SC19 traveler

Anyone here have the Harken track version? I have the old wire traveler, am thinking about upgrading, and have a few questions.

--
Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
1983 SuperCat 19
TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
Mystere 17
Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
--
I have a few different 22mm tracks and travelers. What seems to be the problem? All travelers are repairable and there are repair kits and balls available.

Edited by revintage on Nov 08, 2021 - 04:28 AM.

--
Brgds
Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
--
This is a very SC19-specific question. The problem is that there's no track or car - it's an old boat that has a wire instead. So I'd like to quiz someone with a later/converted 19 on some details of their setup, which I think probably uses the 27mm track.

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
--
Aha, interesting. Checked the specs for it and you shouldn´t need more than a 22mm track if you use the long traveler(WL almost 600kg, BL over 1100kg)). Found your thread on Aquarius forum, but no big help there, as it seems. I use a 22mm low track with M5 Rivnuts on my newly built round beams for an Inter 20 main. If you are worried, go for a high track. A single M5 Rivnut in aluminium is capable of in the ballpark of 8000N(ca 1800lbs) pull before ripping out the threads, so no need for backing plates.
But I guess this isn´t the only problem as the tramp is swept around the beam.
Hope you find someone who has actually done the specific conversion.

Edited by revintage on Nov 08, 2021 - 11:52 AM.

--
Brgds
Lars

Aerow trimaran foiler

--
Yeah, there are some details. I've been looking at the Harken catalog and specs, and though a 22mm should do it, I'm a big "compatibility" geek and would prefer to go with whatever the "standard" is. The kit Tom supplies uses a backing bar, so I'm pretty sure I'll go that route too. I have an appropriate extrusion for the tramp, so if I can pull it off the boat before I'm up to my mast in snow (did you get that cheesy pun?) I should be able to get it modified over the winter; again, I can probably wing it but it'd be nice to get measurements from someone who actually has one.

Lots to think about once those basics are dealt with, of course. A certain Mr. Farmer strongly recommended a windward sheeting setup, so I'll be working that out in my choice of a car and cleats.

Edited by jonathan162 on Nov 08, 2021 - 05:25 PM.

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
--
Looking forward to the result. The backing bar with threaded holes is a good idea and shouldn´t be very hard to build and fit.

--
Brgds
Lars

Aerow trimaran foiler

--
Working on this boat is really changing my thinking on some stuff. When I was resealing my mast to factory spec in the spring, Tom told me that he doesn't use any pop rivets in his boats - everything's machine screwed. So although I'm plenty fond of nutserts, and they can be the only answer where you have to use a blind fastener, that's not the case here so I'll go with the backing bar (whether that extends to mounting the tramp extrusion to the crossbeam is another question).

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
--
QuoteWorking on this boat is really changing my thinking on some stuff. When I was resealing my mast to factory spec in the spring, Tom told me that he doesn't use any pop rivets in his boats - everything's machine screwed.

I have been fortunate to have had several conversations with Tom Haberman through the years and most of the time he changed my thinking as well. Great guy.

I can send some pics and measurements from a SC21 if you think it would help....
When I fetched the boat from Long Island I made a point of a little detour through MN to meet Tom - two years ago, almost to the day. Weather had turned sharply bad, cold as hell out, and I was jammin' my last leg home after staying over with an old pal in Madison, but was having such a great time chatting that I couldn't tear myself away until well after dark - must have hung out for at least four hours. Really looking forward to getting together with him again... now that the border's reopening today.

Hmm... 8.5' beam on the 21, huh? Dimensions may not be that different than the 19 - I didn't realize the 21 was that narrow - expected it to be a lot wider, like the 20. Sure, anything you can feed me would be great - photos, track dims, etc.

Edited by jonathan162 on Nov 08, 2021 - 12:50 PM.

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
--
I've redone a couple SC 20's and a couple SC17's. Tom's help was invaluable, great company and guy.

When I redid the last 20 he also told me he didn't like using rivets, so I went with his advice and drilled and tapped everything. Think my last count was nearing 75 drilled and tapped screws.... On that 20 I went from the wire traveler to the track, great upgrade but a pain. Part of the problem was the beam was 12ft, so the track was 8ft or more! Per Tom I installed a backing plate inside the beam for the track. That was a major pain to do. I had to not only drill/tap the beam but the backing plate as well.

--
Mac
Midlands South Carolina
AHPC Viper USA 366
A Cat USA 366
Super Cat 17
--
Yeah, the 20... I think there's one in my future, and I'm chagrinned over being stuck with the wire traveler (now that I know how ugly it is) because I want a telescoping/trailerable one. So even though I'm planning to convert this 19 to the track, I just bought a Servo cleat (and an assortment of the guides for it) for the traveler to see whether it makes much of an improvement over the stock cam cleat. If it does, I'll be able to apply that to the expected 20.

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
--
I had a chance to sail a buddy's SC19 once. I really hated the wire "traveler" set-up. Adding a Harken track is easy; look how the older Nacra 5.8s are set up. They have (maybe) 1/2" holes on the bottom of each bolt fastener that will fit a socket end. I think modify the trampoline with the stems on the back side of the beam (like the Tornadoes and other modern boats). The Nacra 5.8 did not have any backing plates. It is not needed. The Harken small boat track is more than sufficient for the 19.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
The backing plates on my 20 may have been necessary because of the size of the sail/boat loads. At the end of the day Tom Haberman said to put one in so I did!

Jonathan, the 20's are great boats but a bear on land. Once launched they are wonderful. Trailering them is not fun, but the expanding beams help some. I had one piece beams fabricated on my last one, so it had to be fully disassembled. Needless to say, it didn't go many places.

--
Mac
Midlands South Carolina
AHPC Viper USA 366
A Cat USA 366
Super Cat 17
--
I totally get that. Until I live on a lake, I have to trailer, and I don't want to be limited to an 8' beam - or a tilt. I do difficult sailing in difficult places with (some) difficult boats. Why should this part of it be any different?

--
1983 SuperCat 19
Mystere 17
--