time with family and all. Finally saw the SC19 (87)...GREAT boat!!

edited by: Blowboater, Jul 26, 2009 - 08:29 PM
  • If the boat has the same mast size as the 17, is it still as overpowered at times as the 33 ft mast?
  • no... your talking almost 4 extra feet of mast and only 6" extra width... even more overpowered with the 33' versus the standard rig

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.