Might be a dumb idea.......

This might be a dumb idea but I was looking at my H16 yesterday and have been thinking about attempting the following:
A cargo net (forward trampoline)for the forward potion of the boat. The anchor points would be attached to the port and starboard hulls where the bridal is anchored into the hulls. This would be made so that it could easly be attached/detached. I was then thinking of making this go after to the pylons using 1.5" woven strapping, also made to be easily detached.
I do not think I would attempt to use this while sailing, but rather the countless hours I spend on the beach or drifting (not sailing).
My concern is the strain from the weight on the netting pulling down on the hulls, being that the bridal tension is pulling up. I do not know if the hulls could support up 200 lbs.
Has anyone attempted this? Does it work?
The Hobie 16 hulls are designed to take weight from the pylons down to the fiberglass structure within the hulls, not on the hulls directly. But, if it were only temporary weight on the hulls than I don't see a problem with this (unless you encounter waves). Just don't want to put weight on the tops of the hulls for long periods of time (soft spots can develop this way). I say try it out, that's kind of what sailing is about, seeing what works on a boat and what doesn't.
Please for the love of God though don't sail with the netting loaded down, you will be swimming lots icon_wink
QuoteThe anchor points would be attached to the port and starboard hulls where the bridal is anchored into the hulls.

Sorry, I didnt read this close enough but there might be a problem here. Having upwards of 200 lbs with points attached to the bridal anchors could cause lots of lateral tension stress. This may do nothing to a tank like the 16, or it could over time rip out the anchor points (made for handling vertical loads, not such horizontal).
I was also thinking about doing this to my cat. I was considering using shock cord to attach the net and use an elastic type netting that will spread the load. If the normal tramp can hold 400+ pounds on most cats, then why couldn't it be done on the front. You'd just need to distrubute all the weight to all parts and also to the cross beam which i would imagine can how that weight
The G Cats have always had a forward tramp. Check them out for some ideas
Just remember, if it is a Hobie 14/16 with the banana hulls, there isn't a lot of buoyancy in the foward section of the hulls. I'm not saying it won't work, but the boats that have the foward tramps/netting have nice big bows, such as the G-Cat. Also, I am pointing out what to watch out for with the whole process.

Another question is how many will be on the boat when the netting or loaded with gear? Hobie 16s can hold maybe 550 lbs before they adopt the characteristics of submarines.
After thinking about it this probably is not the best for the boat for the long term. All of the points where the additional strain would be placed are just about 90 degrees off from how the boat is currently designed. The pylons would have a force pulling forward where as now it is loaded down.
I think I will just stick to my solar powered pizza oven built into the transom idea for the time being. icon_lol
mma600psiI do not think I would attempt to use this while sailing, but rather the countless hours I spend on the beach or drifting (not sailing).
My concern is the strain from the weight on the netting pulling down on the hulls, being that the bridal tension is pulling up. I do not know if the hulls could support up 200 lbs.
Has anyone attempted this? Does it work?

I'm not clear what you plan to use this for? When you say Cargo Net I'm thinking it's to be able to carry more stuff with you, limited space on the H16 tramp. But when you say 200 pounds and not sailing? A place to sit while on the beach?

There are beachcat sailors in California that sail to the Channel Islands and camp, so they need a lot of storage (not 200 pounds worth!) and have devised all kinds of clever things, including front cargo nets.

I don't think Gary's Cargo Trampoline design would work on a Hobie 16, but there are pictures in the Beachcats Technical section.

Years ago in the Hobie Hotline, there was a company that advertised a forward storage box made of fiberglass, it was arched upwards from each hull in front of the mast up to the height of the tramp, I never saw one so I don't know how much it weighed. Wish I could find a picture now.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
yes... please explain in more detail, of your end use for the net / front tramp

[/quote]

What are those three white tubes running port to starboard just aft of the mast?
andrewscottyes... please explain in more detail, of your end use for the net / front tramp

It would be to support a person.
mma600psiWhat are those three white tubes running port to starboard just aft of the mast?

Those are "Q Tips" to be used in place of beach wheels at the destination beach. The Channel Islands have rough beaches which are pretty steep, so they use those rollers (pvc tubes with rubber bumbers on the ends) to roll the cats. Pretty clever.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
mma600psi
It would be to support a person.

Then no, I don't think this is a good idea for a Hobie 16.

Other beachcats have used forward tramps, the G-Cats and the Hobie Getaway come to mind.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
I have always thought it odd that most makes of cats do not have a forward tramp. There are times when the jib may not unfurl completely... more room to carry more.

Looking into a G-Cat. Hans (the maker) used to sale six different kinds of cats in his business. He designed the G-Cat to include what the others did not... including a forward tramp.

As pointed out the Hobie was designed to take loading at the tramp support. The hulls were not designed to be walked on. If your homemade tramp causes you to step on your pontoon... it might cause future problems.

Check this out - http://users.tpg.com.au/kkmiller/hobie/touring_tramp.html
Ha nice find. I have been to that page before to read about the ridiculous sailing adventure. Thanks for the additional technical advice.
I created a small front tramp to hold my cooler and anchor. I am trying to keep my tramp totally clear. This will not be to hold the weight of a person. I had to put a few eyetraps in my hulls (with a backing plate) to secure the forward part of the tramp.

This is still the prototype and am having a new custom one created soon.

http://www.bodyhealth.com/html/biobuilde/images/5.jpg