Hobie Miracle 20

What is the best way to make my hulls look brand new? Paint? Gelcoat? Any ideas directions etc....
If you want them looking brand new, and want them to last 15 years, then have a professional gelcoat it.
If your handy with gelcoat, and have the tools, then you could gelcoat it yourself, its a challenge, but worth it.
To gelcoat a whole boat, you need to spray it, which requires a lot of prep, tools, and space.

A lot of guys use Interlux brightsides, it leaves a nice glossy finish that is somewhat durable to scratches. But deep enough scratch will show old gelcoat. Its easy to apply with roller or brush or spray.

You may not need to paint. Try wet sanding with 600 grit, it will bring back the gelcoat. Definitely try the 600 grit before you paint.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jmecky on May 14, 2012 - 11:07 PM.

--
ALLEY CAT 1984 RED LINE HOBIE 18 MAGNUM
Sail # 10505 or 277
San Diego, Ca
--
I'll second what jmecky said. Seriously try the 600 grit first, and finish up with a nice compound. I used a 3M "oh crap my gelcoat is in bad shape" product, and my hulls are now shiny. I think I got another clue on the age of my boat that pushes it back to pre-1965. The 600 grit and compound still worked.

Tom

--
Tom Benedict
Island of Hawaii
P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
--
The only good long term solution is to paint w/ VC Performance Epoxy. It's harder than gel coat, it has teflon in the mix, and it looks great when sprayed, sanded, buffed properly.
+1 for the 3M "oh crap my gelcoat is in bad shape" product. It's a good rubbing compound. I'd try a test area with that and a high speed buffer first before wet sanding both hulls.

To finish 3M also makes "good christ this wax is super pricey but damn it works like a unicorn rainbow" carnuba wax for around $25/can. It's the bomb, yo.
if you would like decent results, but don't want to spend 500 man hours on your cat... i have had great results with an acid wash (sno bowl) and then using a simple wipe on product (new glass 2)

Takes me about 3-4 hours to do the entire boat.. .
Another option (thanks to PurdueZach): Thoroughly scrub your hulls with Bar Keeper's Friend (active ingrediant is oxylic acid), let dry and then apply 3-4 coats of floor finish (not wax, finish), which acts like a clear coat. I used Zep Wet Look Floor Finish on my chalky old hulls a couple of weeks ago and they turned out great! (See thread linked below)

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmDiWJ3twqHSP09DDigmB-W-eOUICo8R3Jd520d5TPtrCKESFX

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13226
Thank you gentlemen....I'm thinking let the pros do it (even though I am pretty capable myself) this fall....Now its on to new sails.....maybe I can convine my wife to pay for them? LOL