Hobie 18 cracked hull question

I have a 1981 Hobie 18 and the left hull has been cracked (6" thin vertical compression crack) on the inside about 6" in front of rear crossbar because the trailer collapsed during winter months. To repair from inside the hull the question is whether to install a 6" port on the hull in front of the rear crossbar or install a 4" port directly behind the rear crossbar (think I can reach the area with arm thru 4 1/2" hole from there). Is there a bulkhead or foam that would block me from doing this under rear crossbar. I would rather not put 6" port on hull because it is seating area. Any help greatly appreciated.
Putting the 4" port behind the rear beam sounds like the thing to do if you can do the repair with that access. It's a pretty standard spot to have a port, I've considered putting a port there without needing a repair just to make it easier to clean water and debris from near the rear drain.

I don't think you will find anything in your way, but let us know if you do!

Please take pictures as you do the repair and add a folder to the "Beachcats Technical" section of the photo albums so others can benifit from your experience.

Good Luck!

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
I put a 5" port behind the rear crossbar. About 16" behind it so I can just reach the transom & the area to add anchor plates to the crossbar. Do not go larger than a 5" port.
There are 2 foam blocks under the rear crossbar. However their might be enough slop in them to get to the area you need to work on. I know they can be pushed quite far up the hull (to the dagger well). I added 4" ports behind the rear crossbar to get access to my drain plugs, i would put this port in anyways even if you can't get to the spot you need to repair.

Tom