Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cross sheet the jib sheets to trap handles?  Bottom

• The jib sheets on my P16 are continuous, and I was having some line management problems last weekend trying to keep them where I could reach them when on the wire, and keep them out of the water. On my 470, we used to tie off the end of the jibe sheets to the opposite side trap handle, so it was always there where you could reach it. Does anyone do that on their cat or is there a reason not to do it?

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • Well you'd need to use two sheets instead of continuous, which means a lot more total line flapping around. Try it and let us know how it goes. icon_evil

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • John,
    It sounds like you have this issue when you are single handing. While trapped out single handed on my P16 I used to hang the end of the jib sheet over the toes of my forward foot so I could reach it if I had to, and still keep the tiller and mainsheet in my hands. I tried to tie the thing to the crew trap line but it was too far forward to be useful, and untying in a hurry is not my forte.
    Sheet in!
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • try this
    tape a small loop ( about 3cm exposed loop facing upwards) of weed trimmer line to both shrouds at a reachable height so you can wedge the jib or mainsheet into it before going out on the wire
    once settled just pull it free of the loop
    its that third hand you didnt think you had!
  • Bob - I was thinking the tail of the sheet stays tied off so you never have to untie it.

Eragon - good idea. Or maybe you could have some kind of elastic around your thigh or waist, like a neoprene band, that you could tuck the sheets into but not be tied to them.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • Another option is to valcrow a loop onto something nearby you while you trap out, and just velcrow the loop around the jib sheet when you get over there. I have a P16 and when I'm soloing and trapping out I hate keeping my eye on that jib sheet as is slowly slides leeward and has occassionally dragged in the water.

Maybe keep a valcrow strap tucked under a convenient trampoline line (The ones running in/out of the edge of the side of the hull) to be able to loop around the jib sheet.or around the dogbone handle of the other trap line. The valcrow is durable and releasing it is just a snap.

I'm not sure what you do with your mainsheet when you trap out, nowadays I have a large caribiner clicked around either my life jacket or harness deown near my waist and I click the mainsheet into that before trapezing out. This way It stays right beside me, while still allowing the line to move if necessary.

--
    Redondo Beach, CA
    '80 Prindle 16.
    (Got it for free!)
    --
  • Or you could run the loop around the sdiestays, so all you have to do is squat down to grab it. I have a two ended single line on my Supercat, that is tied off at the tramp track (where the jib blocks used to attach) and then runs around the outside of the sidestays. It is a self-tacking system, so I don't need ot get to it often, but when I do, it is pretty easy to get to.
  • When soloing, I do as Bob said, hang it from my front foot. You have to be organized on the tack. As I'm waiting for the bow to come through the wind, there is a few seconds to spare. I gather up the jib sheet in this time, & bring it across the tramp when i change sides. Get the wire hooked up, then slide out with tiller in one hand, mainsheet in the other. Just do a bit of a knee bend to grab the jib sheet & trim it. I find that as long as a loop is on my toes, & the rest sitting just inside the jib block, it will stay there, even when flying a hull.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.