Hobie Wave < Perfect Boat < F-16

I've been sailing Hobie Waves for years at the local sailing club (Clearwater Community Sailing Center, FL) and it getting a little old. I used to own a Taipan F-16 rig but I couldn't right it and it was generally too hot for what I'm looking for. What am I looking for?

I'm 150 lbs and sail single handed 90% of the time. Occasionally I take my wife (120 lbs) out for a sail. She's happy to get wet and handle a line but doesn't want to "learn to sail", so not much more than a passenger.

So I'm looking for something that isn't as hot as an F-16 but I still want the main & spinnaker setup. Probably skegs rather than daggerboards... At the momemt I'm thinking a Nacra 460 (do they still sell these?) or maybe a RS/Topaz 14.

Am I missing something? Am I being reasonable? Thanks in advance.

Edited by danielt1263 on Oct 19, 2022 - 11:02 PM.
Check the latest TheBeachcats.com Classified ads. Topcat K4 (I've never heard of it), but sounds like it would fit your needs.
Roller furling jib, roller genneker, and wings! (they help a lot when soloing); All in a 15' boardless design.

Edited by georgeseary on Oct 20, 2022 - 01:45 AM.
Nacra 500 or its predecessor the 5.0. Even though you mostly sail solo, there will be times when you want to take a friend especially if it's too windy and out of your single handing "comfort zone". I owned one for ten years and ninety per cent of the time I was by myself. It was a great single hander and with my light weight it was very responsive. During that time, I was well into my 60's, 150 lbs and was still able to step the mast solo. As far as righting is concerned, there are plenty of devices to help you, like bags or even a gin pole stowed under the boat.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
georgesearyCheck the latest TheBeachcats.com Classified ads. Topcat K4 (I've never heard of it), but sounds like it would fit your needs.
Roller furling jib, roller genneker, and wings! (they help a lot when soloing); All in a 15' boardless design.Edited by georgeseary on Oct 20, 2022 - 01:45 AM.

It's a German boat https://topcat.de/en/boats/k4x/. As far as I can tell, they have no US dealers. You have to order direct from them and they ship the boat to you. It's a good deal lighter than the Nacra 460... Hmm...
The Topcat looks like a cool boat with the exception of the rudder system. It's a cassette system and I doubt it kicks up on impact. I took a look at the assembly manual and it says the rudder cassette must be completely closed when sailing or it will be damaged which makes it seem complex and delicate. This would be a deal breaker for me, but if you always sailed in deep water it may be fine.
Looking at the one in the classifieds being sold by east coast sailboats, I would assume they are a dealer. The boat looks brand new and there is another one sitting next to it? The rudders might be the deal breaker for a beachcat as they don't look to be kick up.
danielt1263 - we were sailing there couple weeks ago. Plenty of options. I think I spotted a Nacra 500 (or 520?) for sale at the northern fenced lot. There's also a red Weta there which may be for sale.

You could get your hands on a Nacra 15 (2nd hand) - which can be sailed depowered, or you can power it up and it's a hoot. It can be righted solo by an adult (at your weight, might need a water bag to assist - I right it with 170lbs).

You could get a "previous generation" a-cat. Or a modern F16 – similar to N15 above for soloing and two-handed.

Definitely talk to Robbie and Jill (Red Gear Racing) – they work from there, have some boats for sale, and/or will have info on good deals. Even if you buy elsewhere, talk to Robbie about having a session with him to squeeze the juice out of it, and perhaps learn handling in difficult conditions.

Clearwater is possibly one of the best venues ever for a beach cat.
QuoteDefinitely talk to Robbie and Jill (Red Gear Racing) – they work from there, have some boats for sale, and/or will have info on good deals. Even if you buy elsewhere, talk to Robbie about having a session with him to squeeze the juice out of it, and perhaps learn handling in difficult conditions.

Clearwater is possibly one of the best venues ever for a beach cat.

+1
Hobie 17 with a righting pole would fit the bill.
If spending ~$7000+ you should also evaluate a Weta.
James
Well, I got the Topcat K4X. For the curious, I looked into the rudders and the do have a kick-up feature. It should be substantially more fun than the Hobie Wave has been.
Never sailed before. People say start sailing on a Sunfish or a Laser. But never liked them. I'll buy a Hobie Wave instead. At 140lb, can I learn sailing on that?

Edited by layla on Dec 08, 2022 - 09:09 PM.
The wave is a perfectly competent boat to learn basic sailing in, you might learn different habits in it than a small monohull but the principles would be the same. What might be a problem is moving the boat itself around. At 245 lbs its a menace to move around on land, especially by yourself.

laylaNever sailed before. People say start sailing on a Sunfish or a Laser. But never liked them. I'll buy a Hobie Wave instead. At 140lb, can I learn sailing on that?Edited by layla on Dec 08, 2022 - 09:09 PM.
I would have to disagree with that statement. My Blade comes in at about that same weight and on a set of beach wheels it moves without issue. Even now that I am old(er), I roll the Blade a few hundred yards from the 'pasture'' to the shore each time I sail it. Pretty easy to do.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
With a dolly, I'll be alright.
pt_pinosThe wave is a perfectly competent boat to learn basic sailing in, you might learn different habits in it than a small monohull but the principles would be the same.

Many told me otherwise. Why should I start on a tippy monohull if I can learn on this instead?
https://youtu.be/e3PYBTBNM4E

Edited by layla on Dec 09, 2022 - 11:25 AM.
Hey Daniel,
You are missing the obvious!
Why buy a second grade cat as a Wave or anything else in that boring category? As you have sailed a F16, I doubt you can accept less good boats. Seems like the problem for you, was that the full area was to hot for you. The easy way out, is to go for a F16 and let a local sail loft cut down the main to an SA that is acceptable for you. You can do the same with an A-cat. Even with cut down sails they will be far better off than the other alternatives suggested. I have done the same with a few sails.

Edited by revintage on Dec 09, 2022 - 03:23 PM.

--
Brgds
Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
--
revintageHey Daniel,
Why buy a second grade cat as a Wave or anything else in that boring category? As you have sailed a F16, I doubt you can accept less good boats. Seems like the problem for you, was that the full area was to hot for you. The easy way out, is to go for a F16 and let a local sail loft cut down the main to an SA that is acceptable for you. You can do the same with an A-cat. Even with cut down sails they will be far better off than the other alternatives suggested. I have done the same with a few sails.Edited by revintage on Dec 09, 2022 - 03:23 PM.

Appears as if Daniel has already bought a Topcat. I'm the one who's wondering if the Wave would be a good beginner sailboat.

Edited by layla on Dec 09, 2022 - 04:19 PM.
Layla,
Let the haters go! I sail a Wave and it's a hoot! In fact, I have 2 of them!!!

On the FWC site (https://formulawaveclass.freeforums.net/), I have posted the HOBIE WAVE Tuning Guide. Get set up and have fun!!! You have to join the group to view it.

Bob icon_wink

--
Master UniRig Sailor
--
Hi Layla,
Didn´t notice that. My suggestion goes for you too icon_cool . But if you want a cat without daggerboards it is another thing.

layla
revintageHey Daniel,
Why buy a second grade cat as a Wave or anything else in that boring category? As you have sailed a F16, I doubt you can accept less good boats. Seems like the problem for you, was that the full area was to hot for you. The easy way out, is to go for a F16 and let a local sail loft cut down the main to an SA that is acceptable for you. You can do the same with an A-cat. Even with cut down sails they will be far better off than the other alternatives suggested. I have done the same with a few sails.Edited by revintage on Dec 09, 2022 - 03:23 PM.

Appears as if Daniel has already bought a Topcat. I'm the one who's wondering if the Wave would be a good beginner sailboat.Edited by layla on Dec 09, 2022 - 04:19 PM.

Edited by revintage on Dec 10, 2022 - 09:11 AM.

--
Brgds
Lars

Aerow trimaran foiler

--
Hey, no one is "hating" but most have a strong opinion about the one boat they love. All boats have a plus/minus evaluation. Which boat you end up with depends on which has the most check marks in the plus column for you. Think about what criteria is important to you, compare all the boats, buy one and get out on the water. It is a great sport no matter your platform.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
dssaakHey, no one is "hating" but most have a strong opinion about the one boat they love. All boats have a plus/minus evaluation. Which boat you end up with depends on which has the most check marks in the plus column for you. Think about what criteria is important to you, compare all the boats, buy one and get out on the water. It is a great sport no matter your platform.

Thanks dk,
Unfortunately, different opinions can be misinterpreted as "hate" in our woke world icon_wink .

--
Brgds
Lars

Aerow trimaran foiler

--
People try to talk me into buying a sun-fish as my 1st boat. Im here to find out if a Wave could do that job too instead. I have not sailed anything yet.
laylaPeople try to talk me into buying a sun-fish as my 1st boat. Im here to find out if a Wave could do that job too instead. I have not sailed anything yet.

I can guarantee a Wave will do the job better as your first boat icon_cool .

Edited by revintage on Dec 10, 2022 - 02:07 PM.

--
Brgds
Lars

Aerow trimaran foiler

--
laylaPeople try to talk me into buying a sun-fish as my 1st boat. Im here to find out if a Wave could do that job too instead. I have not sailed anything yet.

A Wave is an excellent first boat. I sailed almost elusively Waves for the past 20+ years.
revintageI can guarantee a Wave will do the job better as your first boat.

danielt1263A Wave is an excellent first boat. I sailed almost elusively Waves for the past 20+ years.

What I was hoping to hear. icon_cool
wxguythe HOBIE WAVE Tuning Guide.

Jib!! icon_biggrin
If you want to race in a Sunfish fleet, the Wave will not do a better job as your first boat. What is the criteria then you can determine the boat. If you are talking about sailing technique specifically, yes, it will do as a first boat. As they say, if you can tack a H14, you can tack anything.

Way back when my wife and I were very young and also very light weight, we used to take the H14 out and anchor it out on the lake. We'd eat lunch, swim, sunbath and then sail some more. I think that would have been hard to do on a sunfish. I am glad my first boat was a H14. However, today, there are different alternatives depending on what you think your end game may be.

I have bought and sold my share of boats over the years. Some of the best times of my life include sailing.
Jump in with both feet and don't look back.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
dssaakIf you are talking about sailing technique specifically, yes, it will do as a first boat.

Yes!! icon_cool

Edited by layla on Dec 11, 2022 - 06:05 PM.
pt_pinosThe wave is a perfectly competent boat to learn basic sailing in, you might learn different habits in it than a small monohull but the principles would be the same.

This is another yes.

Wave! icon_cool
dssaakAs they say, if you can tack a H14, you can tack anything.

What is H14?
That does it. I'm getting a Wave!

Edited by layla on Dec 12, 2022 - 02:03 PM.
layla
dssaakAs they say, if you can tack a H14, you can tack anything.

What is H14?

Hobie 14??

Edited by layla on Dec 12, 2022 - 05:25 PM.
Hobie 14 is the boat reference but the technical point is tacking a boat that has no jib and the transistion from one tack to the other is 8ft apart not to mention any kind of wave action.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
On the Wave in light or very heavy air. Tacking sometimes involves hiking way out on the aft quarter to get the boat to pivot using the opposite bow as a sail...
Bought a Sunfish. icon_lol

It was cheap and well maintained. I couldn't have passed.