Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

I cannot Lock Sail to Top of Mast ??  Bottom

• Well i picked up a used Supercat 17. Great price.

Took it for maiden voyage yesterday.
    Turned boat directly into wind.

Once I got the sail raised I thought the ring just sort of dropped onto the hook at the top of the mast. it would not lock !!

I tried to lower slightly and raise several times but no success. In the end we wound up just tying off the haylard because my hands were rubbed raw from trying to hold the sail up.

I have a ring that looks similar to a Murrays ring as pictured here

http://www.murrays.com/07-3064.html

Some people have told me the knot has to face to the right. What does this mean?

I am lost on this and quite frustrated.

Anybody know what I am doing wrong and once I get sail locked will I be able to lower it.

I am so tempted to just mount a cleat to the mast to tie off halyard but I should not have to do this.

I need help.

Thanks
  • I always twist my halyard line at the ring several times so that as the ring reaches the hook, it "rolls" onto the hook. My halyard ring is the Murrays style on my Hobie 21SE. I hope that helps. icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • QuoteI am so tempted to just mount a cleat to the mast to tie off halyard but I should not have to do this.

when the head ring is "locked" on the ring (removing all the stress off the block at the head of your mast) and you use your downhaul you have a 1-1 compression

running the halyard up and back down and adding a cleat at the bottom turns your mast halyard into a 2-1 that will add un-intended compression to your mast. This could damage ( or destroy) the block at the top of your mast, or could cause catastrophic failure to your mast as well

i would avoid adding that type of compression to your mast if possible

the ring issue is usually a matter of technique and practice - i would consult with other sc17 owners or manufacturor and make sure you are using the recommended hardware

I use that exact murry's ring and on my boat the knot on the ring must face aft

Edited by MN3 on Mar 02, 2015 - 06:29 AM.
  • I don't have a SC17 but I have a mast top hook on mine. A couple suggestions:

1. I play with the mast rotation a lot to help lock it in. My hook approaches from the port side so when I raise the sail I rotate the mast to starboard to create more of a overlap then lower the sail onto the hook. I do the opposite (rotate to port) when I want to unhook the sail. I've never seen the setup on the SC 17 so I don't know if that works for you or not. I'm using the Hobie 17 type hook on my 5.2 and the same ring that you have shown.

2. The knot location is important. You want for the ring to ride as close to the mast (and the hook) as possible. What that means is that when you secure the hook to the head of your sail that you want the knot facing away from the mast (aft as MN3 stated above). Then as you pull the halyard you are keeping the ring close to the mast. If there is too much room between the ring and the hook then they'll never engage each other.
    Long story short, keep the ring as close to the mast and hook as possible.

It's hard to see what is going on up there so if you are still at a loss flip the boat on its side and see what is going on up close.

Good luck. Even though you are frustrated just remember, at least you get to sail at this time of year. All of the water were is frozen. :(

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I've been out 3 times this month (Feb)

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • http://owners.aquarius-sa…t=masthead+hook&start=15

https://www.strictlysaili…rig-tug-cleat-part-2070/

Look here. I hoist all the way up and rotate the mast to port and let off a little I've gotten it to work. I like a Sea Dog
    hand cleat and gloves to hoist.

Edited by gahamby on Mar 03, 2015 - 04:50 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Don't cleat off the halyard at the bottom of the mast. You will never be able to get proper downhaul or mainsheet tension as the sail will always be slipping down the mast.

On the Hobies, the knot on the halyard ring has to face the mast. If the boat is pointed directly into the wind, usually the ring will just drop onto the hook. If the wind is coming even slightly from the side, often you will have to rotate the hook into the ring. With the mast rotated, release the halyard and pull down on the foot of the sail. Once you feel that the sail is hooked, release the rotator. After the sail is hoisted and hooked, be sure to pull on a little downhaul so it doesn't pop off.

If you continue to have issues, I recommend hoisting the sail and then flipping the boat on its side and working the halyard/hook that way until you figure out what the problem is. The other option would be to bring a pair of binoculars with you so you can look at the mast head from a distance.

sm
  • http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/07-3064-2011.jpgHere is a picture of the "Aussie" ring most commonly used for the mast hookup you describe. Here is a picture of a hook I welded up to solve the same problem I had with the knot interfering with the hookup.http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109267&g2_serialNumber=3 With the knot offset, and the halyard to the right of the hook, the ring and hook engage easily. To lower the sail, pull the halyard....rotate the mast to the left and release. On a new set of sails, I had to move the mounting hole on the headboard forward an inch to make it work properly. Laying the boat on it's side and watching will tell you a lot about what's needed.
  • Did you get it worked out?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • In the latest issue of Sail magazine, there was an article on the new C&C 30 sports boat. It uses a Ronstan constrictor clutch in the mast as a halyard lock. Looks like a good idea. I wonder if it would work on a beach cat?

Attached is a link to the article
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn…1fa2c92752f9&oe=557365E9

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.