Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 6.0NA mast rake  Bottom

• I am fairly new to the 6.0 and I am looking for a good starting point for mast rake from those who have experience with one.

Also in the process of installing a Harken furler and was wondering if anyone has a good way to mount a telocat on the bow foil?

Thanks,
    Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Nacra+6.0+mast+rake

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thank you. That is what I needed and tons more.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Tuning the Nacra 6.0NA

By JAMIE DIAMOND
    Where to start? We set up the boat according to Mark Biggers in the spring of
    1994 when we bought the thing and essentially haven't changed any of the rigging
    since then. We had a successful Nacra Mid-Winters this year, so Mary Wells asked
    me to write an article on tuning the 6.0. Well, I'm way late, but here it is.

Setting up the boat
    The platform: The hulls, the boards, the rudders are all perfectly parallel with
    the mast down (no rig tension). The forward beam has about 1/2 inch of pre-bend.
    The bridle foil has more.
    We used self-stick Velcro to pad the daggerboard trunks so that the daggerboard
    don't slop around in the trunks.

The mast
    About 2 inches of pre-bend, with about 2 inches of spreader rake (distance
    between a ruler placed across both spreaders and the luff track on the mast).
    My outer diamonds on the mast are under about 700 lbs. tension. The inner
    diamonds are just snugged up but not adding any more mast bend.
    I copied my mast rake from Andy Zitkus at Bay Week a couple of years ago. I
    don't know what it is; I only know I use the 2nd hole from the top of the
    chainplate for the forestay and the 4th hole from the top of the chainplates on
    the sides for the shrouds.

I believe having all your wet stuff lined up straight is important. I'm not so
    sure about the pre-bend in the mast, tautness of the rig, and mast rake.
    However, I do believe that to be successful, you must set this stuff, and then
    leave it alone. Sailing a boat fast requires a lot of helm "feel." Unless you
    are Randy Smyth, Kirk Newkirk, or Carlton Tucker, you won't get there very fast
    if you keep changing the boat around. Set the boat up the same way each time and
    start practicing, developing that helm-feel you need to be fast.

Sailing the boat
    Mainsail
    You've got more controls on the mainsail than I know what to do with --
    downhaul, mainsheet, clew traveler, and main traveler.

The downhaul
    Before you go out on the water, you need to find the "power-position." This is
    the amount of downhaul where you have maximum pocket in your mainsail. Many
    people think they get maximum pocket with the downhaul completely eased. Not
    true!
    Get the boat rigged up. Lie on your back on the center of the tramp with your
    head near the base of the mast. Sheet the main until the boat is trimmed for
    going to weather. Now start applying downhaul. As you tighten the downhaul, you
    will see the pocket first increase, then decrease again as you pass the
    "power-position." Go back and forth a few times past the point until you are
    sure where it is. Then mark your mast where the pulley plate of your mainsail is
    at the power-position. This is where you will downhaul for upwind until you are
    overpowered. Once you are overpowered you will downhaul beyond this point. This
    is also where you will set the downhaul for downwind. You will never want to
    sail the boat with the downhaul looser than the power-position.

The clew traveler
    Upwind I set my clew traveler with its center 1 to 2 inches behind the bolt in
    the center of the clew traveler track. Downwind, if it's a long leg or light
    air, I'll blow off the clew traveler letting it go all the way to the back. If
    it's cranked up, or the legs of the course are short, I'll ignore this control
    -- just set it for upwind and forget it.

The main traveler
    Upwind I almost always center it. I deal with the big wind with the downhaul.
    Off the wind I usually ease the main traveler to somewhere near the hiking
    straps. This one is tough to call and varies a lot with wind conditions. Finding
    the sweet spot where the main traveler and mainsheet are both set right for
    wild-thinging downwind is tough. And it varies with the wind, the waves, and the
    crew weight.

The mainsheet
    I usually get to sail in flat water. So going to weather we sheet the main hard,
    really hard. I want almost zero twist. If it's double-trapped or more, the main
    is usually sheeted as hard as I physically can, both hands. If we're in waves, I
    back off some. When the boat is pitching, you want some twist in the main. It
    helps keep the top half of the main from stalling on the backward swing of the
    pitch.
    On the downwind leg, travel out, but probably sheet harder than you are. You
    need some firmness in the leech to do the wild thing. Play with different sheet
    and traveler combinations until the boat jumps. Then look around at the waves
    and wind speed. Remember it for the next time.

Jib
    Sheet it harder than you think. If there's any sizable breeze, I put the jib
    cars all the way back, and fairly far out. The stronger my foredeck crew is, the
    farther out they go. At MidWinters, with Mike Teets up front, we ran the jib
    cars all the way back, and the jib block was about one hand width from the hull.
    This lets the crew sheet really, really hard without closing up the slot. Give
    it a fair bit of luff tension, too. The flatter the luff, the higher you can
    point, but the less power you have, and the harder it is to keep the boat in the
    groove. Find a happy medium.
    On the downwind I set the barber haulers all the way out and sheet the jib
    fairly firm but not hard, maybe a foot to foot and a half between the barber
    hauler and the jib clew plate. If you've got the luff tension cranked up,
    consider backing it off. Ignore the luff tension on the downwind if it's a short
    course and things are busy.

Mast rotator
    Sometimes I use it upwind, sometimes I don't. No real method to the madness.
    Downwind, use it. Rotate the mast 90 degrees. If it's really windy, or you're on
    a short course, this is another control to ignore. You'll gain more distance in
    the time you're sailing the boat instead of pulling the strings than you will
    lose in boat speed.

Daggerboards
    All the way down upwind, halfway up downwind. If you're on a short course, put
    them down and ignore them. Never sail the boat with them all the way up. And the
    ligher the wind, the more daggerboard you need. Just the reverse of what a lot
    of folks think.

Crew is key
    The most overlooked key to winning is the crew. I believe this is true on any
    boat. My key to speed at Mid-Winters was Mike Teets. He ran everything on the
    boat from the daggerboards forward. And he called all the marks, laylines,
    crosses, and ducks. My sole job on the back of the boat was to make it go fast.
    I played the main, steered the boat, and got my head out of the boat, looking at
    the wind and waves out in front. I never had to look over my shoulder for a
    mark, or behind to see what the competition was doing. That was Mike's job. By
    concentrating solely on boat speed, I had a boat-speed advantage. And a
    boat-speed advantage made Mike's job of calling the tactics easier.
    Try it next regatta -- when your crew says to tack, don't check their work, just
    do it. When they realize that it's all up to them, they will quickly grow into
    the task.
    Good luck, and sail fast.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • pknapp66Thank you. That is what I needed and tons more.

Glad to help....

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.