Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

thinking about getting a cat  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I have never sailed but I like fishing, camping and summer recreational activities. I have 3 kids and I'm thinking of getting into cat sailing. How do I test the waters to see if I like the sport? How do I get started? I've seen vids where people take their family on a cat ride and it looks like a blast. The boats seem to be very versatile and they could be used for various purposes. What kind of cat would you recommend for a beginner?
  • With 3 kids, I would go with Hobie Getaway.

Checkout
    http://www.hobiecat.com/f…c237cc3e08bb7ae0f8844df2

for more info on Hobies.

Edited by jackb on May 12, 2012 - 07:40 AM.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • i have a 4 kids and a hobie 16, i often take three at a time but usually two, trampoline gets a little busy with that.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • First off post where you are located and maybe you can hook up with one of us and get a ride and
    that way you can see if cat sailing is for you. Prindles sail well with extra weight. The 18 might be better
    with a bunch of kids but more boat to handle. They can be had cheap. The getaway will cost more but
    is great for family outings. The Hobie 18 with wings gives lots of extra room but is a heavy boat to haul
    around on the beach.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • For a beginner carrying children I have to agree with JackB the Getaway is a great option!! Simple, stable, no daggerboards, no boom to crack your head, you won't capsize if the kids jump around and its very versatile. More so than many of the other beachcats. But it isn't as fast as most others. That isn't necessarily a bad thing while you are learning. Once you get everything mastered and the kids grow up a bit, you can sell the getaways and get a rocketship! :)

Dave.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I'm still trying to figure out the forum functions...

I added my location. What do you know, Wolfman is also from Winnipeg :)

I'd like to start with a used cat. I notice that the Prindles prices are lower than others. Why is Prindles less $ ? I saw great Youtube vids of Narca... Time to go look at some YT vids on the Hobie Getaway.
  • snosheriffI'm still trying to figure out the forum functions...

I added my location. What do you know, Wolfman is also from Winnipeg :)

I think you must have added the location to your personal info. The links in my signature have instructions for creating your forum signature and avatar like all the cool kids have.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Are you kidding me!! I was the only Winnipegger on this forum (Manitoban for that matter). Welcome aboard!

Finding a Prindle locally is really really tough. They never sold them on on the prairies (except maybe alberta). Locally we have always had a very low volume hobie dealer and very briefly a solcat dealer. There are a few Nacras that made it up here, I probably have the only Nacra 5.2, there is a 5.5 SL on Lake Winnipeg that was for sale a few years ago. The Victoria Beach Yacht club is the only club with a significant cat population. Paul Grey at Northern Sail Works is the local Hobie Dealer, he only sells new cats most of the time. Great guy and an excellent sailmaker. He has Wave's and Getaways in stock, anything else is a special order.

There is another cat 'seller' that you should probably be aware of. PM me and we can discuss further. He means well but is not overly knowledgable. How far afield are you willing to go? There are currently a few boats available in North Dakota, but they are mostly freestyle 474s. A good boat but probably not ideal for you. If you check out Craigslist there are a number of Prindles and a Nacra 5.0 available in Minneapolis. That is the best way to get a boat within a reasonable distance for a reasonable price.

Use search tempest http://www.searchtempest.com/ to find all the available boats in ND and MN quickly. Kijiji is good for MB, ONT and SK, but very few boats other than hobie 14s (too small for you) and Hobie 16s (probably OK but can be scary at times).

I'm located on Jessica Lake in the Whiteshell, so if you are located close or are willing to come out for a day I would be happy to take you sailing, teach you the basics of rigging and sailing and basically talk your ear off for many hours.

Oh, to answer your questions. Prindles aren't made anymore, many years ago Nacra bought Prindle and eventually phased out that line of boats. Older Prindles, Hobies and Nacra's are a good buy because they still make about 90% of the parts or the parts are fairly easy to get. Other boats such as the Solcats are trickier because they are complete gone. However you will find that everything except the Hulls, Rudders and castings are fairly interchangeble or can be jury rigged. Things like rudder systems can be swapped with different boats but it is a big job. It's easier and cheaper in the long run to stick with the boats that were manufactured in larger volume or are still in productions such as the big 3 mentioned above.

Check out this guide for some quick information http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Regards,
    Dave

Edited by Wolfman on May 13, 2012 - 10:28 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I think the Getaway is perfect for you. And like Wolfman said, once you have out grown the Getaway you can get a real rocket ship. I would recommend the Hobie 18 Magnum rocket ship, but since your a beginner it is just to much boat for you. The 18 Magnum has a lot of comfortable space because of the wings, and plenty of speed, it is also simple to sail compared to a NACRA, or Hobie Tiger. If you plan on trailering your boat and using boat launches, you really don't have to move it around the beach to much. I single hand my 18 80% of the time, and don't have to much trouble moving her. The Getaway is very durable comfy and kid friendly, its kinda like a miniature 18, because it has wings and a jib, like the 18. The Getaway is just slow, compared to other cats, but faster than most monohulls.

A used Getaway is approximately 3000$ - 5000$. So if you own it for a few years and take care of it you can sell it for a little less. A Hobie 18 can be bought for approximately 800$ - 3000$, which means the Getaway will easily pay for the 18 when you decide the Getaway isn't fast enough for ya. Also with the extra cash you can get some of the nice upgrades for the 18.

Before I bought my cat I rented a 16 and a Getaway about 10 times. So rent one a few times before you buy one because you may end up not liking it as much as you thought. My buddy once told me after a full day of sailing that all we did was sit on a boat and float around. He did not feel the rush of going fast, or the beauty of cruising the ocean with just wind power. I felt bad for him, kinda an immature guy, he rather be playing video games.

--
    ALLEY CAT 1984 RED LINE HOBIE 18 MAGNUM
    Sail # 10505 or 277
    San Diego, Ca
    --
  • another vote for the getaway

friend has 1 and it loads up really well, front tramp is great for kids

boomless and reasonably quick for what it is

coming from my nacra 5.2 it drives like a truck

but that's what you want with little kids and non-sailors on board
  • If Minneapolis is close for you I would look out for a supercat 15 or 17... Plenty of tramp space and large volume in the hulls.. and also is a boomless boat

Edited by dsltrc on May 14, 2012 - 08:31 AM.
  • My two cents, I have young kids myself and the NACRA 5.0/500 is the ideal choice of boat for this situation. It might take a little while to find one but this boat is fast, the straight hull shape prevents the boat from pitchpoling and there is no boom to crack your head on and no dagger boards to mess with. The boat can easily be sailed solo or together. The kids and I had a blast pulling them behind it on the tube... http://youtu.be/trvgt1szzDA

Edited by FlyingDutch on May 14, 2012 - 11:58 AM.

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
  • WolfmanAre you kidding me!! I was the only Winnipegger on this forum (Manitoban for that matter). Welcome aboard!....

Wolfman, I saw Paul on Main last week. I was looking at the new Hobie Tandem Island tricat... He was very helpful and informative

Sure! I’ll take you up on that offer and come to Whiteshell icon_biggrin . That's mighty nice of you. Thanks! I’lll PM you for contact info…

I don’t mind a road trip. MN would be ideal but I’ll drive further if needed.

Youtube Getaway vids very appealing! I’d like to get a used boat to start with.

Edited by snosheriff on May 14, 2012 - 11:40 AM.
  • klppurdyi have a 4 kids and a hobie 16, i often take three at a time but usually two, trampoline gets a little busy with that.

I like that orange crush color!
  • jmeckyI think the Getaway is perfect for you. And like Wolfman said, once you have out grown the Getaway you can get a real rocket ship. I would recommend the Hobie 18 Magnum rocket ship, but since your a beginner it is just to much boat for you. The 18 Magnum has a lot of comfortable space because of the wings, and plenty of speed, it is also simple to sail compared to a NACRA, or Hobie Tiger. If you plan on trailering your boat and using boat launches, you really don't have to move it around the beach to much. I single hand my 18 80% of the time, and don't have to much trouble moving her. The Getaway is very durable comfy and kid friendly, its kinda like a miniature 18, because it has wings and a jib, like the 18. The Getaway is just slow, compared to other cats, but faster than most monohulls.

A used Getaway is approximately 3000$ - 5000$. So if you own it for a few years and take care of it you can sell it for a little less. A Hobie 18 can be bought for approximately 800$ - 3000$, which means the Getaway will easily pay for the 18 when you decide the Getaway isn't fast enough for ya. Also with the extra cash you can get some of the nice upgrades for the 18.

Before I bought my cat I rented a 16 and a Getaway about 10 times. So rent one a few times before you buy one because you may end up not liking it as much as you thought. My buddy once told me after a full day of sailing that all we did was sit on a boat and float around. He did not feel the rush of going fast, or the beauty of cruising the ocean with just wind power. I felt bad for him, kinda an immature guy, he rather be playing video games.

Do I have to trailer the cats or can I assemble them on shore? I pull a 30' camper (non 5th wheel) behind my truck so having the ability to take a boat in pieces would be awesome. I guess it depends on the setup time...

3-5k range sounds good. Yes, I'd like to rent one as well. I need to call around to see if that's available locally.
  • dsltrcIf Minneapolis is close for you I would look out for a supercat 15 or 17... Plenty of tramp space and large volume in the hulls.. and also is a boomless boatEdited by dsltrc on May 14, 2012 - 08:31 AM.

Who makes the Supercat? I'd like to stay with the most popular brands like Hobie & Narca... Maybe Prindle.
  • FlyingDutch; That tubing video makes the cat very applealing! Can all cats do that?

We have large lakes here... How do these cats handle big lakes with large waves? Weather can change quickly. When you are in the middle of the lake it gets rough and choppy very fast...
  • QuoteThe kids and I had a blast pulling them behind it on the tube... http://youtu.be/trvgt1szzDA

Nice video - looks like tons of fun. We will try a tube next time I have my kids out.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • This is currently the best deal within an 8 hour drive of winnipeg. A Nacra 5.0 in really good shape for $1400 with trailor.

http://minneapolis.craigs…/hnp/boa/2971729751.html

I want this boat so bad I can taste it. But the distance and the Wife are stopping me. If you pick it up I will help you rig it and tune it up. Great boat!! No boards, no boom and plenty fast. PM me your e-mail and i will send you the pics the owner sent me.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • snosheriff
    Who makes the Supercat? I'd like to stay with the most popular brands like Hobie & Narca... Maybe Prindle.

Boston Whaler, but that doesn't mean parts are available.

snosheriffFlyingDutch; That tubing video makes the cat very applealing! Can all cats do that?

We have large lakes here... How do these cats handle big lakes with large waves? Weather can change quickly. When you are in the middle of the lake it gets rough and choppy very fast...

It all depends on pulling tubes, any cat can pull a tube slow. I would think the getaway would not have much less power than a Nacra 5.0 (note I didn't say it was faster) for pulling.

As for rough water, The cats can probably handle rougher water than you would think they could. Most of these were designed with the ocean in mind.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.