nacra 5.7 roller furling cleat for jib halyard

Hi I am having some trouble with the jib halyard
I have a cleat on the chain plate to secure the jib halyard.
Here is the picture
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135834&g2_serialNumber=3
Does anyone know if this cleat will hold the 3 mil spyderline recommended by EdChris?
3mm seems a little thin for the cleat. Is this the same type of cleat you use EdChris?
Also does the the top hole on the cleat need to be attached to the chainplate.
I have a lot of leftover line after pulling the sail up. How do you deal with this?
It has to wrapped up so it spins with the furler. I have been wrapping it around the cleat and chainplate but it takes forever. Also when lowering the sail quickly I have some difficulty with it wrapping up the forestay.

How do you secure the jib halyard when raising the mast?
You use a jib pigtail connected with sister clips (or simply tied together) to the jib halyard. Once you raise it you remove the pigtail. There are dozens of ways to tie off the halyard with or without the cleat.

--
Philip
--
Thanks I like the pigtail idea. Do you just store the pigtail in the car and reattached to lower the jib?

I assume the pigtail attachment needs to fit through the pulley at the top?
I would like as little extra halyard line as possible.

What is a sister clip?

Do you know if you can use a 3mm spyder line with the cleat picture above?
The less I have to tie the better and faster.

Also once the jib is raised, do you downhaul the jib?
I have just been attaching it to the forestay. but I think it could slide up the forestay a little.
QuoteDoes anyone know if this cleat will hold the 3 mil spyderline recommended by EdChris?

Get a 4” piece of line you plan on using...& try it. Don’t get hung up on 3mm, I had a roll of that, so that’s what I used, a bit thicker won’t matter,
Those Clam cleats are numbered, (should be on the bottom), for size. I have a couple of the ones in your photo, I think they are bigger than the ones shown in my album. (Go to my furling album, there are half dozen photos of the cleat we use on both ).They only cost a few $, get the smaller size.

QuoteAlso does the the top hole on the cleat need to be attached to the chainplate

No. Think about the loads imposed. They are an upwards force. Pin only the bottom, the load will pull the cleat into perfect alignment.
Note: I would pin the cleat a few holes up on the 10 hole adjuster. Where is is now makes it hard to pull the line into the teeth of the cleat. Higher up, the tail will hang free & not tangle or wrap around the drum. Again, look at the album photos.

QuoteI have a lot of leftover line after pulling the sail up. How do you deal with this?

As Philip stated above, use sister clips. Get the really small ones, they are only about 1cm. Raise the jib, feed the end through your clam cleat, then cut it off, leaving about 6” of “tail” through the cleat. Put this end into one of the sister clips, then tie a tiny stopper knot. Put the other sister clip on the leftover line. Hook them together to drop the jib. All you do now is pull the line to tension the jib & cleat it. Uncleat & let a few inches go to de-tension.
Now, you will find the clip will not go through those cleats with the captive feature. This is not an issue for me because my boat is rigged with jib up all summer. I only hook up the sister clip at the end of the season to drop the jib.
You will have to de-tension at the end of the day, furl the jib, then wrap some safeties around it, & leave it attached to the forestay. If you don’t want to do this, you’ll probably have to use a non captive cleat, or dispense with the cleat, & simply tie off the jib tension. It’s a bit of a PITA to undo the stopper knot, remove the sister clip, pull the line through the cleat, then remove-attach the sister clip each time.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
QuoteIt’s a bit of a PITA to undo the stopper knot, remove the sister clip, pull the line through the cleat, then remove-attach the sister clip each time.

Yes that sucks especially since it has to be done twice a day sometimes in windy conditions.
I think ill use a non captive cleat or a spliced in rope loop that can fit through the cleat.
I don't have the luxury of keeping it up
Thanks again for the help!
If you use a non captive cleat, leave the tail long enough to tie it off. If the line comes out of the cleat, it will run up the stay. You’ll have to tip the boat to retrieve it.
Maybe just pull the tension you want & tie off.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
I use have a 4:1 line tensioning system without a cleat. I just tie it back on itself each time. I tie the jib halyard tail to the bottom of the halyard and remove it when I sail. No big deal, takes about 10 seconds. The cleat is clever, but I think a bit overkill. 3/16" line works very well in the V-cleats. The cleat takes up a lot of space and it becomes bulky when you furl the jib. I can see making a 3:1 easily with the cleat idea. It is not like there is a lot of load or that you will be adjusting while under sail. I would suggest keeping it simple.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
QuoteThe cleat is clever, but I think a bit overkill. 3/16" line works very well in the V-cleats. The cleat takes up a lot of space and it becomes bulky when you furl the jib.

We use it because our cats are rigged & sit at my dock all summer. You simply pull tension, cleat, & go sailing. After return, simply uncleat, release some tension & furl.
The jib sits above the cleat, the sail never touches it. Once furled, the wrapped sail is much thicker than the little clam cleat, they are only what, 1 cm or so in height.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
where do you attach the tack of the jib?
i have been just attaching it to the forestay but it rides high since i pull the jib until it stops
Quotewhere do you attach the tack of the jib?

Take a look at some of the last photos in my “furling album”, under technical. It shows numerous attachments, some better than others.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--