soon to be first time cat owner

Hello to all I will soon be living on the Maroochy River and have decided that sailing will be my past time as I can have a toy parked right out front. Now I have had power boats previously but my sailing experience consists of cruising and wild weather sailing on a large Trimaran and a 12m yacht (which was a hoot but who has that sort of spare coin for toys), a bit of wind surfing all 28 years ago and recently a crack at kiting so I guess you could say SFA experience. Now I am a bit of a adrenalin junky and have no interest in bobbing along on a keel boat so I am getting a cat and have narrowed choices down to a Nacra 5.0 or a Nacra 5.8. I like the idea of no dagger boards on the 5.0 but am a little concerned that it might struggle with my 96kg + the wife when she comes along. But on the other hand I like the size of the 5.8 particularly when my 21 year old son joins me as I am sure we will want to fly the hull high and fast once we get through the learning curve. I have locally reasonably priced options of a supposedly well-cared for 5.8 (not inspected yet) or a 5.0 that is in OK condition. I don’t expect to be sailing in heavy winds until I get the skills up to a solid standard. I have found good threads on here lamenting the pros and cons of the two boats for learning.
My question is, those that have a 5.0 will it suit my wants or should I get the 5.8?
I am sure I will have a million other questions over the coming days, weeks, months years

--
Nacra 5.0
Sunshine coast
Australia
--
Don't forget the Nacra 500 which is an updated and improved version of the 5.0. Likewise, the 570 is an updated and improved 5.7. The 5.8 is a totally different animal. My point is, if you're considering the 5.0, you have to consider those other boats as well. I owned a 500 for ten years and take it from me, it's a nice boat solo but many times double handed I wish it had more power.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
The Mrs and I sail a 5.8, we're still novices, but we're having a blast. The dagger boards arent really an issue, great boat, very buoyant, and hoots along!!

My biggest question would be, are you planning or wanting to sail solo, as the 5.8 is a lot of boat, and while doable, I'm yet to hear of anyone doing it regularly, and it would be a PITA to right.
The 5.0 will take one up or two up, might not be as fast as the 5.8 with two on board, but allows the option of solo'ing.

The 570's and 500's aren't common in Aus (I could be wrong but I'm yet to see one).

A few tips from my experience:
- does the tramp have straight or zig zag stitching, if straight, expect it to be replaced sooner rather than later
- check for any damage where the boards go through the hull
- carefully check the mast and beams for any holes, corrosion or pitting
- check the holes on the beam where the dolphin striker attaches, are these elongated or in good shape (round)? (tough one to see)
- the mast ball should be about 75mm above the beam, if it's not, the dolphin striker may be stretched or the above holes have been stretched
- check the hulls for any damage or repair work, not always a big issue, as the fibreglass boats can be repaired easily, but needs to be done well
- check the beam straps aren't screwed tight over the beams on both screws, There should be a gap. both screws should have an even'ish space between the strap and the hull, or at least have a gap on one side.

Edited by johnoau on Apr 08, 2022 - 02:11 PM.

--
1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
605 Nacra 4.5
Cleveland Yacht Club
Brisbane, AU
--
Yes Bill the 500 looks great and your are right Johno examples are rare in the SEQ and my budget dictates 5.0, 5.2, 5.7 and 5.8. Of these I have narrowed it down to the two mentioned. I think most sailing initially will be two up but that may change with time but where I am moving to I don’t expect much trouble finding willing crew. Thanks for the inspection tips. To begin with we will be sailing around Shorncliffe, Redcliff and Bribie but in 12 months or so we will move to Maroochydore and sail the waters up there. What area are you sailing Johno?

--
Nacra 5.0
Sunshine coast
Australia
--
startinoutWhat area are you sailing Johno?

We sail at Cleveland Yacht Club, so south Moreton bay.

--
1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
605 Nacra 4.5
Cleveland Yacht Club
Brisbane, AU
--
Since you are new to this, I would strongly recommend the 5.7 over the 5.8. Both will be a handful but the 5.7 less so. If you have to sail out through any kind of shore break the extra step of getting the boards down before you can sail to weather is problematic especially if you are by yourself. With the 5.7, losing a degree or two to weather won't be noticed. Don't forget the fact that the 5.7 is boomless. Also, if you're not married to Nacra, an original Prindle 18 might suit you.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
I would expect a lot of Nacra 500s going on sale soon, as the new "shiny" Nacra 500 Mk2 hits the market.

--
High Point, NC

Exploder A15 A-Class Catamaran
Hobie FX One Catamaran
Hobie Tandem Island Trimaran
Weta Trimaran
--
Why not put the 5.5 on your list?

Plenty of room for two, still very manageable single handed including pushing in/out of the water on wheels.
Well the so advertised "great condition 5.8" was not so great condition so going to put in an offer on the 5.0. There is no 5.5s available around here. I think the 5.0 will suit perfectly a a first cat and I will upgrade later if I get the urge, wonder if I can convince the Misso we need a 30 foot cat. Thanks for all the advice

--
Nacra 5.0
Sunshine coast
Australia
--
startinout the 5.0 will suit perfectly a a first cat and I will upgrade later if I get the urge,

I'm glad it worked out this way for you.
This is a good plan- a cat you can handle in your "novice" time that will go well and whet your appetite for more speed in the future. More speed comes from a larger and more technical cat, and to work up to this challenge after having learned what good sailing feels like in your butt is the best way to move on.
Enjoy the journey.
If it makes you smile as you fall asleep, you are on the right road.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Fantastic. You will love the 5.0. Main thing is to just get out.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--