Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

i bought a Reynolds 21  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

• The boat is indeed heavy! We took it out when we probably shouldn't have..... But hey, thats what learning is all about! It was probably 20+ mph winds and we had a running wind and tried to turn to port....and caught a full sail and flipped it. It looked a bit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNql99zT6s

We were fortunate enough to flip right in front of Key Sailing on Pensacola Beach. The owner, Kirk Newkirk, came out and saved our butts! He brought out one of his parasailing boats, hooked up and righted us. He towed us back to shore and gave me a few pointers on how to avoid repeating our mistake.

We have been out on gusty days since, and used his tips to avoid flipping it. It is a blast to have it screaming across the bay. We do get to fly one hull sometimes (which is great), but we don't do it for long because I am still a little leary about flipping.

I have not clocked the boat, but I can say that it is fast! It does not take much wind to enjoy a lazy day of sailing, and it screams in gusty conditions. I may take a gps along this year and see what I can get the boat to do!
  • WOW sounds awesome so what is the tips he gave you, I have said in Jamaica on Hobie cats in white caps! That was a RUSH. I am doing the bottom of my hulls now i have one more to do! then i am ready for the water ill get you the Pic of the trailer soon...

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • He said, "When you look out on the bay and you don't see anyone else dumb enough to sail in that crap, find something else to do!"
    Then he told us that if we released the sails, we could have probably avoided flipping. We had the main and the jib up.... Way too much sail for those conditions.
    It was an awesome day, right up until I actually hit the water. The neat thing about the Hobies is they are easy to right once you flip them. These Reynolds are more difficult. We were glad to have Kirk (and his boat) to help us out
  • I have BIG float for the top of my mast that the previous owner had made! But the Jamaicans told me the same,he siad"""" Keep your hand on sheet mon all time, when u feel boat come up, let go mon a little at a time u know, dont be afraid to go up mon. we have challenge to see who da best how long we can ride one hull! YEA MON! hehehee very cool and for me my you tube channel is jtechie3 keep me in mind i will be videoing my outings!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • I'll keep an eye out for your videos.
  • https://picasaweb.google.…thuser=0&feat=directlink

See if this works here are some photos!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Great pics, Thanks!!
    Your boat (and trailer) look great! Unfortunately, all I could focus on was the snow shovel in the pic taken from your garage...Brrrrrrr
    Looks like you are putting bottom paint on your boat. Why? Are you planning to keep your boat in the water throughout the summer?
  • Yes last guy said he redid it, well the bottom was blistered bad and pimples all over bottom i figured i would just do it this time make it real smooth and fix it one time. its my first boat so i thought i try and treat it nicely! hahah But Rigging it will be a treat if i remember how i have videos but they weren't taken by me. DO you have any tips on raising mast do you walk it up or pull it up with trailer? What do u recommend in raising mast? I do have pics with it all rigged but i have been thinking of this for a while now since Remembered..

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Its been so long since I have done it, I really don't remember the exact steps. I had a stay fail last year and just had all my rigging redone. Unfortunately, I was not there when the raised the mast. I will head down to the shipyard and ask how they did it. I keep the boat on its worn out trailer at the marina just so I won't have to fool with the mast everytime I want to take it out. I just hook it up and launch. Its a more expensive way to do it....but it works for me because I am lazy!
    I remember using the winch on the trailer, a jin-pole, and the port and starboard stays (to stabilize lateral movement). As I recall, it was relatively easy.
  • I hope you all can help me out a bit... I am looking at a Reynolds 21 that has been fitted with a Hobie 18 mast and sails. I am having a hard time finding much info on the R21 mast and sails. I have read that the original mast is 30' as well as 30' off the water line (which is it)??? From what I have found on sail area from the R21 to the H18 I am down about 30 sqft (not sure if this is accurate). I am told that it comes with a reacher so I am guessing its the original. From pic I have found on the net it looks like the jib on a R21 is a bit higher up the mast than a H18. If this is the case the original reacher wouldn't really work... I was also thinking if the mast is too short I can fit it with a comp tip to get the height back. I am also guessing that the foot of both sails is much on a H18. Maybe fit it with a comp tip and have sails made?

Any help would be great... Thanks!
  • If its 30' off the waterline the h18 mast would be close. I think you should give it a try before making big changes.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • here is what i know about my BOAT! hope it helps

Reynolds 21

LOA : 21.0
    Beam : 12’6”
    Beam on trailer 8’6”
    Tramp 192 SF 16X12
    Displacement 690 +
    Draft 3’0
    Boards Up 0’8”
    Mast Height 30’
    Main 230 SF
    jib 85 sf
    Screacher 175 SF
    Spinnaker 250
    Storm Jib 30

Edited by soulofasailor on Jun 13, 2012 - 09:16 AM.

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Mast height 30'... Is this off of the waterline or the length of the mast?
  • It's off the cross beams .. if that is what u mean. It's like a hobie cat where the mast rotates at the ball .

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Ok... so that means if you lay the mast down on the ground and measure it from one end to the other it is 30'?
    (nothing to do with the boat... Just the mast)
  • Yes that is what I mean .. I don't know any other way to measure a mast !

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • UPDATE R21, Still looking for owners that have a R21. I have been in 20+ winds with her and she does really well ! I have been very cautious in the winds to sail her in.. But i am in a very small lake sailing. Very gusty too. If it pipes up i put her away on go on the Hobie cats ! I really like the H18 and the Getaways! Might be looking for a second boat in the near future! I have fixed the rudder system i would say it is 85% better then the original design!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • QuoteYes that is what I mean .. I don't know any other way to measure a mast !

Typically, when you measure an aluminum mast, measurement are taken on the extrusion only, not including the cast fittings on either end.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
    Yes that is what I mean .. I don't know any other way to measure a mast !

how about with a tape Measure, lay the mast down and run a tape along the side of it?

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Good to see you back and still sailing!

soulofasailorUPDATE R21, Still looking for owners that have a R21. I have been in 20+ winds with her and she does really well ! I have been very cautious in the winds to sail her in.. But i am in a very small lake sailing. Very gusty too. If it pipes up i put her away on go on the Hobie cats ! I really like the H18 and the Getaways! Might be looking for a second boat in the near future! I have fixed the rudder system i would say it is 85% better then the original design!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.