Nacra 5.7 Jibsheet setup

Hello everyone,

I am sailing a Nacra 5.7 for a while now but one thing bothers me a bit. With the Harken ratchet cleat blocks on the track, I personally think it's quite hard to uncleat the sheet for trimming even with the angle adjusted all the way.
Now I know it's possible to reverse the cleats so u uncleat them when pulling to the front of the boat (if that makes sense). The setup I now have in regular blocks at the track. I riveted two loops on the front beam where the turning blocks are for the spinnaker sheet on a 570 (since I am planning for a spinnaker shortly) and put the rachet blocks on there. Not a perfect solution but ist a bit better I guess.

The reason I think reversing the cleats will work is because then when you give the line a bit of slack the smack it out of the cleat it won't hit the trampoline.

I would love to use the blocks I have now.

The real questions then:
- has anyone experience with reversing the cleats on the jib sheet blocks?
- what are you running for a setup on a 5.7 for a jib sheet? pictures?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Bjarnuhh81567

Hobie 16 1984 (81567) sold
Nacra 5.7 1983 (152)
Nacra F18 Demo model 2001 (1)

Edited by bjarnuhh81567 on Aug 17, 2022 - 11:00 PM.
I think what is meant by "reversing the blocks" is to turn the cam cleat part of the block upside down. Another solution, albeit pricey, is to switch to Oxen blocks. Look them up at Murrays Watersports. They are a good solution when your sheeting angles differ, like being on the wire instead of on the boat. Or if you're using a barber haul device which can change your sheeting angle.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
That's what I meant yeah, turning them upside down. I have no idea how the Oxen blocks work tho, and after a quick look I can't get them easily here in the Netherlands but thanks for the tip.
bjarnuhh81567Hello everyone,

I am sailing a Nacra 5.7 for a while now but one thing bothers me a bit. With the Harken ratchet cleat blocks on the track, I personally think it's quite hard to uncleat the sheet for trimming even with the angle adjusted all the way.
Now I know it's possible to reverse the cleats so u uncleat them when pulling to the front of the boat (if that makes sense). The setup I now have in regular blocks at the track. I riveted two loops on the front beam where the turning blocks are for the spinnaker sheet on a 570 (since I am planning for a spinnaker shortly) and put the rachet blocks on there. Not a perfect solution but ist a bit better I guess.

The reason I think reversing the cleats will work is because then when you give the line a bit of slack the smack it out of the cleat it won't hit the trampoline.

I would love to use the blocks I have now.

The real questions then:
- has anyone experience with reversing the cleats on the jib sheet blocks?
- what are you running for a setup on a 5.7 for a jib sheet? pictures?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Bjarnuhh81567

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago here : https://www.thebeachcats.…opic/topic/18901/start/0

My album: https://www.thebeachcats.…b27ed1835e6beef07fdb0e04
Here it is in my album:
https://www.thebeachcats.…c1b9fbc10aa4b3a2f4ab222e
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18433&g2_serialNumber=9&g2_GALLERYSID=69fcbe06cb09a8dfe5f219d16fb7ddc1

--
Philip
--
Hey Philip,

Thanks for the response, I was wondering how your experience is with the inverted cams and if the springs are neasecerely.

Bjarnuhh81567
bjarnuhh81567Hey Philip,

Thanks for the response, I was wondering how your experience is with the inverted cams and if the springs are neasecerely.

Bjarnuhh81567

Inverting the cams is a game changer. Makes a huge difference. Obviously you want to optimize the sheeting angle. As for the springs, they prevent the lazy jib sheet from flopping around and twisting. Well worth it!

--
Philip
--
[quote=P.M.]
bjarnuhh81567Hey Philip,

As for the springs, they prevent the lazy jib sheet from flopping around and twisting. Well worth it!

X2
On our 5.0 without the springs, the blocks wear the tramp. They only cost a few $, put them on.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--