A day of sailing?

Sheesh, I've got to get me some gloves, every time I come back from sailing my hands are raw.
So I decide to take the day off and go sailing, winds forecast 15 mph gusting to 20. I live in Columbia MO and decide to go to Longbranch, 1 hr drive north just outside of Macon. The wind is out of the NW and the launch ramp is on the west side of the lake. So I drop the kids at school and 1hr later, at the lake. Wind is howling, on a shrieking reach, trapped out on the back of the boat, behind the tiller connecting bar because the leeward hull is trying to bury the bow, 25 knot gust catches me and puts me over, oops. I could not right the cat by myself, tried everything. 45 min later drifting on a lee shore full of rocks, I opt for a small cove and swim the capsized cat away from the rocks into the cove thinking I'll be able to stand in shallow water and right the cat. Cove turns out to be full of silt and I keep sinking up to my thighs in soft muck everytime I try hand over hand the mast, sticky situation. I'm considering climbing a 4 foot bank so I can get some hight and firm footing for the mast when 2 conservation guys turn up in a powerboat and throw me a rope, have to eat humble pie, they tow me out of the cove and help me pull the cat over.
Now, my winter project will be to mount a righting pole, under my cat, hinged to the dolphin stryker, cable/cord from the pole to the forward pylons with rope locks on either side of the righting pole. Pole clips under tramp, in the event of a capsize, unclip pole, rotate out to right angle of capsized cat, engage ropelock, hang on pole, right the cat, clip pole away, climb back on cat, trapped out on a screaming reach, feet planted on pontoon all the way back because the leeward hull is trying to bury the bow...... icon_biggrin

edited by: turbohobo, Oct 01, 2008 - 03:40 AM

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--

buy a righting bag (and blocks).. lots easier...

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 01, 2008 - 12:06 PM
Cat Righting Bag System from Murrays---------$185
Power Righting System from Murrays-----------$259
My own system---------------------------------$50

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--