Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Spinnaker Group Buy Feeler, Any Interest?  Bottom

• If you have a standard H18 and have thought about going with a spin, post up. If we could get 5-10 people I think we could get a discount from a loft. We would just all need to agree on who has the best design, fabric, etc and go from there.

I've already emailed Glaser and Whirlwind to see what they say about a standard H18 spin design. Jeremy is no longer with surf city so I don't even know if that design is still around. Post any other lofts we should contact, I don't know of many personally.

Really, it's possible that since all the sails are individually made that they wouldn't all need to be for a Hobie 18 and there could be multiple designs in the order and still get a discount... It's more about the group business in this case

Just from looking around I'm seeing spins for other boats like H17, H20 from anywhere from 800-1200ish so that's probably the range before a little extra discount hopefully.

Between me and a friend there is already interest for 3 so we really only need a few more before it's a decent number to take to a loft.

Edited by tamumpower1 on Apr 19, 2016 - 06:05 PM.
  • I'd be in if you choose to go with Glaser, the F16 needs a new chute. I've been very pleased with the quality and price on all the sails I've had them build.

Dave
  • I'd be in if you choose to go with Glaser, the F16 needs a new chute. I've been very pleased with the quality and price on all the sails I've had them build.

Dave

Stupid buttons!

Edited by davefarmer on Apr 19, 2016 - 10:53 PM.
  • I'm in for Hobie 18 spin. I wonder if SNU would be interested as well, could probably get 10 guys in on that alone.

Surf city quoted me $2300 for the complete spin setup. Fair price just hard to justify for an 84' Hobie...
  • car_guyI'm in for Hobie 18 spin. I wonder if SNU would be interested as well, could probably get 10 guys in on that alone.

Surf city quoted me $2300 for the complete spin setup. Fair price just hard to justify for an 84' Hobie...

Nah, it's hard to add more swag to your life for less money...
    I may contact them for a group rate thing for people that want a more turn key option. Would probably make a separate thread if we do that since it's not specific to a H18.

We are going with an F18 inspired spin designed by Chip Buck, a former Hobie sail designer, from Whirlwind Sails http://www.whirlwindsails.com
    The spin is made from Challenge Fibermax 44 .75oz fabric, http://www.challengesailcloth.com/fibermax/
    You can choose any color you want. FL stands for fluorescent
    https://i.imgsafe.org/20075d2.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/9fd6b20.jpg

Discount will be 15% if we get 5 or more orders.
    Standard H18 - $850-15%= $722.50
    SX H18 - $900-15%= $765

Lead time is 4-6 weeks

I believe we already have 5, after that he said we can place orders individually. I don't know how long that deal extends for currently but that can be handled later.

So for now if you are interested and want to be in on the first order, go ahead and start figuring out your color so we can get a list going. I figure we will probably be ready to go in about a week or so give or take.

Over on the Hobie forum theres been a little more interest if you want to follow there as well
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57416&p=272604#p272604

Edited by tamumpower1 on Apr 22, 2016 - 03:44 AM.
  • Great job on putting this together for us. I am getting excited just thinking about the possibilities. Just as a suggestion for those who may be considering this added feature to your boat, I plan to bag launch from the tramp initially. I have been sailing cats with spinnakers since the mid 90's. What I can tell you is that this will be easy fun on the Hobie 18. The Hobie 18 is a very stable platform and very forgiving. The reason I am mentioning launching from the tramp is so folks do not get too bogged down spending money on F18 rigs and pole snuffers etc. That stuff can come later. First start of simple and easy. Halyard, old windsurfer mast for a pole, a few turning blocks and you are on your way. If you get to the point that you are losing races because your spinnaker douses are not fast enough, then you might consider the snuffers and such. Cheers and I can't wait to get going.
  • bruiserGreat job on putting this together for us. I am getting excited just thinking about the possibilities. Just as a suggestion for those who may be considering this added feature to your boat, I plan to bag launch from the tramp initially. I have been sailing cats with spinnakers since the mid 90's. What I can tell you is that this will be easy fun on the Hobie 18. The Hobie 18 is a very stable platform and very forgiving. The reason I am mentioning launching from the tramp is so folks do not get too bogged down spending money on F18 rigs and pole snuffers etc. That stuff can come later. First start of simple and easy. Halyard, old windsurfer mast for a pole, a few turning blocks and you are on your way. If you get to the point that you are losing races because your spinnaker douses are not fast enough, then you might consider the snuffers and such. Cheers and I can't wait to get going.

Thanks, I'm just as excited knowing I get to come home to new parts at the door...

I have started an equipment/rigging suggestions list over on the hobie fourm since this forum doesn't allow me to edit my posts after a time it would make it hard to keep an updated list here. Once we have something more finalized I can post it over just for the record.
  • Well I just ordered my black sail... waiting to see if someone goes for that crazy raspberry color

So we don't have to make a list before placing an order. Chip is just doing a 50% deposit on your initial order and then the discount will be applied when you pay in full before shipping so you can order individually. No need to wait for us to get a list together.
  • car_guyI'm in for Hobie 18 spin.

Did you order yours yet? What color are you going with?
  • Another reason to run a spin is it gives you a new place to mount your Go Pro.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/Corkguy1390/Hobie/Spinphotofrombelow_zps5c5cea35.jpg

Yes its not an H18 but you get the idea.

Photo from Hobie France
  • There are two F18 spins one for heavy teams and one for light.

G.5.3 DIMENSIONS Minimum Maximum
    Sail area (Small Spinnaker) - 19 m2
    Sail area (Large Spinnaker) - 21 m2

My spin setup was done by Jeremy. Mikey the current owner of Surf City can set you up also. 1991 Hobie 18 SX, Tiger Main, SLO Sail laminate Jib, F18 21 spin.
    http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/Corkguy1390/Hobie/H18SX/IMAG0220_zps37sunnji.jpg

Edited by Corkmaster_1 on May 01, 2016 - 10:03 PM.
  • If someone is putting together their own H18 homemade spinnaker kit and need a H18 gooseneck for mounting the pole to the front crossbeam I have an extra new H18 gooseneck from when I mounted my pole last year. If interested it is posted over on the Hobie forum sailboat classifieds.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • Corkmaster_1There are two F18 spins one for heavy teams and one for light.

G.5.3 DIMENSIONS Minimum Maximum
    Sail area (Small Spinnaker) - 19 m2
    Sail area (Large Spinnaker) - 21 m2

My spin setup was done by Jeremy. Mikey the current owner of Surf City can set you up also. 1991 Hobie 18 SX, Tiger Main, SLO Sail laminate Jib, F18 21 spin.
    http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/Corkguy1390/Hobie/H18SX/IMAG0220_zps37sunnji.jpgEdited by Corkmaster_1 on May 01, 2016 - 10:03 PM.

I actually emailed them when I was looking around before I started this thread and they had no idea what I was talking about and said Jeremy hadnt been with them for a few years. I do believe I read somewhere that that Chip made the spins for Jeremy though.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.