Assorted Setup and Rigging Questions About My '93 Mystere 6.0

Hey Everyone,

So I recently bought a used '93 Mystere 6.0 and am now in the process of fixing it up. Rather than post a million individual topics I thought it would be easier to ask my questions here. I've gotten a ton of great information here so far so I will try not to repost questions I have already found answers to (the search bar is my friend lol)

1. It looks like the jib sheets are all one interconnected line that connects to pullies connected to the jib. Why is that? Also, there are two large pullied in the back corners which I originally thought were for individual jib sheets but now that doesn't appear to be the case. Below is an image of someone with a similar setup.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/80/aa/16/80aa16c53db5eeef36fb3757659d6ef4--catamaran-boats.jpg

2. Looking at the jib, it looks like the are keeping the forestay in a zippered sleeve that runs along the luff of the sail. Is that normal? I do have some furling hardware so maybe that is why? Does this change how you stand the mast up?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/3654/products/434_5a729d9e-c8f7-486f-8738-1a88b1715b2a_2000x.png?v=1631823143

3. I have seen pictures of the 6.0 with and without a spinnaker pole in the front. Can you rig the this without the spinnaker pole? Part of my reticence comes from never having sailed under spinnaker before so I'm clueless about deploying storing, etc.. The boat seems to have come with a like new Gennaker ( I'm assuming, it is a triangular sail almost as large as the main) which has some furling hardware at the top. Maybe the previous owner was using this has his headsail and sailing with it partially furled?

4. It appears like there is a lot of similarity between Nacra's and this Mystere when it comes to setup. Is that a reliable reference for pictures?
Quote1. It looks like the jib sheets are all one interconnected line that connects to pullies connected to the jib. Why is that? Also, there are two large pullied in the back corners which I originally thought were for individual jib sheets but now that doesn't appear to be the case.

one line so you can sheet and unsheet from both sides - pretty standard for beach cats. the image above is correct - it does have a barberhauler in that set up - a great thing to have but added lines and things to manage when sailing - so it is a Nice to have but not critical. I recommend learning with the basics and add controls / complexity as you grow.

the BLOCKS on the rear beam are for a giant spinnaker from the 90's - a lot of work for a single and or new sailor

Quote2. Looking at the jib, it looks like the are keeping the forestay in a zippered sleeve that runs along the luff of the sail. Is that normal? I do have some furling hardware so maybe that is why? Does this change how you stand the mast up?

forestay in the zipper is pretty standard for mny (not all) beach cats
change the way you stand the mast up? nope still pointy side up

Quote I have seen pictures of the 6.0 with and without a spinnaker pole in the front. Can you rig the this without the spinnaker pole?
Spin and pole not required at all - There are a few modern boats that you must have the spin pole on for the jib, but not most classic cats

QuoteThe boat seems to have come with a like new Gennaker ( I'm assuming, it is a triangular sail almost as large as the main) which has some furling hardware at the top. Maybe the previous owner was using this has his headsail and sailing with it partially furled?

My GUESS is it is an old / unused symmetrical spin - i would probably not ever use it on a mystere - they were dead down wind only, if you want in a few years to get into spinnakers, i would recommend a modern cut... a lot easier, more fun, and smaller

Quote4. It appears like there is a lot of similarity between Nacra's and this Mystere when it comes to setup. Is that a reliable reference for pictures?

not really the same boats - mysteres are basically based off the Olympic Tornado boat just a little smaller - but very similar (as are the Prindle 19's) and some other boats

I own a Mystere 5.5 and 6.0 . Google is your friend - this site has a lot but unfortunately lots of my old images were lost when old servers went away

Edited by MN3 on Sep 27, 2021 - 02:49 PM.
Quote3. I have seen pictures of the 6.0 with and without a spinnaker pole in the front. Can you rig the this without the spinnaker pole? Part of my reticence comes from never having sailed under spinnaker before so I'm clueless about deploying storing, etc.. The boat seems to have come with a like new Gennaker ( I'm assuming, it is a triangular sail almost as large as the main) which has some furling hardware at the top. Maybe the previous owner was using this has his headsail and sailing with it partially furled?

At the level it appears you are at, I would not consider the spinnaker at all. Once you learn the boat for a while, I would suggest finding someone who has run one before.. They can be fun, but when they go wrong, they can go wrong. Plus, it is a whole lotta crap on the boat. My guess of the genneker with furling hardware is that it was used as a top-down furler for a screacher.

For set-up, the first picture looked like you are about ready to go. I would suggest taking the boat to the beach, set it up and see what you can do from there. Go use the boat and see what needs attention. If something seems hard or difficult, it is probably wrong. Make sure to keep the boat as simple as possible; you'll use it more. Another reason I would suggest ditching the spin. It adds 30-45 minutes of set-up to your day. For years, I have kept the set-up of the boat extremely simple because I never had a lot of time to waste. I grew up with the catamaran rigged up in the back yard.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
Hello everyone,
Does anyone have a manual of instructions for the Mystere 6.0?
Thanks
Pablo
MN3 correctly advised you re most of your questions.
I used to own a 2001 Mystere 6.0 XL. I had beams for both 8’ width & 10’ width, along with a front tramp. I only ran it at 10’ width.
It had customized H21 wings, so was actually 14’ wide.
The two large rear corner blocks, (pulleys), are for a large spinnaker, DONT rig it, (or even the spin pole), til you get a good feel for sailing a Beast.
I used to solo my setup, spin included, there is a lot going on at the best of times, & difficulty goes up geometrically with wind speed. I could not solo right that boat.
You definitely want the furling jib to be useable. The factory furler looks lightweight, but it works well.
However, if I were 20 years younger, I’d still have it. There is nothing quite like moving at 20mph, in comfort, through 3’ seas, & knowing it could do more. I once had a Coast Guard (freshwater small displacement hulled boat), angle in for a presumed inspection. I had all the required gear, but what the hell, sheeted in, slightly changed course, & left him.
Here are a few albums I made, maybe some of the photos will be of use.
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=109394
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=109039
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=106792
https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=106278

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
Assorted Jib questions below:

1) It doesn't look like the forestay has a chainplate. Is that normal? If so, how do you adjust rig tension?

2) If I need to add a stay/shroud adjuster, would that go above the furler before attaching to the bridle wires? So top down it would be forestay, stay/shroud adjuster, furler, bridle plate, bridle wires, chainplate, hull) Just thinking logistically.

3) In drawings of the Hobie 18 jib (which appears identical to what I have) there is an additional section of wire above the top swivel. I don't have that on mine. Do I need to have this made or can the swivel attach to the shackle on the mast with the shrouds?