Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Old School EPO Rudders--self repair or ship to professional?  Bottom

• OK

Need some advice before I make a major mess of my EPO rudders...

I have old EPO rudders that have fiberglass showing through black covering.

I know that the right thing to do is to get epoxy, graphite powered, etc, and fill in the cracks and then repeatedly sands and then paint. I just do not have the tech skills and/or time and/or work place to make this approach happen. I am considering two options:

1) sanding them with 200 or 400 wet sandpaper and then painting them with polyurethane marine paint and sanding them with 800 to 1000 and then repainting and repeating until they are smooth. only have a paint brush which has me a bit concerned about the final finish but this seems doable.

2) ship them to someone in the United States who has more experience and who can re-finish them for me.

Ideas regarding the above options or better ideas would be welcome. Prefer to do it myself but was wondering if you all know anyone who does this sort of work Stateside?

If option one then advice on how to exactly proceed would be most welcome (e.g., do I have the right paint--will polyurethane paint work?).

Cheers,
    Reuben
    1981 Hobie 16 (Lac Leman, Switzerland)
  • I took the easy way out and simply spray painted mine with black epoxy enamel from a rattle can. They've held up fine for the past three seasons. Two coats does the trick.
  • If you have the skills and work space to paint and sand them then you have what you need to epoxy them. Just mix up the epoxy and graphite and roll it on with a home depot foam roller. Hang them to dry. Really easy. Here is my thread on the repair.

http://thebeachcats.com/f…ms/viewtopic/topic/13263

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Hey thanks--I like the idea of working on them over the winter and your string helps. May do it--if I do I will post results for sure--even if I screw it up--promise.

Alternatively, I have sandpaper, poly urethane paint and a brush in hand--sounds like I need to get some epoxy appliance paint in a spay can. Just curious-does anyone out there know if polyurethane would work? If it does then all I have to do is organize a sprayer..

Thanks for your help--realize that it is a tired topic--would be great to see an actual video of applying the epoxy and/or spray paint. Sounds silly but pictures are not as good as the actual application.

Cheers,
    Reuben
  • For the spray paint option, I used Rust-Oleum brand High Gloss Black Appliance Epoxy that I purchased from The Home Depot for about $5. Sand the boards first and then thoroughly clean them with mineral spirits to remove dust, oils and residues from the surface. Don't handle the boards with your bare hands during or after cleaning (use latex painter's gloves). Depending on your boards/boat, you want to avoid excess paint build-up near the through-holes as this can make it difficult to fit your boards back into the rudder castings when finished. For my Hobie 18, I simply taped off the top 2 or 3 inches and left that area unfinished. Allow the epoxy at least a week to fully cure.
  • super helpful step by step. may take this route. at least I can now make a more informed decision. appreciate your time and interest. cheers reuben

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.