Does anyone store their cat on a floating dock attached to a mooring?

I got a Nacra 500 a few months ago and love it, but I am hoping to cut down the amount of time I have to spend rigging it. There are no mast up storage places near me. However, there are lots of boats on moorings (other kinds of boats, not beach cats).

So I've gotten thinking that maybe I could store the cat -- with mast up -- on a moored float. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations about how to do it?

Looking online I've seen small drive-on floating drydocks for things like jetskis and small sailboats that seem great in terms of convenience. But I don't know if they can be moored (rather than attached to a dock along the shore). They're also expensive. Maybe there's a homebuilt solution?

Of course, I would need to row out to the moored dock to get to the cat, but that's not a problem because I already have water access where I keep a dinghy.

Any ideas and maybe even photos would be great.

Edited by ne-sail2 on Oct 19, 2021 - 03:07 PM.

--
Pete
Nacra 500
Maine, USA
--
I did it occasionally, I don't know how it works on the long term. Look at the beginning of this video, at 0:02
https://vimeo.com/154807576

It was well protected from the wind and waves, I would be cautions if the place is more exposed. I would definitely lock mast rotation, because it will be constantly swinging, which can produce fatigue on the shrouds and cut them after enough times (don't ask me how I know...). Adding a rotator arm pointing forward and cleats on the beam is easy to do and very effective to lock the mast. And you can use it to sail too, or to stabilize the mast when you move the boat with the trailer with the mast up. Sliding the boat in and out was easy but on that configuration, completely on the water it might be tougher, probably a block attached to one end of the dock would help as a sort of winch. Hard to say. I think you would have to remove the sails before moving the cat into the dock. Rowing a cat solo with wind might be quite difficult.
ne-sail2I got a Nacra 500 a few months ago and love it, but I am hoping to cut down the amount of time I have to spend rigging it. There are no mast up storage places near me. However, there are lots of boats on moorings (other kinds of boats, not beach cats).

So I've gotten thinking that maybe I could store the cat -- with mast up -- on a moored float. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations about how to do it?

Looking online I've seen small drive-on floating drydocks for things like jetskis and small sailboats that seem great in terms of convenience. But I don't know if they can be moored (rather than attached to a dock along the shore). They're also expensive. Maybe there's a homebuilt solution?

Of course, I would need to row out to the moored dock to get to the cat, but that's not a problem because I already have water access where I keep a dinghy.

Any ideas and maybe even photos would be great.Edited by ne-sail2 on Oct 19, 2021 - 03:07 PM.

I had in the past. I grew up on a canal and we had 2 Nacra 5.8s on the floating dock and two more boats stored in the yard, all with mast up and ready to sail. We had full boat covers. Mine was build like a deck with 2x6's with styrofoam, but I build a floating house using 55-gallon plastic barrels. Where I am now, I am considering building a floating dock with barrels. The pre-fabbed drive up docks are very expensive (about $8k for a 20' powerboat). I did always have the boat tied down. Depending on how much you can lift, getting the boat on was a small challenge in my 20s; I would recommend a block and tackle. Or, if you want to get spunky, build the dock with one end lower to make loading easier. You could also have one side of the barrels submerge (be sure to secure them to the dock) and use a hand air pump to raise the dock up. If you do build a dock, make it bigger than you think. Having an extra area in front of the boat is nice to relax after a nice sail. You can also use it as a floating "happy hour bar" on no-wind days.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
I kept a hobie 18 on a old set of hobie 18 hulls years ago. Made beams out of 4x4 by 12'. Had a 2x12 plank in middle with a winch.
Had rollers on rear beam and carpet on front . Worked great because when I went to the rear and lifted front of boat by bridal the rear rollers were close to water level. Would then pull boat as far as I could by hand then use small winch hooked to front cross bar to finish . Then Would use a strap across rear 4x4 to secure rear and winch rope was tight under front cross bar. It was set up in silp on a dock on a fairly large creek. One foot boat or wind waves were not a problem , but larger might be. Could work on a mooring if bigger waves are present. Bonus would be you could set sails up when on lift. This was much easier than using cat tracks on beach. I was 150lbs at time and had no problems doing it by myself. I have kept my Tomcat 6.2 for years on a mooring. Used a large truck tire full of concrete with a hole in middle for a chain to go through. Make sure to use a swivel and bridal to connect to boat.
I found for the cat the shortest scope of chain worked best to keep boat from wandering so much.
I made similar setup for my Supercat, but ended up just putting bottom paint on it after having to do a bottom repairs. It's kept on a small canal.
Phillip

--
Tomcat 6.2
Supercat 20 / 17
Searunner 16 Tri home built
--
How deep is the water where you will keep your Cat?
We keep 3 of 4 cats on modified Seadoo lifts beside my dock. The bay I’m on is relatively sheltered, with a long point fending the big waves. The effective fetch is only about 2.5 miles. The lifts keep the hulls about 18” above the water. I’ve had the N5.0 blow partially over in a big storm, but we’ve never had anything serious happen.
It makes getting going very fast, my record is 7 minutes, with the N5.7
Here’s how we kept the Mystere 6.0 XL (20x10 13’ with the wings).
https://www.thebeachcats.…396&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
https://www.thebeachcats.…559&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
AndinistaI did it occasionally, I don't know how it works on the long term. Look at the beginning of this video, at 0:02
https://vimeo.com/154807576

It was well protected from the wind and waves, I would be cautions if the place is more exposed. I would definitely lock mast rotation, because it will be constantly swinging, which can produce fatigue on the shrouds and cut them after enough times (don't ask me how I know...). Adding a rotator arm pointing forward and cleats on the beam is easy to do and very effective to lock the mast. And you can use it to sail too, or to stabilize the mast when you move the boat with the trailer with the mast up. Sliding the boat in and out was easy but on that configuration, completely on the water it might be tougher, probably a block attached to one end of the dock would help as a sort of winch. Hard to say. I think you would have to remove the sails before moving the cat into the dock. Rowing a cat solo with wind might be quite difficult.

Such a great video! Makes me want to go sail right now. The setup at the beginning of the video looks great. I don't know if it's possible to have something like it on a mooring and then winch the cat up onto it. The place is pretty well protected from wind and waves, although it does get the occasional powerboat wake (despite being a no-wake zone).

--
Pete
Nacra 500
Maine, USA
--
texastuma
ne-sail2I got a Nacra 500 a few months ago and love it, but I am hoping to cut down the amount of time I have to spend rigging it. There are no mast up storage places near me. However, there are lots of boats on moorings (other kinds of boats, not beach cats).

Any ideas and maybe even photos would be great.Edited by ne-sail2 on Oct 19, 2021 - 03:07 PM.

I had in the past. I grew up on a canal and we had 2 Nacra 5.8s on the floating dock and two more boats stored in the yard, all with mast up and ready to sail. We had full boat covers. Mine was build like a deck with 2x6's with styrofoam, but I build a floating house using 55-gallon plastic barrels. Where I am now, I am considering building a floating dock with barrels. The pre-fabbed drive up docks are very expensive (about $8k for a 20' powerboat). I did always have the boat tied down. Depending on how much you can lift, getting the boat on was a small challenge in my 20s; I would recommend a block and tackle. Or, if you want to get spunky, build the dock with one end lower to make loading easier. You could also have one side of the barrels submerge (be sure to secure them to the dock) and use a hand air pump to raise the dock up. If you do build a dock, make it bigger than you think. Having an extra area in front of the boat is nice to relax after a nice sail. You can also use it as a floating "happy hour bar" on no-wind days.

Thanks, great info and good idea about making the dock bigger so it can be used for happy hour.

--
Pete
Nacra 500
Maine, USA
--
foursailI kept a hobie 18 on a old set of hobie 18 hulls years ago. Made beams out of 4x4 by 12'. Had a 2x12 plank in middle with a winch.
Had rollers on rear beam and carpet on front . Worked great because when I went to the rear and lifted front of boat by bridal the rear rollers were close to water level. Would then pull boat as far as I could by hand then use small winch hooked to front cross bar to finish . Then Would use a strap across rear 4x4 to secure rear and winch rope was tight under front cross bar. It was set up in silp on a dock on a fairly large creek. One foot boat or wind waves were not a problem , but larger might be. Could work on a mooring if bigger waves are present. Bonus would be you could set sails up when on lift. This was much easier than using cat tracks on beach. I was 150lbs at time and had no problems doing it by myself. I have kept my Tomcat 6.2 for years on a mooring. Used a large truck tire full of concrete with a hole in middle for a chain to go through. Make sure to use a swivel and bridal to connect to boat.
I found for the cat the shortest scope of chain worked best to keep boat from wandering so much.
I made similar setup for my Supercat, but ended up just putting bottom paint on it after having to do a bottom repairs. It's kept on a small canal.
Phillip

Your setup with the old hobie hulls sounds good. I've seen some old pontoon boat hulls for sale near me, which might work for something similar to what you did.

--
Pete
Nacra 500
Maine, USA
--
Edchris177How deep is the water where you will keep your Cat?
We keep 3 of 4 cats on modified Seadoo lifts beside my dock. The bay I’m on is relatively sheltered, with a long point fending the big waves. The effective fetch is only about 2.5 miles. The lifts keep the hulls about 18” above the water. I’ve had the N5.0 blow partially over in a big storm, but we’ve never had anything serious happen.
It makes getting going very fast, my record is 7 minutes, with the N5.7
Here’s how we kept the Mystere 6.0 XL (20x10 13’ with the wings).
https://www.thebeachcats.…396&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
https://www.thebeachcats.…559&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Your setup looks perfect in those photos. I'd love to have that type of arrangement. Where I'll keep my cat the water is fairly deep -- around 20-25 feet. It's protected from big waves, but I have to say it does get a bit windy and wavy at times. Definitely not calm all the time. I think getting the cat up onto something like this would be fine for me. So the main challenge might be coming up with a lift/float that will be secure in not-so-calm conditions and not let the cat get rocked around too much. Definitely need to lock the mast rotation like Andinista said.

--
Pete
Nacra 500
Maine, USA
--