3 Boat comparison

Anyone have experience with these models I’m considering?
Not interested in racing, just a go-fast recreational sailor. Simple enough for solo sailing, big enough to take a friend or two. Considerations for, price, parts availability, ease of setup and good sailing characteristics.
Nacra 5.5
Nacra 17
Prindle 18
Thanks
There seems to be a nice nacra (inter) 17 for sale in current classified section (and has jib).
The 5.5 (sloop or uni) is one of the best all time non-spinny boats in my opinion. For 2-up sailing the sloop set-up is recommended. Murrays and others carry a lot of replacement parts. Hard to find are hulls, beams, mast, rudders.
The Nacra (Inter) 17 is more modern hull shape than the 5.5 and can carry a spinny. Parts availability is similar to the 5.5.
No experience with the Prindle, and much older design.

For single handed - the Inter 17 or 5.5 uni. For 2-up the Inter 17 with jib or the 5.5 Sloop.

Cheers.
Wild Thing.
There will be many varied opinions. Don't limit yourself to the boats you mentioned. With older boats the condition and experience of the seller should be first and foremost, not the year the boat was manufactured. A used boat that's being sailed regularly should take precedence over anything that has been sitting around for years. Be careful of anything that's had water in the hulls for years. And don't forget the price of new sails and tramps can exceed the price of the boat.

All the boats you mentioned should be good choices, but your experience and location should narrow it down a little. By location, I mean are you sailing from a beach with a shore break or dockside? If it's a beach how big are the waves you have to punch through? You might want to consider going boardless especially if you're alone. Boards will always be problematic. If you're a newcomer, you should consider the Prindle 18-1 if you can find one. It's boardless and parts are available. It's big enough for two experienced sailors to get their kicks but not so overpowering that you can't single hand it on some days. As far as performance is concerned, when you're tearing along on a whitecap day, you won't really be able to tell any difference in the speed of these boats. The only time you may notice a speed difference is when sailing alongside a faster boat and even then, with equal size boats, the faster boat will only seem to creep past you.

Ease of set up? This is very subjective because any boat can be made easier to set up. Are you keeping your boat in a mast up storage marina where you only have to trailer a few hundred feet or will you have to trailer miles to your launch area and step the mast by yourself?

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like if you are buying used, you don't get to choose the model. Instead you have to go by the particular traits of the particular boats available. For example, some used Prindle 18s are in far better shape than some used Nacra 17s, and vice-versa.
Great responses. Thank you all. Turns out each of the models I mentioned are available in some form on the classifieds. Each have there own pluses. One trait that sticks out, is the condition of the boat. More important than which model. Boardless and boomless would be great - a nice N500! But very hard to come by. I know someone is gonna jump in and suggest a getaway. Had one in the past. Nice boats for what they are, but the fiberglass models are better pure sailing boats in my experience. But, with young kids, the getaway is awsome!
Sure you get to choose. Pick the model you believe is the best boat for you, seach every 'for sale listing' (hopefully its this one) and purchase accordingly when available. It is only if one is time constrained that there might not be a choice.

Although my fleet has shrunk a bit, I am a firm believer in the multiple boat approach. icon_smile

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
Dssaak,
from your post, it sounds like you have a boat for sale. If so, details?
Thanks, m
I don't currently have a boat for sale but my sailing buddies do. I believe a Hobie 16, a Prindle 16 and a Prindle 18. They may also be putting their I20 on the block as well. Pete is on here frequently and will likely chime in. Last I heard, there was already some interest in the H16.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
The Nacra F17 (singlehanded) with the carbon mast will be the absolute easiest mast to set up. Awesome boat to sail 1 or 2 up. Bows are super forgiving in chop. Trust me, I sailed one for a day.

icon_wink

--
Master UniRig Sailor
--
Any boat is pretty easy singlehanded to raise the mast with a gin pole and a good trailer winch. When I owned it, I regularly put up the Tiger mast myself and it was a beast.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
tangledsailGreat responses. Thank you all. Turns out each of the models I mentioned are available in some form on the classifieds. Each have there own pluses. One trait that sticks out, is the condition of the boat. More important than which model. Boardless and boomless would be great - a nice N500! But very hard to come by. I know someone is gonna jump in and suggest a getaway. Had one in the past. Nice boats for what they are, but the fiberglass models are better pure sailing boats in my experience. But, with young kids, the getaway is awsome!

What about grabbing a N5.0 and making the same conversions? Pop a square top main and either move the the jib sheets to the forward beam or just leave them where they are.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
tangledsail...Beachcat Market Place N America on FB has a N500 listed in DE.

--
Pete
2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
2016 NACRA 500 Sport
DeLand, FL
--
Here is the N500.

https://www.facebook.com/…post_id=1235068680462225

Edited by pknapp66 on Apr 10, 2023 - 06:46 PM.

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--
Hi guys
Can I ask favor?
Two of you just sent me link to my 1st. Choice of boat. Thank you. No contact info in ad , don’t have fb to respond. Tried to sign up on fb and site is bonking me out. Can someone reach out to seller and get a phone number or email for me.
Thank you, mark
248-217-3181
Scratch that. Third try and attempt to join went through.
Thanks m
This is embarressing! I still need help on this. After I signed up on FB, all I can see are stupid videos!! I can't see the message I sent Jay for the N500. Don't know if I did it right. Don't really have time to learn FB at the moment. So, if anyone can see if that guy has a contact and can pass it back to me, I would appreciate that. Or, pass my number on to him. Whatever is easiest. Anyway, please and thank you. Now, let the chuckles begin!
mark
tangledsail....I sent him your phone number. Hopefully he calls you.

--
Pete
2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
2016 NACRA 500 Sport
DeLand, FL
--
tangledsail...he says he reached out to you. Good luck.

--
Pete
2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
2016 NACRA 500 Sport
DeLand, FL
--
Hi Saltlife77
Yes, we connected finally! I appreciate your help on that.
Trying to see if I can make this work.
Will post
tangledsailHi Saltlife77
Yes, we connected finally! I appreciate your help on that.
Trying to see if I can make this work.
Will post

Great...good luck!!

--
Pete
2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
2016 NACRA 500 Sport
DeLand, FL
--