Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Brush or Spray?  Bottom

• I have been prepping my P16 for paint, and am close to being able to paint. Was planning on just brushing it on, but after spending a lot of time prepping the hulls I don't want to have brush streaks all over the boat.
    I can pick up a cheap spray gun from harbor freight, not to sure how well they work but I think It may be the way to go...
    If I do spray it, what do I use to thin the paint? I am using Interlux Brightside.
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…74707b62ac73d915e588b50c

here is my album when i painted my p16. spray will give you the beast looking finish IF and that's a big IF, you know how to spray. if not then you can run/sag it up big time. use the recommended reducer for thinning and follow the instructions. practice on something first like lawn furniture/garbage can/etc. with some regular enamel paint...a new gun can spit grease out on the first use(don't ask how i know). also as a part of your prep, wash the boat with a 50/50 bleach/water mix to kill living mildew, especially the top decks nonskid, if you don't, the mildew can live and grow under the paint and cause failure. do this first then wash and scrub with a degreaseing/dewaxing product to get off oils and waxes. it's a big job but the boat will look brand new! good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I used the "Roll and Tip" method for applying Brightside onto my H-16. Make sure you have a good quality brush and roller. Roll on about 1 foot at a time and brush it smooth in an up-down pattern. It turned out perfectly with no roller or brush marks.
    Spraying required too much taping and masking for such a small area.
  • I used "roll and tip" as well. Just finished bottoms.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87059&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.