Hobie Getaway replacement mast

My Getaway took a beating during a freak storm here in Central Indiana. Lower mast bent beyond repair and upper comp tip shattered. So, I need a new mast. All the local Hobie dealers don't have a replacement, and everything is backordered with no delivery dates.

What masts might be suitable replacements?

Can I source a carbon fiber replacement? I'm sure that's absurdly expensive and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Any options come to mind?

Thank you!

Edited by lonbordin on Apr 09, 2022 - 08:25 AM.
Carbon will be a challenge to source. Maybe a F16 carbon section, maybe.

I have a F18 mast for a Nacra Infusion/Evolution in like new condition that might be close. Main won’t be a perfect fit but that probably doesn’t matter unless you are racing. Bigger headache will likely be the mast base, for whatever section you go with. You need something compatible with the step on the main beam, which May require modifying something to suit.
samc99us Bigger headache will likely be the mast base, for whatever section you go with. You need something compatible with the step on the main beam, which May require modifying something to suit.

My idea was to cut off the base of the current mast and use it with the new mast... that was my idea at least.
Quote. Bigger headache will likely be the mast base, for whatever section you go with. You need something compatible with the ste

anything is possible with tools and skills
MN3anything is possible with tools and skills

True. I would like to make it as easy as possible. If the mast base fit in another mast without modifications...that's more than halfway there. I haven't seen a Getaway mast profile vs others to know what is most similar. That's why I posted. icon_biggrin

Edited by lonbordin on Apr 09, 2022 - 06:55 PM.
I'm going on memory here but I remember hearing the H17 replacement mast uses the getaway extrusion. I'll compare the 2 next time I'm at the club. If that's right you might be able to use a 17 mast. I have an extra but it wouldn't be worth the trip here(wilmington nc)
H16 mast and rig, I think can be done as well, if I recall correctly. Go to Hobie.com, forums and search it. I think some one has done it before.

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
West coast sailing and backyard boats both seem to have the entire mast assembly available.
windflowerWest coast sailing and backyard boats both seem to have the entire mast assembly available.

I hadn't ever heard of Backyard... I've put in an order... we'll see if they can deliver. Thanks!
lonbordin
windflowerWest coast sailing and backyard boats both seem to have the entire mast assembly available.

I hadn't ever heard of Backyard... I've put in an order... we'll see if they can deliver. Thanks!

They couldn't deliver, no ETA from Hobie... Sucks.

--
LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
Trac 18
Bloomington, IN
--
If I recall correctly, the mast base on a Hobie 17 mast will hook right up. Hobie 17's are frequently available for cheap, especially if the hulls are in poor condition, so I'd be on the lookout for one. Even a decent Hobie 17 would be cheaper than buying a new mast from the dealer.

The Hobie 16 mast base is completely different. If you changed the base, a Hobie 16 mast would work.

For either option, you may have to make new custom forestay/shrouds or install a new hound at the correct location.

According to my records, the Hobie 17 mast length is 27.65', the Hobie 16 is 26.5, and the Getaway is 25'.