Long distance sail trip

Any advice? I am planning for next year to sail "long distance" (it's relative). I plotted a course and figured it would be about 40 miles, without tacking from Berkeley Island Park (bayville NJ)south to Mullica River. This is all on the intercoastal waterway. I am planning on renting a cabin at a local campground about a half mile from the river, so I will have to pack some gear. I will have another person with me for the sail also.
The standards essentials like water, flashlights, GPS, tools, spares etc will be brought, but I don't know if I am missing anything. Planning on a day sail down, camp for two days or so and to sail back up.
Any pointers would be great.
Here is the short list:

In addition to some self-sufficiency waterproof food and fresh water, we find it handy to have some other things when we're doing such sailing.

1. A couple of waterproof single smoke and ariel flares is awful handy just in case.

2. One paddle is better than a daggerboard or paddling surfboard style and we wished we had two when the sun went down and we still had a long way to go w/o wind.

3. A fully charged cell phone,

4. LED divers flashlight and a couple of chemical lights and a whistle for each person,

5. submersible GPS,

6. a chart of the area,

7. small waterproof strobe,

8. VHF submersible radio,

9. A few extra batteries in a water proof container with your cell phone is good insurance,

10. A small sea anchor was handy and on one occasion staying put was a good thing and being bow to seas rather than beam on made life better than otherwise.

11. Suitable clothing for expected conditions and something so you can be warm and seen if it turns into an unexpected night-time thing.

12. Give someone who is reliable a copy of your float plan and some instructions if they don't hear back from you at a prearranged time.

lots of spares, spare ropes (especially high load bearing ones in case a stay breaks) spare clip and pins, shackles, a leatherman etc

sunscreen! an all day event on the water can cause sunburn

andrewscottHere is the short list:

In addition to some self-sufficiency waterproof food and fresh water, we find it handy to have some other things when we're doing such sailing.

1. A couple of waterproof single smoke and ariel flares is awful handy just in case.

2. One paddle is better than a daggerboard or paddling surfboard style and we wished we had two when the sun went down and we still had a long way to go w/o wind.

3. A fully charged cell phone,

4. LED divers flashlight and a couple of chemical lights and a whistle for each person,

5. submersible GPS,

6. a chart of the area,

7. small waterproof strobe,

8. VHF submersible radio,

9. A few extra batteries in a water proof container with your cell phone is good insurance,

10. A small sea anchor was handy and on one occasion staying put was a good thing and being bow to seas rather than beam on made life better than otherwise.

11. Suitable clothing for expected conditions and something so you can be warm and seen if it turns into an unexpected night-time thing.

12. Give someone who is reliable a copy of your float plan and some instructions if they don't hear back from you at a prearranged time.

lots of spares, spare ropes (especially high load bearing ones in case a stay breaks) spare clip and pins, shackles, a leatherman etc

sunscreen! an all day event on the water can cause sunburn

Hey thanks that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Is the distance I am planning too far to expect to make in a given day, God willing we have decent winds. I don't want to get in over my head, especially over my head in water!
All depends on the wind but you should be able to do 8-12 mph with good wind of regular sailing (little gear)

25 miles is a reasonable distance to do in a couple of hours and wind permitting 40 in a day seems very possible... but be ready for everything..

PS this seems like you will have allot of gear for 2 people and a Hobie 16. We camp all the time here and the boat fills up pretty quickly...

Here is a pic of my friend and his H20 with their weekend gear (yes they bring EVERYTHING.. including an oven)

http://www.metalfree.com/a/cat/m/light.jpg

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 21, 2008 - 05:33 PM
andrewscottHere is a pic of my friend and his H20 with their weekend gear (yes they bring EVERYTHING.. including an oven)

LOL, that pic is great! All except for the dude wearing the bikini! Yikes!

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Who you mean "Pants to tight Dave"?
Sounds like American Indian...lol
lol that is a loaded down boat. i wonder how it sails like that? what would be a better pic is if they are flying a hull w/that stuff.
LOL... no flying like that....

How do they sail... he loads and unloads at a boat ramp that is very close to the island he camps on. they use one (or both of his 2 jibs on that boat) and he has a small trolling motor (that attaches at the front beam) to get in the ramp area.

they load and unload all this every weekend. They have all the essentials for roughing it... dvd player, tv, oven, remote controlled shower, jam box, etc. oh yea, that boat has 2 dry cell batteries, lights (both above and below the waterline) speakers on the mast and deck) and wall to wall carpet...