Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.7  Bottom

• Hello,

I have been sailing a prindle 16 for about the past 15 years and decided that it is time for an upgrade to a bigger faster cat. I have been looking at Nacras 5.5s, 5.8s, and 5.2s and also prindle 19s. Basically anything larger than 16' and with daggerboards.

I happen to come across an older nacra 5.7 for what I thought to be a great deal and was wondering if this will be much of an upgrade from the p16 or if I should hold out for something with daggerboards. What are peoples thoughts of the 5.7? Is there any comparison between the 5.7 and the 5.8 performance wise or would I be wasting my time with the 5.7?
  • the 5.7 is a very fast cat in a straight line with no daggers and long, pitch resistant hulls but it's relatively high handicap number shows it struggles to get to wind as well as any of the boarded cats

the 5.5 and 5.2 can regularly be soloed and go to weather well but are not quite as fast in a straight line

the 5.8 probably has about the same speed as the 5.7 but also goes upwind well, however soloing it may be a bit much in anything but light winds

a lot will depend on where you sail, a smallish deep lake may make pointing more important than speed

an ocean beach with long fast reaches and a surf entry may make a board-less cat better

your call

if the 5.7 is a great deal i would buy it anyway

you can probably always sell it for near what you bought it for if you decide on something else later

Edited by erice on Aug 27, 2011 - 09:17 PM.
  • I agree, I've been lusting after a 5.7 from the beginning. No boom, no boards, very fast, very stable I love that boat. I helped convince EC Hilliard on here to buy a 5.7 several years ago and I think he is pretty happy with it. He also solo's his quite a bit so hopefully he will chime in over the next couple of days.

If you do buy it and don't like it you could always sell it to me. Of course the shipping would be tough...

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for the information. The lakes where I live a pretty shallow especially with the drought conditions that we have been experiencing so that is ideal for the boardless boat but, they are small and narrow and being able to point upwind is very helpful. I can't imagine my P16 would go up wind any better than the 5.7 thou so if thats the case I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I can't wait to go see this boat in person. Is there anything that I should be weary about. The p16 is one tough little boat I guess as long as the hulls are solid on the 5.7 that there should be nothing to worry about. I think the boat is an 84' so from what I have read it would be an all glass boat as opposed to the foam core.
  • the all glass boats seem safe from the dreaded soft spots of delamination so if the hulls look good they probably are

of more long term concern with the solid glass nacras is the condition of the internal stringers and bulkheads

so remove all 4 inspection hatches and with a light and mirror? (or lower a digital camera in to take pics) check as closely as you can the bulkheads for cracks. grab and check the stringers by making sure they are still firmly bonded to the hull walls

check closely around the beam mounts for cracks and signs of repair, make sure all beam bolts have the alloy "chips" and that the captive nuts are still securely embedded in the glass

sails - the oem battens were tapering foam and often break at the skinny end. they can be repaired or replaced but it's not particularly easy or cheap. probably some wear on the batten pockets where they rub the shrouds

rigging should have no broken strands, all shackles should be stainless and blocks harken

mast - 1984 should have swept spreaders?, best if they have not corroded sold to the mast

but if you have been sailing cats for 15 years you will probably be better than average at checking cat condition;o)
  • The 5.8 will handily beat the 5.7, there is quite difference in Portsmouth ratings. I've heard the 5.8 can be a beast, but that is secondhand as I've been on one in calm conditions in Cal-I-forn--i-a, but never seen it solo, or in a blow.
    Quoteso remove all 4 inspection hatches

My 5.7is an '84, the other I was on was '85...neither of them had any ports. If it does, do as Eric said.
    Quotemast - 1984 should have swept spreaders?

Both 5.7s I have been on had swept spreaders. Mine was freshwater boat, & they could be turned with fingers. If they can't it's no big deal, they won't corrode to the mast, it is only the adjustment to change the bars length that corrodes. Dan berger usually has spares.
    Look closely at the big ticket items, tramp, sails, hulls, mast. The sail tends to wear at the bolt rope, towards the bottom, near where it feeds into the mast track. Also look closely at the head & clew plates, I had one come totally apart, the rivets were corroded.(cheap to fix) Make sure all battens are present & not broken,(pull them out & check)
    If you look hard you should be able to find some flaw. Ask about it, then ask if the hulls leak. If the PO lies about the first flaw, you know his answers about the hulls are suspect, along with everything lse he tells you. The boat is 27 years old, as long as they tell you what's wrong, you can plan to fix it.
    I've only ran boat to boat with H16, H17, Dart 18, & can point as well. You might not be as fast as a boat with boards, but if you get the leeward bow buried you can point nearly as well.
    I don't subscribe to the theory of going easy on them because they're old. I drive the crap out of mine, & so does Nacraman57. I've had 2 on the wire & myself on the upwind hull, braced against traveler casting, fully powered, in 20 kts of wind. You hear some creaks, but not much has given way. IF it does, I guess I'll have to buy a new cat.
    You can drive them hard, bow under the water right up to the front beam, & they won't pitch. You can cruise in big wind with 5 adults on a totally clean tramp. If you are in shallow waters, no boards are an asset.
    They are all glass, but may feel "soft" in places. The hulls will "oil can" when you step on the sides(when capsized), especially between the bulkheads.
    I solo mine more often than with crew. I only weigh 170 lbs, I can't power up fully if the wind gets over about 12 mph. Just travel out whatever you need to keep it right side up, or do more "pointing" on windy days. It's a blast on the wire solo, surfing down the rollers after a blow. Anything over 20 mph solo gets to be work, & 30 is survival.
    Used parts are available, but not like you would find for an H18, or N5.2. I bought the only spare 5.7 sails I've found used, but they do come up occaisionally.
    I don't know much about solo raising the mast, I've never done it, two people is easy. It is easy to right if you have another person, I need a wee bit of help solo, unless I get things just right.
    There are two manuals here under tech stuff for them, look through them. If the boat is in good shape, with good sails, & the price is fair, or better than fair, try it out. You can always sell it a year later for the same money.
    I sail with an H16, H17 & Dart 18, a couple of gents who have been sailing for nearly 50 years, on lots of boat types. They were both impressed with the 5.7. They are not cutting edge, or the fastest boat built, but they are pretty dammned good.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.